OVH Community, your new community space.

Ram.

Nuend0
12-02-2010, 10:13
If your friend is uploading graphics & movies there's little point in them being compressed first as these are binary formats and you'll see very little change in overall size
only bonus is that they're all packaged together in 1 package but if that's what you or your friend like then use the lowest compression settings & you'll be able to decompress much faster once it's on the server

Andy
11-02-2010, 13:59
2008 R2 is only available in 64bit, so you're already using a 64bit edition of Windows.

7zip is used because of it's compression. If you don't want to wait as long, don't compress it (though this may increase file size and thus uploading time depending on the files in the archive, so you may be better waiting for it to uncompress).

derchris
11-02-2010, 13:39
Then use a 64bit install of Windoze

dwummers
11-02-2010, 13:27
Just a quick question.

I have the EG BestOF, which I use at work, (soon to be used for some webhosting).

I do quite a bit of graphic work and animation (ranging from clips and movies). One of my friends has recently finished his project and he uploaded it to sendspace (took him some time, just over 9gb in size. He also uploaded it in something called 7zip. So I downloaded it, and used this 7zip to put into a folder, and it took about 2 hours to unzip .

I was reading some stuff saying that 32-bit processors only utilize 3gb of ram, regardless of how much is installed - in my case 8gb. (I am using the Windows Server 2008 Web Edition SP2 - 32bit).

If I was to use say, Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition would that allow me to use all 8gb ram?

My server is up for renewel in the next few days, so could I change the license?

I only ask, as there are about 12 people in my group and to wait for 2 hours per person to get there files is kinda long.