OVH Community, your new community space.

Question about freebsd on xen

MJennings
03-04-2010, 07:03
Hi guys. Thanks for all the responses, I didn't expect so many about my question.. I solved the problem by setting my netmask to 255.0.0.0 and it works just fine.

darkfyre
31-03-2010, 13:22
What networking information is in your /etc/rc.conf - mainly what defaultgateway shows in this file ?

hokapoka
31-03-2010, 11:56
Hey

I spent a few days trying to get m00nwall running on VMWare ESXi and have the same issues, I don;t think it's an issue with Xen or ESXi, it's more todo with the configuration of *BSD machines with the OVH FailBack IPS and VirtualMACs. And there's no guide or any information on how it _should_ be done.

While m00nWall is just FreeBSD setup to run as a Firewall I was concerned that m00nwall may have been causing issues, I tried a vanilla FreeBSD and experienced the exact same issues as I had with m00nwall.

I managed to get the IPs configured and then would respond to pings, but I just couldn't get the default route to work, so the machine couldn't ping anything, not even the default Gatway (it might have been able to ping the Physical IP be I can't be sure now).

In the end I gave up and moved to debian (and since to gentoo) and manually used DNAT and IPMasq so the machine acts as the Default Gatway/Firewall for the Virtual machines on my Internal LANs.

Not sure if it'll help you much but this is what I remember doing.

The initial issues I had with both m00nwall and FreeBSD was you can't set 255.255.255.255 as the netmask via the installer, and m00nwalls n/w setup suffered the same issues.

To do this once the machine was installed and booted issued this command :

/sbin/ifconfig em1 [FAILBACK IP] netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast [FAILBACK IP]

(Assuming em1 is the NIC that you are tring to configure.)

Then running ifconfig em1 you can see that the NIC is now configured with the expected netmask and the other IP settings.

Once I had done this the IP would respond to a ping, both from the Physical machines and from my local DSL connection, but it could _NOT_ ping anything [OUT].

I kinda expected this as there was no default route set, or it wasn't configured correctly. So then next step was to add the default route, this is where I got stuck and gave up.

IIRC you are able to add routes using the "route add" command, but you might know more about this than I else your best bet is to get some help from the #FreeBSD chans on IRC.

I have, since, installed another FreeBSD box, but it's set up as a Local client, and it's routed out via my gentoo gateway.

If you can configure another linux machine to handle the VirtualMAC and then use IPMasq / DNAT to route connection the FreeBSD, a bit of pain but it'll work. The gateway I have configured uses very little additional resources and has made life much easier. Moreover, you can get it to handle ALL of you Virtual MACs and then setup the other machiens in some sort of DMZ.

Of course, it would be preferred if OVH could create a guide on exactly how a FreeBSD box or any *BSD should be configured to use a VirtualMAC awith a FailBACK IP that would be great. Especially, as I would have preferred to use some *BSD to act as the gateway rather than Linux.

HTHs

hoka

fozl
31-03-2010, 10:31
Hm not sure... might be a few clues in here:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Fr...=%28FreeBSD%29

You can't ping the FBSD's in or out? What's the config of them?

MJennings
31-03-2010, 07:49
I have a Centos set up as my dom0, I enabled bridged networking and have assigned virtual mac address through ovh panel for each of my vms, and set the virtual mac to the vm, set the ip address in the vm, and set my host's main ip as the gateway. All of this was from a ovh tutorial because of the mac restrictions.

I have several windows vms, all working with this setup and can access the internet. But I have tried two freebsd 8.0 i386 installations and neither of them are working with networking. They both say they are not able to access my hosts main ip. This makes no sense because the windows vms are working fine with the same setup. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this working? Gateway needs set a special way in bsd? Something need changed with the bridging?