OVH Community, your new community space.

Internal LANs on XenServer

yatesco
15-03-2010, 09:41
Turns out to be really easy (for a single host anyway) - just create a new network, add the network card to all the virtual machines and assign them all an internal IP. For Linux I specified the IP (i.e. 10.0.0.X), netmask (255.255.255.0), network (10.0.0.0) and broadcast (10.0.0.255). For windows (7) I specified the IP and netmask.

Shame that Windows 7 thinks the internal network is a 'Public network'. Sigh.

derchris
15-03-2010, 01:39
Yes, you can create VLAN, Internal LANs, ....
http://docs.vmd.citrix.com/XenServer...tml#networking

yatesco
14-03-2010, 20:04
Hi - newbie question.

I have a single host with a number of virtual machines on XenServer. Some of them are purely internal (LDAP for example) and should never see the outside worlds. Others however are publicly visible but need to also see the internal machines.

I could use a single firewall with all the public IPs mapped and portforwarding but I don't want to do that for a couple of reasons (won't go into that now).

My question is - is it possible in XenServer to create two networks - the 'normal' one which is already configured and a second virtual one which is purely internal. The DMZ machines will have two NICs, one on each network.

Is this what a VLAN is? Any *****-proof steps on how to achieve this on XenServer?

Now the really interesting question - what about if these were in a pool - can the internal LAN go across both hosts (even if the hosts are on completely separate networks/data-centers) or is this impossible. I realise I could use a VPN solution for this.

Thanks all.