OVH Community, your new community space.

Request: Firmware Update

Andy
17-03-2010, 19:46
A minimum of 20GB for c:\ is sensible given Windows Server 2003 and 2008 both use about 5GB after installation, plus more for updates and system restore, caching, etc.

OVHelp
17-03-2010, 15:00
Thanks for your responses guys - I've made a dedicated thread here to the EG Hybrids SSD poor performance.

Some information Mark requested:

- The SSDs are configured have been configured in all options - Raid0 and Raid1 and also single disks (Software Raid only).
- As mentioned previously the Firmware on the Hybrid SSDs does include Trim but its still the fact that newer firmware include performance updates that COULD just be the one that fixes it for linux.
- Tried an abundance of Linux Distros, but due to the fact OVH have broken kvm and don't allow for stock installations of Distros it makes testing new/updated software/kernels alot bloody harder.
- Went to try Windows tonight and found out that OVH implement a minimum of 20GB for the first drive (LOL?) - and one cannot simply make it all Raid0 ethier.

Things are getting worse and worse by the minute - please refer to: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3828

@Serverguy: Thanks for pointing those above things out, however I have compiled the latest kernels, and upgrade my Ubuntu Server 9.10 to include their modded (enabled TRIM) kernel - but still no luck.

serverguy
17-03-2010, 12:06
I've contacted OVH regarding this, but im my case the firmware has no TRIM support, so an update IS crucial!

OVHelp,
I cant really see the importance of updating the firmware if you already have the command supported. As far as im concerned, TRIM is only supported by the latest kernel (and is disabled by default), so for using it you would need to run a script mannualy, as for example the wiper.sh script included in hdparm (i believe you would need to break the raid array for that). You can find a discussion about it in

http://communities.intel.com/thread/...art=0&tstart=0

Did you try running it to see if you can fix the sequential write speed issue?

marks
17-03-2010, 11:06
our engineers are aware of the firmware update but it's not critical, it wouldn't affect the SSD drive performance. If the SSD drives, as they are delivered with firmware from 26 October 2009, had a serious performance problem, it would be patched.

But having thousands of servers deployed, the firmware cannot be updated for all of them, specially when there a minor updates almost every month:

10 August 2009
25 August 2009
26 October 2009
30 November 2009

You can make sure that if there was a serious problem with this drives (as it happened with the Seagate problem on February 2009 that we had to go for patch party just for this) the firmware would be updated even without you requesting it (but you would be informed before).

If you particularly want this update, you must request a paid intervention.

It's a matter of looking into it, but it doesn't look that your write speed issues are caused by this. Could you give us more information about your SSD drives configuration? raid 0, raid 1, soft, hard raid, ...

Andy
17-03-2010, 09:58
There is no contract remember. It's a monthly basis, so no contract. Just request a refund if you're unhappy. I'm sure OVH will comply.

OVHelp
17-03-2010, 00:08
It was indeed answered... with a 60-90 POUND quote!

I am sure I'm one of the few with the new Hybrid EG range, and all I can say is the SSDs are FU*KING terrible - my SATA drives perform ten-fold. The read throughput is amazing on the SSDs (500mb/s) but the sequential read/write is AWFUL.

That coupled with the fact that the OVH Manager/Rescue Mode doesn't allow one to re-align sectors (moreso doesn't allow one to manually install an OS through Rescue as it is Read-only) and/or allow for IMPORTANT Firmware updates is OUTRAGEOUS.

Can't wait to get out of this contract - nuff said.

RapidSpeeds
16-03-2010, 18:54
Is anyone actually going to answer this question?

micke
11-03-2010, 19:30
i would definatlly get one eg-hybrid if the ssd fw could be upgraded since i had alot of prob with my old ssd server due to that problem so i dropped it.

IainK
11-03-2010, 12:48
+1 for this. I've contacted support in regards to this on my box. Here's hoping they will allow it.

Neil
11-03-2010, 10:49
Quote Originally Posted by OVHelp
Following the discussion in my EG Hybrid thread concerning the current firmware versions of the newly installed SSDs' I can now confirm that they are infact:

FwRev=2CV102HA

While the newest version is FwRev=2CV102HD - Intel provides a simple .ISO which needs to be booted and the firmware can be installed within minutes. However, this cannot be done obviously due to the way Rescue Mode and OVH Servers work.

Included in the below document is the changelog of all Firmware versions - I believe we, as customers, should be allowed to atleast have the option to upgrade these SSD Firmwares as we all know how many performance issues have plauged them from day one (Need I remind you of Trim...).

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/1836...es%202%201.pdf

I understand the standard response I get to this question "Risk" blah blah "Loss of data" blah blah - but as these servers are so new, and I havern't even begun to install my required various Apps/Distros/Kernels I believe it would be a good chance..

Cheers,
OVHelp
Nothing is going to happen by posting it on the forum The only possible way to get this request done is to open a ticket and they will decide if the firmware update is possible/available.

OVHelp
11-03-2010, 04:17
Following the discussion in my EG Hybrid thread concerning the current firmware versions of the newly installed SSDs' I can now confirm that they are infact:

FwRev=2CV102HA

While the newest version is FwRev=2CV102HD - Intel provides a simple .ISO which needs to be booted and the firmware can be installed within minutes. However, this cannot be done obviously due to the way Rescue Mode and OVH Servers work.

Included in the below document is the changelog of all Firmware versions - I believe we, as customers, should be allowed to atleast have the option to upgrade these SSD Firmwares as we all know how many performance issues have plauged them from day one (Need I remind you of Trim...).

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/1836...es%202%201.pdf

I understand the standard response I get to this question "Risk" blah blah "Loss of data" blah blah - but as these servers are so new, and I havern't even begun to install my required various Apps/Distros/Kernels I believe it would be a good chance..

Cheers,
OVHelp