OVH Community, your new community space.

MoBlock - Debian 4.0/32bit OVH Basic

Palad1n
28-05-2008, 18:04
I have DONE IT......

I re-compiled the Kernel with ALL NETFILTER options as Modules, NOT in Kernel.
I used 2.6.25.4 (latest 28-5-08), OVH-Config, then ran MAKE MODULES, MAKE MODULES_INSTALL, rebooted, and installed MOBLOCK without a hitch.....

So, something in MOBLOCK does not like NETFILTER being compiled into the Kernel.

Oh well, sorted now....

Palad1n
26-05-2008, 17:32
If you look at MoBlock it does not enter into IPTABLES, it uses NETFILTER to lookup out to MoBlock and check if in Blocklist or not.

I use Shorewall with a few select China/Russia Ranges in Blacklist but it is already 56 lines long.

depmod -a, just returns console with no errors/output.

DarkOrb
26-05-2008, 14:33
Adding a large number of host's into iptables will slow things down over time, I personaly use fail2ban which protects alot more stuff (ssh, ftp, smtp, apache) if you want it to and has the perk of only banning abusive hosts proactively.

Anyway, in answer to your question have you done

"depmod -a" without the quotes?

Palad1n
26-05-2008, 14:01
Hi,

I have reached a point where I can go no more without help.

I am trying to get MoBlock running on my Debian 4.0/32bit (ovh Basic).
URL: http://moblock.berlios.de/

I have added DEB Sources, then apt-get install moblock.
It fails with :
2008-05-26 12:51:44 CEST Begin: moblock-control start
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.24.5-grsec-xxxx-grs-ipv4-32/modules.dep: No such file or directory
* Error 170: Could not load kernel module ipt_NFQUEUE, not starting MoBlock!

I re-compiled a Kernel 2.6.25.4, using ovh config, and adding ALL NetFilter options, did MAKE MODULES, MAKE MODULES_INSTALL. I get /lib/modules folder OK.

But Still get same error....

Can anyone please see if they can get it going, I only use Debian so Gentoo etc would be no good for me...

If OVH read this, can you please test on your end...

I want to use it to block CHINA/Russia from SSH & SMTP connections every 10mins!

I have built a Debian 4.0 VM from CD and Moblock installs without any problems, which leads me to it being something on OVH/Kernel config maybe.
I do not want to NOT use the OVH config, and the Debian build does not use Lilo but GRUB so no bzImage to transfer.

Any advice/guideance would be appriciated

PS: I have googled until my mouse bled.....