OVH Community, your new community space.

Just installed Windows with my own key

K-Xander
30-11-2013, 12:17
Hello.

I terminated my windows license yesterday and reinstalled the os with my own spla license. Everything runned smooth and activation went just fine.

I've entered to windows assigned spla licenses and I am seeing this: Awaiting approval. The license has still not been installed on the server ( http://prntscr.com/27nvft ) although I have checked my own key when re-installing, the OS had my own key after installation and I also added it again after the reinstall as It has been adviced here.

Any idea if this is just a bug or so ?

Winit
18-09-2010, 13:27
Well done captain obvious.

OVH will not let you get away with having their license key installed without paying for it.

You will be forced to reinstall. Changing a key won't do it.

YouWhat
18-09-2010, 11:14
Quote Originally Posted by zimsters
Question: Can I change the key of a running box?

i.e.:
- change license key on a box that has a win08r2 license
- reactivate
- go to ovh manager, enter my MSDNAA key
- remove the ovh assigned key (terminate windows license)
- save $$$

I can successfully enter in my own key but asking ovh to terminate the other license says i need to run a reinstallation first. any way around that, i.e. do the first two steps make ovh's manager "recognise" a change in key?
First, MSDNAA key should not be used to make money from, you would need to purchase your own Retail key.

To remove the current windows license, contact support they will be able to remove it from off your order without disrupting the current windows install.

Lastly the OVH manager should recognise the windows key once you enter it and give you the option to use it on future reinstalls, but you will still need to reactivate the product and change the Owner Name in the registry even if you use this method as OVH uses a custom image which has their own SPLA key pre-installed and the username and owner name ready set.

zimsters
18-09-2010, 11:09

This is the real issue. I dont' want to reinstall!

YouWhat
18-09-2010, 11:05

**from windows 7 install but it is same procedure as on Windows Server 2008 R2

zimsters
18-09-2010, 10:55
Quote Originally Posted by Winit
Fairly sure you can not.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5508616_chan...oduct-key.html

Winit
18-09-2010, 10:45
Quote Originally Posted by zimsters
Fairly sure you can not.

zimsters
18-09-2010, 10:40

i.e.:
- change license key on a box that has a win08r2 license
- reactivate
- go to ovh manager, enter my MSDNAA key
- remove the ovh assigned key (terminate windows license)
- save $$$

I can successfully enter in my own key but asking ovh to terminate the other license says i need to run a reinstallation first. any way around that, i.e. do the first two steps make ovh's manager "recognise" a change in key?

YouWhat
16-09-2010, 21:28
All keys should work, so if you have standard key then install standard, if you have enterprise, then install that etc.

The OVH Windows install will work then you will just need to change the key and reactivate it, and the registry to remove the OVH SAS out of it so it registers to yourself instead

Winit
16-09-2010, 21:22
Quote Originally Posted by gueriLLaPunkMoB
Enterprise key and my friend did the installation in OVH manager. Not sure, but it should be the same as the original post's.
What type of Enterprise key? Did it work with the proper OVH Windows install system?

gueriLLaPunkMoB
15-09-2010, 21:04
Enterprise key and my friend did the installation in OVH manager. Not sure, but it should be the same as the original post's.

Winit
15-09-2010, 21:01
@gueriLLaPunkMoB - what type of key and installation method did you use in the end?

gueriLLaPunkMoB
15-09-2010, 17:35
Thank you very much! The spaces in your original post threw me off. I was in /Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion instead of WindowsNT.

Your help is appreciated

YouWhat
15-09-2010, 11:53

Taken out of win 7 install I currently using, but registry for this purpose identical.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
15-09-2010, 10:12
Quote Originally Posted by YouWhat
HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion

Change the following 2 items as they will say OVH SAS

RegisteredName
RegisteredOrganisation
Didn't see these strings in Windows 2008 R2 x64.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
15-09-2010, 06:37
Does it matter if its Kimsufi?

gueriLLaPunkMoB
10-09-2010, 10:02
This should be sticked, IMO

AdamD
15-06-2010, 15:37
Just wanted to confirm what the OP posted, Dreamspark keys do indeed work on OVH servers.

I just installed Windows 2008 R2 Standard using my key on a OVH server (the i5 with 8gb of ram and 2 SSD drives)

everwicked
01-05-2010, 22:56
Quote Originally Posted by gangsta
I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 on Virtuabox and just after install it takes circa 400MB, so this is not so much. I guess I'll give it a shot
Just bear in mind Windows 2008 R2 has minimum spec 1.6 GHz CPU.

gangsta
01-05-2010, 17:26
I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 on Virtuabox and just after install it takes circa 400MB, so this is not so much. I guess I'll give it a shot

everwicked
01-05-2010, 11:35
Most probably you didn't read my previous post carefully. I wrote "Kimsufi L 08", so don't you think that 1GB of RAM won't be enough for Windows Server 2008 ?
I know there is 2GB recommended for win2k8, but what is your opinion about that?
Clean 2003 install using circa 150MB of RAM just after install and about 300-500MB with some needed roles and apps installed.
I don't know how much 2008 needs, but suppose sth like 600-900MB, so 1GB might be to little to run smoothly.
On my server, with 3-4 low traffic wordpress websites, a socks proxy and a few apps, mem usage is around 800MB so I guess you could get away with it if you have a similar usage. This is Win2008 R1.

gangsta
01-05-2010, 10:05
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Try installing a Linux Distro then trying Windows again if you are having problems installing Windows,
There is Linux installed.

YouWhat you're right, it's specific problem regarding windows 2003 versions.

Quote Originally Posted by everwicked
Assuming you can get keys for 2008 from the ELMS, why do you guys want 2003???
Most probably you didn't read my previous post carefully. I wrote "Kimsufi L 08", so don't you think that 1GB of RAM won't be enough for Windows Server 2008 ?
I know there is 2GB recommended for win2k8, but what is your opinion about that?
Clean 2003 install using circa 150MB of RAM just after install and about 300-500MB with some needed roles and apps installed.
I don't know how much 2008 needs, but suppose sth like 600-900MB, so 1GB might be to little to run smoothly.

everwicked
01-05-2010, 00:38
Assuming you can get keys for 2008 from the ELMS, why do you guys want 2003???

rickyday
30-04-2010, 19:28
I will appreciate it if OVH would look into the DCPROMO issue with the Kimi Q1 server, i really would, I would love you forever and ever Oles/Neil

rickyday
30-04-2010, 19:27
I can also confirm that Windows 2003 Server never installs correctly even when using a correct legitimate key. My advice install 2008 R2, But if you have a Q1 Kimsufi "DONT" try DCPROMO, it will not work if you have the same HD that Youwhat and I have, the server will grind to a halt, there is a hardware incompatability somewhere along the line, as DCPROMO works fine on a cheaper Kimi.

Neil
30-04-2010, 18:25
Neil, there is a specific problem with the server 2003 installs, I and others here have tried to get it installed, but with no success, always the above error about ssh. If you could pass this on to those whose who deal with the install scripts please and get them to update and fix these for us please.

Thanks

*** Edit

I tried the 2k3 install to try and use it for the Active Directory thing to try and get round the problem I was having with 2008, and in the end gave up as it due to hardware that causes the bug to appear but was hoping that 2k3 would work as I have read that this doesnt seem to suffer with the same AD bug that grinds server to a halt.

(Exact problem was could not disable the hard drive write cache and it killed server doing so, hard reboot would just send it back to being enabled)
What type of server do you have? We do not offer Windows 2003 on quiet a few models now, since it is 7 years old now.

YouWhat
30-04-2010, 15:32
Neil, there is a specific problem with the server 2003 installs, I and others here have tried to get it installed, but with no success, always the above error about ssh. If you could pass this on to those whose who deal with the install scripts please and get them to update and fix these for us please.

Thanks

*** Edit

I tried the 2k3 install to try and use it for the Active Directory thing to try and get round the problem I was having with 2008, and in the end gave up as it due to hardware that causes the bug to appear but was hoping that 2k3 would work as I have read that this doesnt seem to suffer with the same AD bug that grinds server to a halt.

(Exact problem was could not disable the hard drive write cache and it killed server doing so, hard reboot would just send it back to being enabled)

Neil
30-04-2010, 13:57
Try installing a Linux Distro then trying Windows again if you are having problems installing Windows,

derchris
30-04-2010, 12:00
If you look at the error, it nas nothing to do with your key.
I mentioned this already last time when someone else had an error.
For some reason, the install script from OVH is expecting OpenSSH 4.6, but 5.1p1 is running.
So OVH would need to fix the install script.

gangsta
30-04-2010, 10:47
Hi guys!
I'm having issues installing Windows from manager with my msdnaa key.
Saying msdnaa I mean ELMS where I have my personal acc and may generate keys and download MS software.
There is a great variety of operating systems to choose from and I want to install Windows Server 2003 on my Kimsufi L 08 - it was running fine on win2k3 couple of months ago, but now I want to install windows with my own key.

Unfortunately, installation failed and I got notification:
ticket1: Destination Host Unreachable
then they closed it with the reason: Invalid SPLA license number
and set the server into Rescue-pro mode

I was trying "Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition - Disk 1" and "Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition", neither of the keys generated by ELMS worked with manager installation. Always the same scenario: installing OK till 'checking new system' (next to last step in installation process) and it show en error like:
OpenSSH 4.6' not found in prompt port n.22 (promt give: 22/tcp open ssh OpenSSH 5.1p1 Debian-5 (protocol 2.0))
...strange.

Should I try "Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition with SP2 - Disk 1" key instead ?

I'm asking, because you were succeeded in installing windows with yours msdn keys, so this is weird that I can't.
Maybe OVH changed sth once again (and I won't be suprised if so, as it's ovh...)

IainK
10-03-2010, 20:53
DreamSpark is students only.

Razakel
10-03-2010, 20:47
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
The Dreamspark keys are NOT just given to colleges and universities. They also give them to small design companies and it is perfectly legit to use them for hosting.
You're thinking of WebsiteSpark.

DigitalDaz
10-03-2010, 19:43
The Dreamspark keys are NOT just given to colleges and universities. They also give them to small design companies and it is perfectly legit to use them for hosting.

gangsta
10-03-2010, 11:16
I can confirm that retail, MSDN, TechNet, Partner Plus, Volume License (VLK) key etc all do work to activate (yes I got bored and tried them out from my accounts), but as I mentioned earlier its down the the EULA and also the purposes of which you are using them for, also down to OVH, although I think they shouldn't have a problem as long as you are not breaking any EULA etc, and you do nothing to break their contract with microsoft which they have to adhere to.
Awesome news
Have to check enhancements on 2008 server enterprise from my MSDN AA

YouWhat
10-03-2010, 03:03
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
Does it work if you pick one of the Windows Server Core versions over regular Windows Server?
Yes it works, the server core is just a partial install of the full server, and they use/share the same keys. Installing just the server core is an actual option in the installer of 2008 R2.

Razakel
10-03-2010, 02:59
I can confirm that retail, MSDN, TechNet, Partner Plus, Volume License (VLK) key etc all do work to activate (yes I got bored and tried them out from my accounts), but as I mentioned earlier its down the the EULA and also the purposes of which you are using them for, also down to OVH, although I think they shouldn't have a problem as long as you are not breaking any EULA etc, and you do nothing to break their contract with microsoft which they have to adhere to.
So can someone from OVH confirm if this has been changed or not?

Does it work if you pick one of the Windows Server Core versions over regular Windows Server?

YouWhat
10-03-2010, 01:23

Razakel
10-03-2010, 01:17
Is Dreamspark differ from MSDN AA?
Apart from that MSDN AA is for Universities only and Dreamspark is free for High Schools as well?
MSDNAA ISOs are also seem to be retail ones..
I mean if you could install this as SPLA on dreamsparks key I see no reason that it woudn't be possible on MSDNAAs one.
Dreamspark is for colleges and universities, it seems to be a retail key.

So yeah, it should work with MSDNAA keys, or maybe even a proper retail key.

gangsta
09-03-2010, 22:40
Is Dreamspark differ from MSDN AA?
Apart from that MSDN AA is for Universities only and Dreamspark is free for High Schools as well?
MSDNAA ISOs are also seem to be retail ones..
I mean if you could install this as SPLA on dreamsparks key I see no reason that it woudn't be possible on MSDNAAs one.

Razakel
09-03-2010, 21:10
Why is because they are installed off a custom script that OVH has including the reg key on there, if you dont re-activate it, you stand a chance in 30 days of the server dying due to the automated install script and the key it uses.
Huh, I thought they generated the unattended script using the key you provide so they can validate it.

Regardless, I just activated using my key. Product ID didn't change, and activation went through just fine.

YouWhat
09-03-2010, 21:07
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
Why? It says it's activated fine.
Why is because they are installed off a custom script that OVH has including the reg key on there, if you dont re-activate it, you stand a chance in 30 days of the server dying due to the automated install script and the key it uses.

Razakel
09-03-2010, 21:01
Check the EULA accompanied in your pack as it usually states in there what it is and the restrictions on usage etc.

* On side note

If it is a retail key, but you only use the server for your own personal use, then there shouldnt be a problem, but if you start hosting sites and/or profit in anyway from the use of your key, then you are heading into the grey areas of this.
It's being used as a game server (for a friend who has absolutely no Linux knowledge) and, to be honest, how would anyone ever find out if I was using it commercially? I doubt there's a Microsoft backdoor.

Also make sure you Activate with your own key again once it is installed,
Why? It says it's activated fine.

also you might want to change 2 things in the registry located at the following

RegisteredName
RegisteredOrganisation
So they do.

Quote Originally Posted by gigabit
Did you actually install it? If its not SPLA then the install will die...
Yeah, install worked perfectly. I'm connected via RDP right now.

gigabit
09-03-2010, 20:39
Did you actually install it? If its not SPLA then the install will die...

YouWhat
09-03-2010, 19:51
Check the EULA accompanied in your pack as it usually states in there what it is and the restrictions on usage etc.

* On side note

If it is a retail key, but you only use the server for your own personal use, then there shouldnt be a problem, but if you start hosting sites and/or profit in anyway from the use of your key, then you are heading into the grey areas of this.

Also make sure you Activate with your own key again once it is installed, also you might want to change 2 things in the registry located at the following

RegisteredName
RegisteredOrganisation

Razakel
09-03-2010, 18:18
This might be interesting to someone:

As a lowly student, Microsoft gives me free stuff via the DreamSpark program (https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx). I picked Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition, got my key, then went into the OVH manager.

There I went Windows License -> Assign Windows SPLA License and entered the key it gave me.

Then I selected Windows, 'Ready-to-use' distribution, Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition, and told it to use my key. And it worked.

I don't know if DreamSpark keys are SPLA (the ISOs they provide indicate that it's retail), or if OVH have changed their policies, but it might be worth giving installing Windows with your own licence another shot.