OVH Community, your new community space.

My IP failover does not work on new server.

rickyday
30-04-2010, 18:18
Quote Originally Posted by ictdude
Now all ok. I did not set a mac adres in the manager.
Alls well that ends well

ictdude
30-04-2010, 00:50
Problem solved. With this info: http://help.ovh.co.uk/BridgeClient

Tested with a full KVM Centos.

I did set it up like:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
NETMASK=255.255.255.248 (Ripe FO IP mask)
IPADDR=IP Failover (Ripe FO)
GATEWAY=Dedicated Server IP but end in .254
ARP=yes
HWADDR=Your Virtual Mac Address

And manual tested the routing by using enter commands in remote ssh
session:

route add Dedicated Server IP but end in .254 dev eth0
route add default gw Dedicated Server IP but end in .254

On the Proxmox host i also did use:

ip route add YOUR_IP_FAILOVER dev vmbr1

Now all ok. I did not set a mac adres in the manager. It works like this in my case. Hope this info can help others.

ictdude
24-03-2010, 22:53
Quote Originally Posted by roger198
Hi I have had the same problems but with an extra twist as suddenly my 1.3 with the settings that have worked for ages just stopped working on the 1.3 one, so I have images I am desperate to get up again as all my data is on that machine while I upgraded another proxmox box to 1.5 and the 1.5 lol has the same thing as you ,, windows ok but linux a no bloody go ........... I have been told to use the new macs for each ip but that is not working so far either ??. one thing I have noticed is that 1.3 you cannot edit the mac number as it does it for you but in 1.5 you can but so far still a no go so I have a 1.3 with dead ips that i need to get going and 1.5 that can not network linux ...... some how I wished I could do a XP and go back a date to fix em both as life was sweeter then ..................
I still have this problem to So no full linux KVM can run on my new server. Windows ok Linux a no go !? So you have to change mac adressen ? Strange... And that dont work ? So OVH we have two cases with identical incidents problems whats wrong here ? One Proxbox is running 1.3. and i dont take the risk upgrade to 1.5. Whats the issue here we need some help !!!

Solution ?

Update i just did see this: http://forum.kimsufi.co.uk/showthread.php?t=526 (Looks the same problem we have)
Well guess have to try this....

roger198
18-03-2010, 19:47
Hi I have had the same problems but with an extra twist as suddenly my 1.3 with the settings that have worked for ages just stopped working on the 1.3 one, so I have images I am desperate to get up again as all my data is on that machine while I upgraded another proxmox box to 1.5 and the 1.5 lol has the same thing as you ,, windows ok but linux a no bloody go ........... I have been told to use the new macs for each ip but that is not working so far either ??. one thing I have noticed is that 1.3 you cannot edit the mac number as it does it for you but in 1.5 you can but so far still a no go so I have a 1.3 with dead ips that i need to get going and 1.5 that can not network linux ...... some how I wished I could do a XP and go back a date to fix em both as life was sweeter then ..................

ictdude
10-03-2010, 12:48
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Hi

You are using bridged on KVM, I guess you have tried:

ip route add default dev eth0

For Windows and OpenVZ to work, I don't think you are affected by the same problem.
Yeah i did ip route add default dev eth0 like i always do on a Linux full KVM.
Before i did use Proxmox 1.3 Now first time 1.5

I just use the Proxmox instructions of OVH on my other servers i dont
have those problems there. Only now on a full KVM Linux ?

Neil
10-03-2010, 10:12
Quote Originally Posted by ictdude
Thnx for the info. But the fail-over IP works on a KVM Windows and OpenVZ. But just dont work with a Linux box in a KVM. That dont make sence.

So ques you have a different issue ?

Problem is that linux in open VZ all ok. Linux in full KVM routing problem. So what is the different between the two situations. Windows in a KVM routing ok !?
Hi

You are using bridged on KVM, I guess you have tried:

ip route add default dev eth0

For Windows and OpenVZ to work, I don't think you are affected by the same problem.

ictdude
09-03-2010, 23:45
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
You are not the only one.
me too just got a new machine for proxmox , and none of the fail-over IP addresses work ( not even in rescue-pro mode.

i called the 24/7 support line , the lady told me to have a look at http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=3959

and give them from 24 to 48 hours approx.
Thnx for the info. But the fail-over IP works on a KVM Windows and OpenVZ. But just dont work with a Linux box in a KVM. That dont make sence.

So ques you have a different issue ?

Problem is that linux in open VZ all ok. Linux in full KVM routing problem. So what is the different between the two situations. Windows in a KVM routing ok !?

yonatan
09-03-2010, 16:28
You are not the only one.
me too just got a new machine for proxmox , and none of the fail-over IP addresses work ( not even in rescue-pro mode.

i called the 24/7 support line , the lady told me to have a look at http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=3959

and give them from 24 to 48 hours approx.

ictdude
09-03-2010, 11:57
Quote Originally Posted by Marks
what does a tcpdump says? does the host and/or the VM sees any of these ping attempts from outside?

what's the network configuration on the virtual machines? bridging, virtual network?
(Network)
Model Bridge MAC address
rtl8139 vmbr0 XX XX XX XX XX XX

When i do a tcpdump icmp on the host it see the icmp
Ping (FO IP) --> Host recieve the icmp (ping)

When i do a tcpdump icmp on the VM it reacts real slow like its getting there
with a delay. The same FO IP dont give problems when i put it on a Windows machine ? Only a full KVM Linux give problems. Installing a new Linux OS is not solving this. Like Linux OS is giving problems and Microsoft OS works fine ?
Thats the strange thing. OpenVZ FO IP No problems ? I had this befor on other OVH servers same issue and solved it with:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/proxy_arp

But this is not working in this situation ?

marks
09-03-2010, 10:20
what does a tcpdump says? does the host and/or the VM sees any of these ping attempts from outside?

what's the network configuration on the virtual machines? bridging, virtual network?

ictdude
09-03-2010, 09:10
My IP failover does not work on new server.

I have multiple servers with OVH. And know how to set up FO IP routing.
Therefore I find it strange that the procdure from OVH now totally not working.

I use Proxmox 1.5. It is strange that this is a problem with a Linux
installation as complete KVM installed. An OpenVZ linux installation has no problem.

Even when I make a Windows OS on a KVM installer there is no problem. In the past I had the same situation, The solution was:

echo 1> / proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/proxy_arp

This no longer works as a solution. It is strange that this problem only is with a Linux installation as full KVM . Procedure which normally works: http://gids.ovh.nl/Proxmox

This is not working!? Now the question is what is going on here? I can ping from another machine the other Virtual vm´s .But can not ping this IP from outside.