OVH Community, your new community space.

Is download restricted to 10Mbps too after quota is over?

fozl
24-03-2010, 11:41
If you found your server was limited for awhile, then your quota may need to be adjusted. If an order for more Traffic was placed on the basis of a limit being incorrectly applied, then of course there should be a refund of that order. Get in touch with us at customersupport@ovh.co.uk and we'll take it from there.

fozl
24-03-2010, 11:11
Quote Originally Posted by tim2718281
I think the underlying assumption is that it is unusual for servers to exceed their quota.

What to do when it happens? Some suppliers charge extra fees, some cut off service; some limit traffic to 10mbps. Maybe some do something else.

Anyway, right now there are people complaining that OVH's programs are counting traffic wrong, by failing to distinguish between internal and external traffic; and so OVH is incorrectly throttling servers to 10mbps.

If the complaint is correct, then having internal traffic go at 100mbps or 1gbps won't fix it -
external traffic would still be throttled to 10mbps when it should not be.

I'd guess OVH has recently introduced a change to automate server throttling, and there's a bug in it.
Somehwhat, you can se the details here:
http://uk.babelfish.yahoo.com/transl...rUrl=Translate

tim2718281
23-03-2010, 19:13
Quote Originally Posted by YouWhat
IAll I am saying is maybe we can give OVH a little breathing room to be able to look at implementing this for us, and have their discussions and the pen pushing in the meetings further up the food chain there with those that need to say yes and make the decision, and for OVH, all we as the users ask is that you can push this up as high as you can to make this happen for us.
I think the underlying assumption is that it is unusual for servers to exceed their quota.

What to do when it happens? Some suppliers charge extra fees, some cut off service; some limit traffic to 10mbps. Maybe some do something else.

Anyway, right now there are people complaining that OVH's programs are counting traffic wrong, by failing to distinguish between internal and external traffic; and so OVH is incorrectly throttling servers to 10mbps.

If the complaint is correct, then having internal traffic go at 100mbps or 1gbps won't fix it -
external traffic would still be throttled to 10mbps when it should not be.

I'd guess OVH has recently introduced a change to automate server throttling, and there's a bug in it.

YouWhat
23-03-2010, 15:05
I don't deny that this issue isn't something that should be ignored, and maybe OVH should have considered implementing this when they introduced the limits on the bandwidth and made the changes for that, but as the network stands at the moment, there is probably a couple of thousand switches and routers in each datacenter that will need to be reconfigured for this to become reality, we as the users also have to realise what a huge undertaking this would be for OVH to implement now, and this is something that cannot be made on a snap decision due to the problems it will cause and the manpower that will be needed to undertake this. All I am saying is maybe we can give OVH a little breathing room to be able to look at implementing this for us, and have their discussions and the pen pushing in the meetings further up the food chain there with those that need to say yes and make the decision, and for OVH, all we as the users ask is that you can push this up as high as you can to make this happen for us.

(Just trying to be diplomatic and see both sides of things regarding this issue as with how things unfortunately have been put so far in this thread, it has been very one sided from us the members which then makes the staff at OVH less helpful as they till be more defensive so as not to end up saying or promising something they cannot deliver on)

So both sides on this, can we please just take things as much as we can without the demands and any accusations and any of the "well it should be this way" approach to things, so as that way something might actually get done as both sides can then try and find a way to agree on a proper course of action for the route of things with this problem, and others to proceed forward so we can get the issues resolved.

Thank you too everyone who will read this and will now approach this in a way we can all get along and this and any other issues resolved.

OVHelp
23-03-2010, 14:34
Quote Originally Posted by YouWhat
As I see it, its all down the time and effort it would take to setup and configure the several thousand routers and switches to do this, it would make for a major task to go around and do it, and hence would cost OVH quite a bit of money to do.

I agree to the extent that internal traffic should remain unrestricted, but at same time, you have got to look at the other side of the coin, the realistic time and manpower it would actually take to undertake such a task, if they did do this, it would take possibly weeks, if not months to complete, and would render no end of problems also with the servers that are currently setup and running, which in turn would then create a lot of support requests and issues also, so they would then have to debate whether undertaking such a huge task would be financially viable for them to do as a company.

Maybe if they configured the routers / switches and then replaced them 1 or 2 racks at a time, would make this possible, and cause less disruption on the network as a whole, but then this would only then serve to lengthen the process of upgrading the task as a whole.

I know we as customers should be able to see or request this as standard throughout the network, but making it happen for the reasons mentioned above would cause problems, and not just for the servers in the racks that are undergoing the upgrade, but for the OVH network as a whole. Maybe this should be something to implement in newer expansions on the network, and also slowly implement this on the existing network at same time also? There has to be some sort of compromise between us and OVH with this, if only for the the realization of how big a task it would be for them to implement such a thing!!
Its great to see other competent users coming to the table to rally up against this.

However, one must keep in mind that this would be a 'one off setup' - no doubt something that should of been implemented from the start. But keep in mind, back in the 'good ol days' OVH used to have completely unlimited traffic...

Now OVH have done a round-about on this idea, we are seeing some work that needs to be done - something a company such as OVH (well atleast the way Oles and others are trying to portray) should seriously consider.

Ponders on the past..

YouWhat
23-03-2010, 14:12
As I see it, its all down the time and effort it would take to setup and configure the several thousand routers and switches to do this, it would make for a major task to go around and do it, and hence would cost OVH quite a bit of money to do.

I agree to the extent that internal traffic should remain unrestricted, but at same time, you have got to look at the other side of the coin, the realistic time and manpower it would actually take to undertake such a task, if they did do this, it would take possibly weeks, if not months to complete, and would render no end of problems also with the servers that are currently setup and running, which in turn would then create a lot of support requests and issues also, so they would then have to debate whether undertaking such a huge task would be financially viable for them to do as a company.

Maybe if they configured the routers / switches and then replaced them 1 or 2 racks at a time, would make this possible, and cause less disruption on the network as a whole, but then this would only then serve to lengthen the process of upgrading the task as a whole.

I know we as customers should be able to see or request this as standard throughout the network, but making it happen for the reasons mentioned above would cause problems, and not just for the servers in the racks that are undergoing the upgrade, but for the OVH network as a whole. Maybe this should be something to implement in newer expansions on the network, and also slowly implement this on the existing network at same time also? There has to be some sort of compromise between us and OVH with this, if only for the the realization of how big a task it would be for them to implement such a thing!!

HandsomeChap
23-03-2010, 14:06
My guess is basic script limits port rate to 10mpbs when you exceed external bandwidth, to change this to something that checks traffic destination for internal/external to only limit external would be too much work to do unfair or not.

Andy
23-03-2010, 13:31
It seems a tad unfair to those who require both internal and external bandwidth, but one month they may go over their quota and find their internal bandwidth is also limited, causing them yet more problems...?

fozl
23-03-2010, 12:44
Quote Originally Posted by OVHelp
All I'm suggesting is this gets a 're-think' or brought up in one of your bi-yearly meetings.

You're telling us to monitor and think 'economically' about resources which you provide to as free throughout the month - doesn't seem a valid response. Not to mention now the Bandwidth Monitor doesn't show Internal Consumption..

Why through the 30-days of our contract do you not give a hoot about internal b/w then all of a sudden turn around and go "Hey now, stop that - we're going to limit it".

Take for example if the Government all of a sudden turned around and limited the air we breath AFTER a certain amount of air is consumed by our children.

Or after 'x' amounts of visits to the park, that the Council comes in and restricts your visits even while we pay Tax...

-OVHelp
Hmmm, not really. You can send data internally all month long and it won't add to your quota. External traffic can effect bandwidth.

Here's a fun analogy, it's more like free refills of beer. If for whatever reason you exchange your pint glass for a half pint glass, it doesn't make your refills any less free. In this case the deal is if you decide to go over-quota you get a 10Mbps beer glass.

That's for whichever tap you draw from, the external beer you pay for or the free internal stuff.

collard41
23-03-2010, 12:00
*biannual

I also disagree with capping the internal bandwidth after the external quota has been filled.

OVHelp
23-03-2010, 11:55
Quote Originally Posted by fozle
I suppose it encourages economic behaviour, the relationships between the use of various resources shouldn't be ignored.
All I'm suggesting is this gets a 're-think' or brought up in one of your bi-yearly meetings.

You're telling us to monitor and think 'economically' about resources which you provide to as free throughout the month - doesn't seem a valid response. Not to mention now the Bandwidth Monitor doesn't show Internal Consumption..

Why through the 30-days of our contract do you not give a hoot about internal b/w then all of a sudden turn around and go "Hey now, stop that - we're going to limit it".

Take for example if the Government all of a sudden turned around and limited the air we breath AFTER a certain amount of air is consumed by our children.

Or after 'x' amounts of visits to the park, that the Council comes in and restricts your visits even while we pay Tax...

-OVHelp

fozl
23-03-2010, 11:36
I suppose it encourages economic behaviour, the relationships between the use of various resources shouldn't be ignored.

OVHelp
23-03-2010, 11:29
I honestly don't see why you feel this is absurd, sure internal traffic is limited too but internal traffic does not count toward the quota. Is it the necessity for balance that you don't like.
I'm not trying to start an argument or anything - simply trying to see the reasoning behind it mate.

For the entire month internal traffic is regarded as free (doesn't count towards our quotas), but then all of a sudden if/when we become capped (I have never been in the last 8 months I've been with you - simply discussing the reasoning) then all of a sudden it seems as OVH now 'cares' about internal traffic, and as such limits it.

I don't see the rationalisation behind letting us have free internal bandwidth - as it is NO cost to OVH, and then all of a sudden turning around and limiting (and in a sense, making us pay for internal traffic) it.

If internal bandwidth is covered in the initial monthly payment, why then make us pay for it when we are capped (Yes I understand we pay for External also - but as a side-effect we also pay for what we received as free throughout the month)..

Cheers

fozl
23-03-2010, 11:10
Do you not that that is a tad absurd Fozle? That throughout the entire month INTERAL traffic is considered free - and then once going over the 30 day quota, you limit external traffic (This is fair) but you go onto limit internal traffic...
I honestly don't see why you feel this is absurd, sure internal traffic is limited too but internal traffic does not count toward the quota. Is it the necessity for balance that you don't like.

OVHelp
23-03-2010, 10:28
No, not as far as I'm aware. You are correct in that internal traffic is unmetered, and exceeding the 30 day quota results in a 10Mbps connection.
Do you not that that is a tad absurd Fozle? That throughout the entire month INTERAL traffic is considered free - and then once going over the 30 day quota, you limit external traffic (This is fair) but you go onto limit internal traffic...

fozl
23-03-2010, 10:04
And by that do you mean looking into altering this 'policy' as I see it as completely unnecessary, and just greedy to limit LOCAL/INTERNAL speeds as they remain free without the month as is..?
No, not as far as I'm aware. You are correct in that internal traffic is unmetered, and exceeding the 30 day quota results in a 10Mbps connection.

turbanator
23-03-2010, 02:23
And by that do you mean looking into altering this 'policy' as I see it as completely unnecessary, and just greedy to limit LOCAL/INTERNAL speeds as they remain free without the month as is..?
they are just going from bad to hopeless now..i can see a lot of customers dropping ovh if this doesnt soon change where the internal bw is being counted..no need to pay for 10tb here when you can find 10tb on better networks elsewhere.

OVHelp
22-03-2010, 23:14
Actually we do limit everything once the threshold is exceeded. We'll be adding a more descriptive breakdown of traffic use in the Manager soon enough.

derchris
22-03-2010, 22:20
It was like this all the time

antdgar
22-03-2010, 17:48
weird

turbanator
22-03-2010, 16:10
Actually we do limit everything once the threshold is exceeded. We'll be adding a more descriptive breakdown of traffic use in the Manager soon enough.
after deducting internal bw too from remaining data left in the month..yeah thanks for pissing off a lot of customers at the moment

fozl
22-03-2010, 15:57

OVHelp
22-03-2010, 14:05
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
That's odd as surely you would still allow internal traffic at full speed?
Here here - There would be NO VALID reasoning to limit INTERNAL speeds if they are considered 'Free' (Another matter atm...) throughout the month.

Marks.. Neil... Confirmation?

Andy
22-03-2010, 13:40
Quote Originally Posted by Marks
yeah, the switch port is changed to 10Mbps, so it affects both speeds.

A look at # ethtool eth0 will show you that.
That's odd as surely you would still allow internal traffic at full speed?

marks
22-03-2010, 13:07
yeah, the switch port is changed to 10Mbps, so it affects both speeds.

A look at # ethtool eth0 will show you that.

yonatan
21-03-2010, 12:56
nah, once your limited, its the switchport, simple # dmesg | tail will show you the status.

tim2718281
21-03-2010, 11:19
Quote Originally Posted by turbanator
so technically speaking ovh-ovh ips shud not be limited?
The web page for servers say the connection is limited to 10mbps is it exceeds its traffic limit.

Is it possible they've not had an automated process for enforcing traffic limits in the past, and now they have introduced one and got it wrong (counting all traffic instead of just external traffic.)

Andy
21-03-2010, 10:23
Technically, however it seems they have changed something on certain switches that has caused it to count all traffic as external.

turbanator
21-03-2010, 04:02
OVH's switches could make a roast dinner and strawberry pudding for desert if they wanted...

They are very powerful switches. They don't change port speed, they limit the bandwidth on an IP basis.
so technically speaking ovh-ovh ips shud not be limited? say a 91.121.* ip starts downloading/uploading to/from another 91.121.* ip it shud allow it to go at 100Mbps or 1Gbps correct?

bcz if that is the case then its not an issue..100% of my download is from ovh..i dont use wget..nthing..no internet browser nthing..50% upload is to ovh too..as long as there routers full ability to send files between ovh ips i am fine with it..tho i wud still want to see this issue resolved! abt ovh upload bw being counted

tim2718281
20-03-2010, 22:56
OVH's switches could make a roast dinner and strawberry pudding for desert if they wanted...

They are very powerful switches. They don't change port speed, they limit the bandwidth on an IP basis.
So if I have a server with four IP addresses, OVH could limit the total speed of outgoing traffic from those IP addresses on routes A, B, and C to 10mbps, while not limiting traffic from those IP addresses on routes D, E, and F?

Neat.

Andy
20-03-2010, 22:27

tim2718281
20-03-2010, 18:31
I would expect internal traffic to remain full speed - I mean its free for OVH in the first place, why penalize us? I understand about external traffic - but internal should remain un-throttled...
Could they do that?

Ethernet adapters support a limited number of speeds - 10mbps, 100mbps, 1000mbps; and Ethernet switches will often allow an installation to limit which of those speeds a connection can use. So I can see how OVH could implement a 10mps restriction on a server's Ethernet port ... just configure the switch to force that port speed to 10mbps.

Keeping the port running at 100mbps or 1000mbps and limiting the speed of certain outgoing traffic from that port would require support for that in the switch. Do the OVH switches have that support?

turbanator
20-03-2010, 18:30
I would expect internal traffic to remain full speed - I mean its free for OVH in the first place, why penalize us? I understand about external traffic - but internal should remain un-throttled...
yeah all my download traffic is from ovh

OVHelp
20-03-2010, 18:04

tim2718281
20-03-2010, 17:40
Quote Originally Posted by stoner
Yep thats what I would of thought. Internal should deffinetly be max speed still. Although I did expect it to be limited to 10mbps completly. This is OVH afterall
The server web page says the connection is limited to 10mbps when a server exceeds its quota.

So that would apply to all traffic, in both directions.

It seems reasonable to me ... it allows for a simple implementation, just force the ethernet connection to 10mbps. Controlling different speeds for different traffic and directions is more complicated.

stoner
20-03-2010, 17:23
Quote Originally Posted by turbanator
just found out that download is restricted to 10Mbps too??? after ur monthly quota is over

i thought download was always free from internet or ovh..and only upload to internet is restricted to 10Mbps!

Yep thats what I would of thought. Internal should deffinetly be max speed still. Although I did expect it to be limited to 10mbps completly. This is OVH afterall

turbanator
20-03-2010, 15:52
just found out that download is restricted to 10Mbps too??? after ur monthly quota is over

i thought download was always free from internet or ovh..and only upload to internet is restricted to 10Mbps!