OVH Community, your new community space.

Virtual MAC for VPS issues?

Ben - PHP Works
23-02-2010, 19:46
Ok - thanks for the advice, I will give that a go.

Myatu
23-02-2010, 19:11
K, I haven't had issues with the KVM and "Virtual MAC", with the exception being that you must use the "post-up" in Debian-based OSes for routing (as described in the BridgeClient document you've mentioned earlier). However, there have been a number of people that didn't have this success and they traced down to the switch itself... So it might be worthwhile performing some tcpdump (or similar, like wireshark) with the help of an external source, and inform OVH's support about the issue.

Ben - PHP Works
23-02-2010, 18:33
Hi Myatu, I'm not actually using Proxmox, it's literally just a KVM install (qemu-kvm, etc.) on CentOS 5.4 x86_64 server with a custom kernel built from OVH's .config (and unfortunately it has to stay that way, as the server is also used for other things).

I know there is absolutely nothing wrong with the kernel, KVM setup or bridge configuration, I even tested the exact same setup on another (non-OVH) server and it worked just fine - I even tried compiling the latest versions of everything from source (opposed to installing via yum) and it made no difference.

I also know there was nothing wrong with the network etc. setup for the VPS from the one time that it did actually work, so this (virtual MAC/switch issues) is the only other thing I can think of that it could possibly be.

Myatu
23-02-2010, 17:53
Hi Ben, am I correct to assume you're using Proxmox, or are you using other virtualisation software?

Ben - PHP Works
23-02-2010, 12:44
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with the "Virtual MAC for VPS" functionality recently? - This may well be something that I need to contact support about, but I figured it would not hurt to ask here first.

I set up a KVM VPS (with a bridged network connection) a few days back, I had to re-create the virtual MAC for the IP about 5 or 6 times before the one time it actually connected to the internet (at which point it got a fantastic connection speed of 440 b/s).

I definitely set up the VPS correctly, after looking at the "BridgeClient" configuration of help.ovh.co.uk (amongst other things), I also got various people to check over my KVM configuration just in case (including a couple of people that are actually KVM VPS providers) and they confirmed that everything was setup correctly at my end.

Is this common? Would it be a routing/switch issue? Or is it more likely to be something else?

Many Thanks,
Ben