OVH Community, your new community space.

High Bandwidth Costs

RimBlock
02-04-2010, 05:48
Quote Originally Posted by curiosity
Marks and RimBlock

I think you missed the point of the original post

The example of the total cost was exactly as it says , ..... an example admittedly an extreme example but non the less an example.
The point being raised was Extra bandwidth has just DOUBLED and how will it affect already EXISTING servers.
Not really. Just bringing the figures to a more realistic level. The original post asked if we found 600 for 34TB a bit excessive. As noted the figure was out by 30 odd percent or 200 quid. Seemed reasonible to give a more accurate figure.

I also have only been looking at Ovh for the last month so have no idea what the charges used to be as to memory they have been these values for the last month. I tend to think of 'just changed' to cover a few days but I am aware others may use it to cover a larger expanse of time.

As for applying to older servers, that was directed to Ovh, hence no mention of it in my reply. It is a very valid question for those with servers already who are broaching their 'quota'.

Even with the bandwidth charges being half the price, going from 10TB to 20TB would still cost 87.50 which is is still more expensive than a second EG_Bof at 82.24 (inc) and you get twice the disk and cpu, it can be used as a failover solution but, I do apperciate it does involve twice the work to administer and so is not for everyone.

I do of course totally agree with the comment about lack of notification to customers about the change as highlighted by Myatu's link. Saying that, after only one month checking the forums here, this seems to be the way Ovh operate, and it is known that they have a policy of not telling their customers if you read the forums. Of course not everyone has the time or interest to do so...

Cheers
RB

Myatu
01-04-2010, 18:11
Mm-hmm: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3683

_Lemon_
01-04-2010, 17:40
Quote Originally Posted by curiosity
Marks and RimBlock

The example of the total cost was exactly as it says , ..... an example admittedly an extreme example but non the less an example.
The point being raised was Extra bandwidth has just DOUBLED and how will it affect already EXISTING servers.
Yes it did affect existing servers and no we did not get a notification about it. This is a change in contract change that requires the customer being notified.

The cost of this is a bit silly too -- why should it be cheaper to purchase a new server than to just buy extra bandwidth?

curiosity
01-04-2010, 13:40
Marks and RimBlock

Quote Originally Posted by _Lemon_
So extra bandwidth has just doubled: £17.50 for 1TB (incl. VAT because people in the UK pay it).
editted

Questions to OVH: Will this apply to previously purchased servers or not? Will previously purchased servers be getting "lower priority" traffic such as what happened with the "mass infrastructure" servers?

RimBlock
01-04-2010, 13:27
Eg's are entry level.

100Mbit = 12.5MByte/s
12.5*60*60*24 = /day =1,080,000MBytes / day
Average 30 days = *30 = 32,400,00 MBytes / month
-10,000,000 quota = 22,400,000 / month
17.50*22.4=392.17

So 392.17 + server rental cost to max out the 100MBit connection.

Saying that, that is an awful lot of data to be downloading and thowing away as there is no where an EG can store that much and uploading it to a local machine will reduce what can be downloaded.

Upgrade to a MG or HG for more data. That is what those packages are there for.

RB

marks
01-04-2010, 12:06
That comes out to about £600/month for 100Mbps (£17.50 * 34TB)
this 34TB is the maximum traffic you can get running your server at 100Mbps, which is quite improbable it will happen (if your server is running all the time at 100Mbps, you better start thinking on getting more servers in).

In any case, you must count that the first 10TB are included in the server for free. So the extra cost of running a 100Mbps constantly per month would be 24TB

Thelen
01-04-2010, 11:06
Yes I find 600GBP for 100Mbit worth of data to be extremely expensive. Even assuming administration costs and the like, OVH can/should be buying full 10Gbps links from Telia/Cogent/Equinix etc for a tad over 10,000GBP. So it does indeed follow as quite strange that what they get for 10k GPB they are selling for 60k GPB.

On the other hand, they do have a hugenormous long payoff time for their server hardware, so perhaps this is how they make up for it. Oh, plus all the unlimited/unmetered servers they are still letting customers use (so basically, new customers subsidizing the old)

gigabit
08-02-2010, 21:24
£600/month for 100mbits worth of traffic - or £130 for a 100mbit unmetered business connection!

Ashley
08-02-2010, 14:48
I don't mind those additional costs providing I could actually use the entire 1gbps pipe if required before I'm set back to 10mbps.

_Lemon_
08-02-2010, 14:43
The EG Best Of (and all others) page now reads:

"**: Traffic is unlimited. If you exceed 10 TB / month, the connection will be limited to 10 Mbps. 1 Gbps you will be allocated additional TB(s) of traffic with this purchase. £14.90 Ex. VAT per additional TB."

So extra bandwidth has just doubled: £17.50 for 1TB (incl. VAT because people in the UK pay it).

That comes out to about £600/month for 100Mbps (£17.50 * 34TB). Do you not find this slightly expensive?

I am very aware that not all bandwidth is equal and costs can vary greatly, and that you could probably pay this for tier 1 services and such. However OVH's network isn't on par with this. Connections to the US regularly get 5kb/s depending on the datacentre room the server is in.

Questions to OVH: Will this apply to previously purchased servers or not? Will previously purchased servers be getting "lower priority" traffic such as what happened with the "mass infrastructure" servers?