OVH Community, your new community space.

Hyper V and EG BestOF

HugeServer
24-05-2010, 18:48
Dear rickyday,

I think it is too late to answer these questions, but I wanted to clear up to you what are the answers of your questions.

Im looking at renting a EG Best of and using it for virtualisation and adding a few vps (is that what they are called in Windows) so I can sell them to a few friends/colleagues?
Yes you can do that you want, you can add vitual servers on your dedicated servers and give them to your friends or sell the vms.

First question is have any of you used Hyper-V for this type of scenario?
Yes we are using this virtual system and I can only recommand you to use it for Windows Virtual servers and not Linux vms. Because of quallity

Second question how many containers/virtual machines would you have on a server or this spec? I was thinking 4/5?
As you want to buy an EG best of, and EG Best of has 8Gb of ram you can creat for example 7 VPS with 1Gb ram with best quallity.

Third question is how would the 2 x 750GB discs perform with 4 or 5 VMs being used? would the performance be dire?
Better if you configure your hard drives on Raid1 so you will got 750Gb available to use for your VPS. 20 - 40 Gb is for your servers and windows. so you can use 700Gb for the virtual servers.

The server has 8GB which should be more than enough I would hope when using Hyper-V with 4/5 VMachines
Yes I have already answerd this question. You can use 7Gb for your VPSes.

Need some advice, im not too hot on Linux, have a basic knowledge, is Linux the better option or is Hyper-V pretty good in the performance stakes?
Yeah if you only want to create Windows VMs, Hyper-V is good for you, also best choice for you.

Also would the users have a virtual desktop when using Hyper-V like RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) when they connect to my server?
Each virtual server is a separate windows server. So you can have RDP for it and use it as a dedicated server

I hope, I could clear up your questions.

rickyday
19-03-2010, 12:52
Hello folks.

Im looking at renting a EG Best of and using it for virtualisation and adding a few vps (is that what they are called in Windows) so I can sell them to a few friends/colleagues?

First question is have any of you used Hyper-V for this type of scenario?
Second question how many containers/virtual machines would you have on a server or this spec? I was thinking 4/5?
Third question is how would the 2 x 750GB discs perform with 4 or 5 VMs being used? would the performance be dire?

The server has 8GB which should be more than enough I would hope when using Hyper-V with 4/5 VMachines

Need some advice, im not too hot on Linux, have a basic knowledge, is Linux the better option or is Hyper-V pretty good in the performance stakes?

Also what amount of hard drive space should i allocate and how much ram per machine? what kind of price?

Also would the users have a virtual desktop when using Hyper-V like RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) when they connect to my server?

Just need little advice guys
Ta.

If anyone can assist there would be free space and a share of the 10TB bandwidth availble