OVH Community, your new community space.

EG Hybrid

IainK
08-03-2010, 17:27
Bump: the 72 hours is up where are these bad boys? I hope it's just a delay on the site updating.

Update: Since posting the status has changed to 3 available in 1 hour and 11 available in 72 hours... Getting there!

Update (again): I got mine

Some testing...

nsXXXXXX:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/md2

/dev/md2:
Timing cached reads: 17208 MB in 2.00 seconds = 8611.79 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 660 MB in 3.01 seconds = 219.37 MB/sec
ns210632:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/md2

/dev/md2:
Timing cached reads: 17406 MB in 2.00 seconds = 8711.16 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 658 MB in 3.00 seconds = 218.99 MB/sec
ns210632:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/md2

/dev/md2:
Timing cached reads: 17638 MB in 2.00 seconds = 8826.73 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 664 MB in 3.01 seconds = 220.82 MB/sec

nsXXXXXX:~# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: pumbag
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000001 (1)
Link detected: yes

IainK
05-03-2010, 16:00
Well that's it been almost 24 hours. Hopefully we will have our boxes by Monday
*Fingers crossed*

Update: Well it has been at least 72 hours if not more since the site was updated. Hopefully we will see these getting rolled out today.

OVHelp
04-03-2010, 23:19
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
We do not do firmware updates since they are risky and can result in data loss. The only time we did do it was because of the Seagate issue.
This is true, but as these are all brand new servers and no one has data on them atm, I think ensuring that the X25-M having the latest thing is of high importance. I'm not sure if you've followed the delimma of SSD drives and 'Trim' but in a nutshell:

The fuller the SSD got, the slower it would run due to 'Trim' not being correctly inialtized - something I would say is HIGHLY important and something OVH should confirm as without having this important firmware update - it itself is risky and could result in data loss.

Refer to Page 1 on the following document:
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/1836...es%202%201.pdf

As you can see the firmware was released some time ago, Novemeber 2009 to be extact, my concern is are OVH buying these Hybrid SSD as 'new' or replacing/moving stock from the older SSD Servers.

If they are bought as new, I would expect them to have the latest version, if not we shall have to talk further...

Cheers

Edit: Yay seems 15 have just come up on the '72 Hour' list - looking forward to them.

IainK
04-03-2010, 17:52
It was stated that a couple of these where rolled out yesterday. Any forums members care to report back and let us know how they're getting on? Surely someone from the forums must have got one by now...

Neil
04-03-2010, 16:57
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
I remember it was mentioned in an earlier thread, and afaik the outcome was you are not able to Upgrade the firmeware yourself, and that OVH _might_ do it as a batch job.
But only OVH knows ...
We do not do firmware updates since they are risky and can result in data loss. The only time we did do it was because of the Seagate issue.

derchris
04-03-2010, 14:54
I remember it was mentioned in an earlier thread, and afaik the outcome was you are not able to Upgrade the firmeware yourself, and that OVH _might_ do it as a batch job.
But only OVH knows ...

IainK
04-03-2010, 14:14
I've joined the waiting list for the EG 10 Hybrid Will let y'all know when it's rolled out.

In regards to the firmware update OVHelp that's something I had been thinking about too. I would assume that at worst we could install windows and run the files from the ISO that way... but then if it needs a boot cd so that an OS is not accessing the disc then who knows...

OVHelp
04-03-2010, 12:48
Out of interest, and maybe past SSD Server owners can answer this.

As Intel has had issues in the past and released a number of Firmware updates - how does OVH and the upgrade via CD work? Are they preloaded with the latest version? Or...?

Latest version (for the X-25M atleast) - 02HD (also referred to as v1.5):

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...18363&lang=eng

Cheers

derchris
03-03-2010, 22:39
I can understand OVH in some ways.
It would be more work to get upgrade an already allocated server, in the datacentre, in his rack, then seting up a new build system, and then put it in the rack.

Or wait until the server breaks down, and then ask them to add additional disks

mattb37
03-03-2010, 22:30
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpeeds
Ohh, but then you wouldn't have to pay the wonderful £49.99 + VAT setup fee
£49.99 would be worth it for this, how hard can it be to mess something that simple up?

RapidSpeeds
03-03-2010, 22:26
Quote Originally Posted by mattb37
Thats a shame because the hybrids look identical to standard SSD servers and looks like there is a wait for hybrid SSD servers. It would be great if a set of sata drives could be installed, it would save a lot of time for anyone wishing to upgrade.
Ohh, but then you wouldn't have to pay the wonderful £49.99 + VAT setup fee

mattb37
03-03-2010, 22:22
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Upgrades aren't possible at OVH, sorry
Thats a shame because the hybrids look identical to standard SSD servers and looks like there is a wait for hybrid SSD servers. It would be great if a set of sata drives could be installed, it would save a lot of time for anyone wishing to upgrade.

Myatu
03-03-2010, 21:19
Upgrades aren't possible at OVH, sorry

yonatan
03-03-2010, 21:12
Quote Originally Posted by mattb37
Hi,

Is it possible to have current SSD servers upgraded to hybrids or must we order a complete new server? I am quickly running out of space on my SSD drives running proxmox.

Matt.
same question.

mattb37
03-03-2010, 21:00
Hi,

Is it possible to have current SSD servers upgraded to hybrids or must we order a complete new server? I am quickly running out of space on my SSD drives running proxmox.

Matt.

Neil
03-03-2010, 16:44
Hi

I am afraid I just cannot say, it really depends on the stock. We hope not have the SSD delay like last time, so I can only say the sooner the better.

OVHelp
03-03-2010, 12:34
You're obviously hoping to deploy more over the next day or so yeah? What I'm asking is if you actually have 'stock' of the equipment on site and aren't waiting for it to be flown in from Santas' Secret Shop.

What it basically boils down to is if I put order in this afternoon, am I likely to be in the batch that gets there sometime early next week or will I be stuck like the original SSD Dedicated Servers were - I know you genuine in most of what you say mate - thus why I'm asking yourself rather then speaking to a Sales Rep on the phone.

Neil
03-03-2010, 12:26
Quote Originally Posted by OVHelp
What I'm basically trying to hint at mate is if I was to put in an order now, would I still be in the 'provisioned' equipment limit. I'm relying on one mans word to another.

Cheers
Hi

Well that does depend on on how many orders we get between now and you ordering. We have deployed several today that were ordered yesterday, but I cannot guarantee that unfortunately that you will get one of these.

OVHelp
03-03-2010, 11:17
What I'm basically trying to hint at mate is if I was to put in an order now, would I still be in the 'provisioned' equipment limit. I'm relying on one mans word to another.

Cheers

Neil
03-03-2010, 11:11
Thanks for your reply, is it going to end up being a 2 month waiting haul like the original SSD Dedicated Servers were or do you have equipment on hand?

Only wished you didn't take payment for Server before its actually ordered as I have to go with a different server for an entire month now and REPAY setup fees when they are in stock next month... sigh.

Big waiting list atm?

Cheers
We have the provision for some, however original SSD Servers were very popular and then stock for them dried up which made it difficult to get them back in.

There are two options really, order one now and it will be deployed asap or wait the sudden demand drop and then order one in a few weeks.

OVHelp
03-03-2010, 10:10
Thanks for your reply, is it going to end up being a 2 month waiting haul like the original SSD Dedicated Servers were or do you have equipment on hand?

Only wished you didn't take payment for Server before its actually ordered as I have to go with a different server for an entire month now and REPAY setup fees when they are in stock next month... sigh.

Big waiting list atm?

Cheers

Neil
03-03-2010, 10:01
Seeing none in 1hr or 72hr - just wondering if these are being actively worked on and just not updated or "waiting for hardware" aka 2 years?
Hi

They are currently out of stock, but they should be delivered in less 2 years. Oldest orders will be delivered first, but you can see there is nothing in the 72 Hour column so it will be next week now.

OVHelp
03-03-2010, 08:33
Seeing none in 1hr or 72hr - just wondering if these are being actively worked on and just not updated or "waiting for hardware" aka 2 years?