OVH Community, your new community space.

Windows Server 2008 R2 - Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device

mvegetto
15-04-2010, 15:42
Thanks for all the replies! I turned it off and so far everything is okay.

IainK
15-04-2010, 15:06
Personally I would turn it off if you can. Unless you need more speed out of the drives it's better to ensure that the data stays consistent. If you don't keep up with http://travaux.ovh.net then you might find OVH pulling power to your server to replace a reboot system and loosing chunks of files... Not ideal! And it's happened to me.

YouWhat
15-04-2010, 14:37
Depending on your servers hardware, you might not be able to switch it off.

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3833

To this day I still havent found a way around the problem, and have given up on it for the time being.

Goodluck with yours, and hope your hardware allows you to turn it off if you need it.

To disable it, go to Device Manager, The hard drive and then select propeties for the drive, its on 1 of the tabs there to disable it. If you server appears to freeze for more than a couple of mintues then you will need to hard boot it as the hardware isnt allowing you to disable it, and send your server into a crawl and takes forever do do anything.

everwicked
15-04-2010, 14:26
What Marks said

marks
14-04-2010, 09:36
Using the write-cache buffer improves greatly performance of hard drives. The only danger is if the power is disconnected before the cache has been flushed, but in such servers is not a high probability.

What's the reason you would need it off?

mvegetto
14-04-2010, 00:36
Hello everyone,

I have been wondering what to do...does anyone recommend to turn it off?

--------------------------------------------------------
Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device

To prevent data loss, do not select this check box unless the device has a seperate power supply that allows the device to flush its buffer in case of power failure.
--------------------------------------------------------