OVH Community, your new community space.

Possible to have Xen, Proxmox and CentOS on same server.

RimBlock
30-03-2010, 02:31
Excellent,

Now where is that tiger, the four wellington boots and the bucket of jelly .

RB

freshwire
29-03-2010, 18:20
Everything is possible

RimBlock
27-03-2010, 08:34
Just a quick update.

Proxmox did ask for a drive to install on. Strangle it would not install on my second drive which had a copy of Proxmox on it from beofre I had the test machine, saying it could not unmount root.

When I chose the third drive it installed fine though. A bit of mounting the first drives /boot to get the config lines for grub and we are all good.

I have not yet installed Xen .

Cheers
RB

yatesco
24-03-2010, 09:09
Quote Originally Posted by RimBlock
Thanks Yatesco,

The problem is if the ProxMox overwrites the CentOS and Xen overwrites the Proxmox as all want to use the 1st drive in the machine I will end up with Xen and nothing else after a fair few hours work .

Mind you, as I can't get in to the BIOS of my new (sort of) test machine to even boot from the DVD drive until I get a PS2 keyboard it has hit a bit of a brick wall already.

Cheers
RB
Good point - I am used to the old days of installing Linux when you had to choose everything including devices and partitions. It has been a while since I last installed them but I am pretty sure they all do allow you to choose the disks if there are multiple devices... Not promising though

RimBlock
24-03-2010, 01:59
Thanks Yatesco,

The problem is if the ProxMox overwrites the CentOS and Xen overwrites the Proxmox as all want to use the 1st drive in the machine I will end up with Xen and nothing else after a fair few hours work .

Mind you, as I can't get in to the BIOS of my new (sort of) test machine to even boot from the DVD drive until I get a PS2 keyboard it has hit a bit of a brick wall already.

Cheers
RB

yatesco
23-03-2010, 13:01
Great, thanks.

Yep I can edit Grub to choose the boot disk / image, that should not be an issue. I just wanted to make sure Xen and Proxmox would give a choice if they detect more than one disk rather than just writing over the boot disk.

Thanks
RB
That is the thing I don't know - haven't tried it. Even if they do just re-edit the grub menu.lst.

RimBlock
23-03-2010, 12:36
Great, thanks.

Yep I can edit Grub to choose the boot disk / image, that should not be an issue. I just wanted to make sure Xen and Proxmox would give a choice if they detect more than one disk rather than just writing over the boot disk.

Thanks
RB

yatesco
23-03-2010, 09:21
Can I install all three on the same machine with each having their own hard disk and then use Grub to choose which to boot in to.
Yep - you might need to do clever things with updating grub yourself - note sure. But yes in principle.

Speedy059
23-03-2010, 09:04
You can install all 3 kernels sure, but you can only use 1.

RimBlock
23-03-2010, 04:31
Hi,

Asking here as I am pretty sure there are expericend users in all three .

I have a test machine at home and am testing the following three solutions before renting a server;

OpenVZ on CentOS 5.4 64bit
Xenserver
Proxmox

I have just aquired a seperate test PC for the task and have 3 hard disks. Can I install all three on the same machine with each having their own hard disk and then use Grub to choose which to boot in to.

I ask as I do not recall getting a question of where to install or partition setup options when I had installed Xen and Proxmox to a Virtual Box instance on my main machine. I would rather not install and update OpenVZ no CentOS and then installing Xen intended for the second drive find out it has by default overwritten the OpenVZ install.....

Many thanks
RB