OVH Community, your new community space.

Proxmox, CentOS/Debian (KVM), XenServer, Suse(Xen) or ESXi

brgroup
06-02-2010, 16:44
XenCenter (XenServer) has a small bandwidth adjustment entry field in the network config panel of each VM..I've tried it briefly and it didn't work, but maybe there's other adjustments to be made there...

Squid delay pools?

I'm also looking into using TC in OpenVZ (ProxMox) to start shaping traffic. It's all new to me but here's an explanation:
OPENVZ Traffic Shaping

Ashley
05-02-2010, 23:50
Quote Originally Posted by Paw-Fox
I wouldn't mind using Virtuozzo but you have to pay for it.
oh really?

damn.

What virtual services can set virtual network connections so I can limit one VM to 10mbps but another to 30mbps etc?

Paw-Fox
05-02-2010, 23:40
I wouldn't mind using Virtuozzo but you have to pay for it.

Ashley
05-02-2010, 21:54
Anyone used Virtuozzo?

Paw-Fox
05-02-2010, 21:07
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
Another plus point for Proxmox is that we have Myatu on the forums who seems to know lots if you get stuck!
Always a added plus :P - I woudn't mind with try proxmox, but as I am paying half / half with a buddy of mine it works pretty well.

"Myatu - The Proxmox GOD"

DigitalDaz
05-02-2010, 20:53
Another plus point for Proxmox is that we have Myatu on the forums who seems to know lots if you get stuck!

Paw-Fox
05-02-2010, 20:10
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
Proxmox over xen for me because the containers in openvz only use the RAM the need.

I ruled out ESXi because I heard that the free version only handles 4 cores.
That is correct. I'm stuck on only using 4cores as I'm with kimsufi on the i7 package.

DigitalDaz
05-02-2010, 19:42
Proxmox over xen for me because the containers in openvz only use the RAM the need.

I ruled out ESXi because I heard that the free version only handles 4 cores.

Paw-Fox
05-02-2010, 13:45
I'm personally using ESXi as it just so nice to use. Granted it's still in beta but i've had no problems with it.

If you're getting the problem with the installer saying it coudn't be rebooted, try installing a basic linux os, (EG: Debian) giving it a few mins to sync and then reinstall esx-i thats how I got mine to work atleast. It's hit or miss, so try it atleast three times before giving up - it's a pain but once it does it, its nice.

The reasons why I like esx-i is just how it performs. It manages the vpc's wonderfully comes with it's own console which is hell more responsive then Xen and is pretty easy to work with.

I've had no problems with it, and would recommend. I haven't tested windows 7 on it, but it runs fantasic with 2k3 and 2k8.

yatesco
05-02-2010, 10:53
Hi all,

I have been running Proxmox which has been fantastic. On an EG I run around 6 containers and 6 KVM machines, half Java Debian, the rest Win7.

And it rocks - no worries. There are one or two random downtimes, which I interpret to mean the machine needs rebooting, but that might be a network issue or unrelated.

Anyway, I am getting a new server and as I am sure all geeks will appreciate, want to investigate all the different approaches.

So, my question is does anybody have any useful (please don't tell me to google - been there) bits of advice to offer as to the performance benefits of the three solutions? I don't care about management that much - there is no cluster or HA involved. I just want a performant, rock solid machine.

My concern with proxmox is that it uses a fairly old kernel (with up-to-date patches, sure). I wonder if CentOS would give more up-to-date Windows drivers?

Previously I ran ubuntu server and created the same setup (although all VMs were KVM) using virt-manager. This was OK, but some technical issues (windows reboot failed if there it had more than 1 VCPU).

I also had a play with XenServer, and it was great as it goes. Not entirely sold on the windows client, but can swallow that. I didn't like the messy interface though (all those template files) or the pain of backing up the VMs (i.e. taking a copy of the VM, not backup inside the VM). I was also disappointed and concerned that the debian 5 install CD couldn't be used and there was no template for Windows 7.

I haven't played with Xen, although I would imagine I would use virt-manager to manage it on CentOS, Debian or OpenSuSE.

The only one I haven't played with is ESXi due to some technical issues with the OVH installer.

So, what do you guys recommend? If I have to stay with Proxmox, that is indeed no great hardship - it rocks. I am just a *little* concerned about the windows performance/age of the kernel/drivers.

Ta