OVH Community, your new community space.

File system suddenly turn to Read-only file system!

marks
26-05-2010, 12:39
well, in the previous case, the engineers could detect the issue even though you didn't provide no evidence at all about it. You can wait and see if that's the case too.

But if it's not, and it turns up not to be the same problem, then you'll have to provide more evidence.

It's fine now if you want to wait to see if the engineers can detect something wrong.

But normally, the customer (only administrator of the server, we can't access it) has to show us the problem. And in this post, you've been told several things you can check to find out more about the issue.

But, as you see. It's fair enough if you just want to wait. Let's see what the engineers can see about it. But like this, it doesn't help to fix the issue as quickly as it could with proper information about the problem.

CAPE
25-05-2010, 19:42
I reopened an old ticket because the problem I have now is the same as the first one but with the second disc instead and I wanted to save you and myself time and therefore I referred you to read the ticket at the beginning and if you did you will find error troubleshooting made at the first opportunity and of course the same tests were done this time a well and same error accuured and I thought it was a self-certainty that you would face the problem but this is not the case, the customer must tear his but off before being taken seriously.

Did you read this post at the very beginning? If you did you would also understand what the problem is.

Anyway now I have no desire to keep the server anymore because I have neither time nor energy to devote on this server because of all the problems I had with it.

This is the second EG BestOF which run into the sands in three months' time.
With the last server you never managed to fix the error, even though I supplied you with all the information you required and called you separate times and you moved around the issue between different techniques and I had to explain the problem to different people each time.

Regards

marks
25-05-2010, 10:43
you've reopened a ticket of almost 2 months ago, saying that's the same problem but not actually providing any information.

What's the issue? is the server showing disk errors? can you show us some? could you run # fdisk -l to see what's your configuration and that all disks are seeing from the system?

Run the rescue mode test too, if you need to. But you must point out with some more precision where the problem is.

You should provide more information both in the ticket and in the forum.

CAPE
24-05-2010, 23:43
OK, here we go again!

OVH staff what's the status of incident ticket 401543 please?

The disc (sdb) got replaced by you because it was faulty but now I have exactly the same issue as described on this thread with *disc sda* instead.

Could you please check it out

Thank you

CAPE
29-03-2010, 18:04
Thanks a lot guys for you time and patience!

And many thanks to OVH because you took this issue serious and the sdb disc is replaced now.

Kind regards

yonatan
29-03-2010, 13:56
Seems to be like a defect on the hard drive /dev/sdb
when a partition will remount in read only mode in general it means you have errors on your drive.

you can see in the file /etc/fstab ( which controls your mount points )
as example /dev/sda1 / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1

( this is hard raid ^ but the example is good for any device)

reboot to rescue , and run

smartctl --all /dev/sdb

also, you might want to run a full fsck check so you can show logs to the tech team via a ticket ....

Neil
29-03-2010, 10:46
Hi

Server address?

What errors are you getting? Have you tried running SmartCtl in Rescue Mode on sdb?

CAPE
29-03-2010, 01:13
When I try to install the server I got this error all the the time:

CAPE
29-03-2010, 00:45
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
They will ask you to check the hardware first.
Did you check if there are any errors showing for the Harddrives?
Yes I did check the harddrives by rebooting the server in rescue mode and the errors were pointing on the sdb disc, but I'm not sure if that's enough.

derchris
29-03-2010, 00:25
They will ask you to check the hardware first.
Did you check if there are any errors showing for the Harddrives?

CAPE
29-03-2010, 00:21
Thanks for trying to help me out but I'm afraid this stuff it's to complicated for me to solve by myself and I don't really understand how to read all the errors I get from dmesg, /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages. All the errors seems to point to sdb and honestly I'm not sure how to use fsck.

I have wrote to OVH about this issue and I'm wondering if OVH have an responsibility to help me to solve this issue?

Regards

Myatu
28-03-2010, 22:52
Is it just your home folder (what's the output of "ls -la /" and check the permissions)? Did you check dmesg, /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages? And finally, run fsck on the affected drive (see "man fsck" for details). Sorry for the briefness, but hopefully you this can help you establish the issue...

CAPE
28-03-2010, 22:25
Hi,

I bought an EG-09 BestOF for less than a month ago and I have unfortunately suffered a problem I never experienced before.

When I got the server I installed it as raid0 via the manager and followed this thread: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1645
I have done this before without any problems.

I'm using Debian Lenny as an operating system, the server works great in a couple of days but suddenly the Home folder turns to read-only filesystem and cant do anything in the Home folder expect reading from it.
I did a reboot and suddenly the server will not return and I receive an email from OVH which tells me the following: Our system of monitoring has just detected a defect on your server; Destination Host Unreachable.

After a few hours the server returns and work as normal and after few hours the same issue returns and the Home folder remains read-only file system and can't do anything then read the contents from it. Again I do a reboot and the server goes offline and again I receive another email from OVH telling me: Destination Host Unreachable.

I have tried to reinstall the server with raid0 and each time during the reinstallation it stops with the following message: and error during partition reset: Unable to create label on / dev / sdb: 1. I have done this with Debian and Ubuntu and it gives me the same error when reinstalling.

I have also tried to format and rebuild the server without the raid0 and it gives me the following errors all the time: Error during partition creation ext3 (mount: / home): 1.

Is this server made to do soft raid0 configuration or not through the manager?

I'm trying to understand why the server works good for few days and suddenly the file system changes the read and write rights by it self and only gives me read rights.

Please help

Kind regards