OVH Community, your new community space.

Ping between servers in a Virtual Rack

marks
14-04-2010, 11:20
The worst latency you can get is around 1ms (in worst case scenario, where the servers are in the farthest points of the datacentres). Of course, in server physically in the same rack would be much quicker.

But as pointed above, there are several other optimizations you can do to your individual system to improve performance of each system.

The virtual rack would also do the latency between your servers more stable and reliable, apart from the configurations and security advantages that this system brings in.

yonatan
14-04-2010, 07:49
Quote Originally Posted by wminside
I'm running vBulletin so there isn't much I can do about the queries. I'm using memcached though. But we still need to split db + web servers since we handle a lot of traffic.
go for SSD and optimize your system.

wminside
14-04-2010, 03:25
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
If anything, load balancing will increase the latency (extra overhead). You're better off with a local cache, if possible, but at the very least need to make sure the queries are optimized in general (cacheable SELECTs, single vs. multiple INSERTs, etc, etc).
I'm running vBulletin so there isn't much I can do about the queries. I'm using memcached though. But we still need to split db + web servers since we handle a lot of traffic.

Myatu
14-04-2010, 02:56
If anything, load balancing will increase the latency (extra overhead). You're better off with a local cache, if possible, but at the very least need to make sure the queries are optimized in general (cacheable SELECTs, single vs. multiple INSERTs, etc, etc).

wminside
14-04-2010, 01:17
Is a Virtual Rack fast enough to have split db + web servers in it?

derchris
13-04-2010, 22:39
I wouldn't count on that.

RBX-2 and RBX-3 will most likely be more then 0.2 ms

wminside
13-04-2010, 22:10
Since I'll be running http and mysql on separate boxes I really care about this. With my current provider it's around 0.2 ms but the servers are in the same rack.

I believe two servers in a virtual rack would see each other as in a subnetwork. So the question is if I would get the same results using your Virtual Rack technology no matter which DC are they located.