OVH Community, your new community space.

m0n0wall on EXSi server

hokapoka
09-03-2010, 11:32
Hey

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking. In ESXi there's no longer the same options that were in VMWare Server, there's only the option to create & select different vSwitches.

I have 3 vSwitches these are :

- The Default "VM Network"
- And 2 Others that are running 192.168.*.0/24, "LAN" and "DMZ".

ATM it's not important, I'm able to work. One I get the server fully configured with some proper services I'll be ale to test it's stability. Moreover, it could just be the Windows 7 box that's causing grief.

marks
09-03-2010, 10:14
looks quite odd...

Are you using Bridge connection or you use private network through the host?

sounds like a problem with the routing of the packets to your VM box.

hokapoka
09-03-2010, 10:05
Fired up X on my gentoo box and have moved back to it from windows 7 as my workstation and all of the initial connection issues have gone away.

If I run a ping on the two different machines, my local gentoo box has a solid 100% response, whereas the windows 7 box looses some 15-25% of the packets.

weird.

hokapoka
08-03-2010, 13:36
I have one odity, and this was occouring before I started to do any IPTable mods.

The first time I connect using SSH to any virtual debian box, be it one that's got a public eth0 or a LAN eth0 via my IPTables, after restarting the network. The ssh client (only tried putty so far) errors with "Network error: Software caused connection abort" or similar.

This is after the login appears, and I've authed. Sometimes I get the welcome message, and others times I don't.

Anyone else having this issue?

It's not a biggy, I just re-connect and it works fine. But I'm a touch concerened about the stablity of the connection.

hokapoka
08-03-2010, 13:23
Well I gave up.

I managed to workout how to configure the default gateway via FreeBSD commands, but I still couldn't get the firewall to ping the gateway.

I tried it out on proxmox too, but still no joy.

So have gone back to what I know, debian on ESXi. Within 10 mins of reinstalling the ESXi server, manually modded IPTables on a minimal Debian box and hey presto I had IPMasquerading / NAT setup and my own firewall was working, beauty.

hokapoka
06-03-2010, 20:51
Hi

I'm trying to setup m0n0wall on ESXi but can't get the default gateway set right.

I had issues getting the netmask set right initially, this is b/c m0n0wall doesn't allow youto select /32 for the WAP IP.

However, I've managed to workout how to set it. I first used this command in exec.php :

/sbin/ifconfig em1 [FAILBACK IP] netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast [FAIL BACK IP]

But I've also found that if I change the XML for the config I can set the mask correctally in there using /32, and on a reboot it's got the right netmask.

Looking at the interfaces, the netmask is set correctally.

But any pints, from the m0n0wall to the default gateway fail with "no route to host" or similar.

The only way I've managed to set the default gateway so far is via the edit box supplied. So I was going to try to use the same commands as the if-up in the interfaces file of my linux box, as shown here: http://help.ovh.co.uk/BridgeClient .

But I can't workout the correct command for FreeBSD.

Has any managed to get m0n0wall working on ESXi?

Oh and yes I've got the Virtual MAX set right, both via ESXi and also tried using the spoof MAC that is built into M0n0Wall.

Looking at the Friewall log, ping from external n/w are appearing (but not being echoed back), so the route to the m0n0wall box is working correctly, it appear that the outbound traffic isnt being routed correctally.

Any help would be fab.

hoka