OVH Community, your new community space.

How to allow VPS users to install their own OS

Thelen
01-04-2010, 10:27
I also am looking for a VPS solution that allows client-enduser interaction. Being able to offer people a reboot/reinstall interface is, well, AWESOME.

I'm suspecting someone has to write an interface that talks via the backends of OpenVZ, Xen, etc. Something like solusvm would be nice, but after signing up for the trial, going to the install 'page', frankly I decided not to continue (plus its CentOS based, so ewww)

RimBlock
01-04-2010, 07:16
Unfortunately my freeNX install stopped working and it has taken a couple of days, give or take life getting in the way, to get it working again. The VPS was not creating a lo loopback interface . Once found, easily resolved.

I can now take a look over the long weekend at solusvm and see how it goes. I may also take a look at building something myself as I am a little adverse to a monthly charge to use software.

If anyone is interested in putting something together and has some ability with the front end interweb interface side then feel free to get in touch.

Cheers
RB

jonlewi5
31-03-2010, 11:46
ah i had forgotten about that, yaeh it may be worth removing hypervm from the suggestions

Neil
30-03-2010, 15:20
Quote Originally Posted by jonlewi5
Theres solusvm and hypervm, though i dont know if they will work alongside proxmox

http://solusvm.com/
http://lxlabs.com/software/hypervm/

Iv used hypervm in the past and found it to be pretty good at what it does.

I havnt personally used solusvm, but it does look like the better of the two.

Jon

EDIT

Not sure if this is what you mean, but thought id put it out there
Not sure about HyperVM it went open source after the 'incident' and I think the project stalled.

jonlewi5
30-03-2010, 13:19
Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeChap
Im a solusvm user, its good :-] Really actively developed as well, I've got a demo vps if you want to look at the client side of the panel, you'll have to install it yourself for the admin side though
I may take you up on that when i get some time, got a crazy time going on at the mo, but i will get in touch, cheers

HandsomeChap
30-03-2010, 12:33
Im a solusvm user, its good :-] Really actively developed as well, I've got a demo vps if you want to look at the client side of the panel, you'll have to install it yourself for the admin side though

jonlewi5
30-03-2010, 11:03
Cool, let me know how it goes as iv been meaning to trial it but havnt found the time yet

RimBlock
30-03-2010, 10:32
Thanks Jon,

Solusvm is looking good. Maybe I'll give it a trial tonight .

Cheers
RB

jonlewi5
30-03-2010, 09:59
Ahh yeah, those will do it.

RimBlock
30-03-2010, 09:15
thanks for the links Jon, I am taking a look now.

As for what I am after, imagine.......

I have a server with a OpenVZ linux VPS. I am lending the VPS to a friend but do not want them to have host access or to have to do startups / reinstalls for them.

What can I install so he can manage the VPS by himself without a direct host login (direct host being the underlying server not the VPS instance).

Cheers
RB

jonlewi5
30-03-2010, 08:06
Theres solusvm and hypervm, though i dont know if they will work alongside proxmox

http://solusvm.com/
http://lxlabs.com/software/hypervm/

Iv used hypervm in the past and found it to be pretty good at what it does.

I havnt personally used solusvm, but it does look like the better of the two.

Jon

EDIT

Not sure if this is what you mean, but thought id put it out there

RimBlock
30-03-2010, 05:40
Thanks for the reply monkey56657

Hmm,

I thought this would be fairly simple.

The VPS user can currently reboot or shutdown from a running VPS with the shutdown command or via the Gnome desktop.

Allowing a user to reinstall the OS or boot from cold would tend to indicate they need to be able to connect to the host. Every provider has an option to reinstall a VPS for their clients etc so there must be a standard package which gives this ability I would have thought, I just am not sure what it is.

The other option is to develop the process myself, which is very doable although the web programming parts will pose more of a challenge. The DB and scripting backend should be no issue.

Does sort of feel like I would be reinventing the wheel though.

RB

Run a DB and web interface. Webform selections set flags in the DB which 'push' commands to the Host using a restricted login. DB/Webserver could be on a remote machine or in a VPS (local or remote).

freshwire
29-03-2010, 18:27
Xtrahost provide access to xen console/shell which is usually used for rebooting the VPS. One thing it does allow though is access to serial console.. and therefore to see the custom version of grub they use.

From grub I can then install custom OS by modifying the init script of network hosted initrd file to present me with busybox shell.

I guess the xen serial console could therefore be useful with xen booting from a disk.. (provided .iso or something).

Other option might be to provide them with a temporary ~2GB disk that they can use with debootstrap and the like.. before having it transferred back.

As for proxmox specifics.. I have no idea.. Never used it.

RimBlock
29-03-2010, 16:48
Hi,

Ok, I am now at the point where I have Proxmox installed, a VE with Unbuntu 9.10 installed and updated, freeNX installed on the VE (still working on the dsa key issues) and will soon template it. I also have the code in place to automatically, correctly setup the network bridging, interfaces, ip addresses and routing rules for containers using their own dedicated IP addresses.

I have not worked with any of the panels for system admin (apart from Proxmox) and so am looking for advice on what tool people make available to VPS users which allows them to wipe / reinstall a OS without needing access to the host server.

I have had a quick google but without knowing any specific software to look out for I just get VPS companys offering the ability to 'reinstall a vps operating system'.

Would be grateful for some direction.

Thanks as always
RB