OVH Community, your new community space.

The iSCSI RPS and Windows for £2.99 ex. VAT

Razakel
06-03-2010, 18:56
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
LOL! That gave me a good laugh

But seriously... If you're hosted in a Tier-4 datacenter things like that are not going to happen; and that's the only place i'd consider hosting a cloud.
Well, don't emergency buttons normally have those glass panes you need to break to press, as well as a sign posted nearby that says "IF YOU PRESS THIS WITHOUT A DAMN GOOD REASON YOU'LL BE FIRED"?

IainK
06-03-2010, 17:50
Then he wondered what the sudden noise was.
Apparently it took a few seconds for him to realise that the "sudden noise" was in fact "sudden silence".
The button was an emergency power-off. He'd shut down the entire data centre.
LOL! That gave me a good laugh

But seriously... If you're hosted in a Tier-4 datacenter things like that are not going to happen; and that's the only place i'd consider hosting a cloud.

yonatan
06-03-2010, 15:37
I got a question to OVH staff about this,
what method of Disk Performance do you recommend to host a game server on windows?

will personal be OK , or should I go for minimum premium ?

Iray
06-03-2010, 12:52
Very interesting news oles 100% sounds awesome too!

Will we benefit from the FTP backup that is offered with business?

tim2718281
06-03-2010, 11:33
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
100% Uptime can only be guaranteed if hosted on a cloud platform. Each VPS must be hosted across multiple servers and if one fails the other must take over within milliseconds to achieve 100% uptime.
No, you need two or more separate data centres.

One incident I'm aware of concerned an audit of a data centre; the auditor wanted to check that the door release for an emergency exit was working correctly and would raise the correct security alerts.

So he pressed it.

Then he wondered what the sudden noise was.

Apparently it took a few seconds for him to realise that the "sudden noise" was in fact "sudden silence".

The button was an emergency power-off. He'd shut down the entire data centre.

(The company - a very large international services company - modified the design of its emergency power-off buttons in all its data centres.)

IainK
06-03-2010, 10:36
100% Uptime can only be guaranteed if hosted on a cloud platform. Each VPS must be hosted across multiple servers and if one fails the other must take over within milliseconds to achieve 100% uptime.

Now I know that the RPS is just a dedicated server with shared disk so there is no way that they can truly offer you 100% uptime guaranteed. The best they can do is give refunds for hours of downtime incurred due to h/w issues. I think Oles' has a plan up his sleeves

I like the addition of Windows and for £15/month all inclusive is deals. Is that Windows Server web? or std?

MicroChip123
06-03-2010, 08:41
windows on cloud?
If so i am interested

RapidSpeeds
06-03-2010, 00:06
hrmm, nice price.. can't really argue with that - if only I used windows...

derchris
06-03-2010, 00:04
100% uptime garanteed
How can you garantee that ?

Andy
05-03-2010, 23:45
So RPS I with Windows for less than £15/month (and that includes VAT too!). Not bad

Andy
05-03-2010, 23:20
Hello,
4 weeks ago, Sun has provided the ZFS patch that fixes a problem
we met on our storage infrastructure for the RPS.
This problem is froze all development in the RPS offer 2years.
Since 2 weeks, we've made lots of work on infrastructure
Storage RPS. Patch, patch and patch ... The result? First
improving performance through the update and ZFS adding
disk cache. So we changed the network equipment to move
Nexus on 2000/5000/7000. This allows packets to move more quickly
across servers and storage to RPS thus reducing
latency and therefore increase the speed of storage. Tonight
All RPS are already in version "Business" of storage but this is
only the beginning. We will soon increase further with some speed
changes we have put in place on the Cloud. For now,
you can already get the benefit of all those unpleasant work with
7-10MB / s drives.

In parallel, you can now install the Windows
on the RPS. The price of the license on the SDN 1 and 2 is very much reduced:
2.99Euro VAT / month or about -80% and HT 15euro / month on other RPS.
We have signed a special contract with Microsoft that allows us to
offer this very special license because the Father 1 and 2 consumes <20W
electric power ... 1yr of work and exchange to launch this
OVH offers which is beta tester of this approach on the market ...
Roubaix Valley may be a little more.

In short, there is now restore the supply at least signable
by OVH in terms of performance and richness of the offer before the move
the server offers "100% uptime garanteed. We will shortly launch some
Beta 2-3 on questions that arose then trace the R & D
out the concept of the server that still works ...

Regards
Octave

oles@ovh.net
05-03-2010, 22:32
Hello,

4 weeks ago, SUN provided the ZFS patch that fixes a problem that we encountered on our storage infrastructure for the RPS. This problem has frozen all development in the RPS offers for 2 years. For 2 weeks, we've done lots of work on the RPS storage infrastructure. Patch, patch and patch ... The result? First, the performance improvement with the update of ZFS and adding cache disks. So we changed the network equipment to pass on the Nexus 2000/5000/7000. This allows packets to move more quickly across servers and storage to RPS thus reducing latency and therefore increasing the speed of storage. Tonight, all RPS are already in "Business" version of storage but this is just the beginning. We will shortly increase speeds even with some changes that we've implemented on the Cloud. For now, you can get the benefit of all this unpleasant work with 7-10MB/s drives.

In parallel to this, you now have the option to install Windows on the RPS. The price of the license on the RPS 1 and 2 is very much reduced: £2.99 ex. VAT / month or about -80% and £15 ex. VAT / month on other RPS. We have signed a special contract with Microsoft that allows us to offer you this very special license because the RPS 1 and 2 consumes <20W of electric power ... 1yr of work and exchange to launch this offer where OVH is the beta tester for such an approach on the market ... Roubaix Valley, may be a little more.

In short, we are going to restore the offer to minimum signable by OVH in terms of performance and the richness of the offer before changing the server "100% uptime guaranteed offers. We will shortly launch a few betas concerning 2-3 questions that we will pose and then we track the R&D to extract the concept of the server that always works ...

All the best,
Octave