OVH Community, your new community space.

Connect to a VPN while in Windows remote desktop. What will happen ?

metalspfc
04-02-2010, 18:50
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Ah, you're missing something in the explanation then. You are trying something like this:
Code:
OVH Server -> (vpn) -> Server Closer to Hosing Site -> Hosting Site
In that case, yes, speeds could improve.

I thought you'd meant:
Code:
OVH Server -> (vpn) -> Hosting Site
And in that case, you're simply hiding a problem from view (and thus the problem will still exist and not improve speeds).
I do mean:

But the VPN itself is on another server... I can get VPN's located in Canada, USA, etc...

Myatu
04-02-2010, 18:24
Ah, you're missing something in the explanation then. You are trying something like this:
Code:
OVH Server -> (vpn) -> Server Closer to Hosing Site -> Hosting Site
In that case, yes, speeds could improve.

I thought you'd meant:
Code:
And in that case, you're simply hiding a problem from view (and thus the problem will still exist and not improve speeds).

metalspfc
04-02-2010, 18:01
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
A VPN is a tunnel between two sites, and both sides need to support it. Furthermore, it will not improve speeds since it's still using the same route as usual (only traffic inside the tunnel won't notice this).
Im probably missing something, but if VPN works like a tunnel, and the route OVH to VPN is different and faster then the route from OVH to file hosting site, and the route from VPN to file hosting site is also good/fast, then wont the speed improve ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley
Can you not run a socks proxy instead of an entire VPN?

I know my EG Max gets better upload speeds when using a Socks5 proxy to my SP BestOf
I dont see why not try it, added you to MSN

Thanks a lot to both

Ashley
04-02-2010, 16:07
Can you not run a socks proxy instead of an entire VPN?

I know my EG Max gets better upload speeds when using a Socks5 proxy to my SP BestOf

Myatu
04-02-2010, 16:06
A VPN is a tunnel between two sites, and both sides need to support it. Furthermore, it will not improve speeds since it's still using the same route as usual (only traffic inside the tunnel won't notice this).

metalspfc
04-02-2010, 16:00
Hey guys

In order to try to fix what i believe to be a connectivity / route problem between OVH and a couple file hosting sites ( when i try to upload something from OVH server to those sites, the upload speed stays at 5 (five) k/s ), i wanted to test connecting to a VPN

I thought that if connections between OVH to VPN and VPN to file hosting sites are good, also assuming that the VPN have a decent speed, then it could work

What you guys think ? What will happen if i connect OVH server to a VPN ? Will my remote desktop connection drop ?

Thanks a lot