OVH Community, your new community space.

To mirror or backup - second drive usage.

RimBlock
18-04-2010, 09:24
Interesting Tim,

That is certianly something that never occured but makes perfect sense.

RB

tim2718281
17-04-2010, 10:19
Quote Originally Posted by RimBlock
So mirror or rsync to the second drive ?
Configuring the drives in RAID 1 can also boost read performance. Read IOs can be directed to either drive. So at say 30 IOs per second, using a single drive might give an average read IO time of 30ms, whereas mirroring might give an average read IO time of 20ms.

And the difference increases with IO rate. At 60 IOs per second, the mirrored drives might have an average read IO time of 30ms, compared with maybe 150ms for a single drive.

Razakel
16-04-2010, 15:07
Quote Originally Posted by gregoryfenton
Talking about backup

why when I had a "Start 100M large ++" server did it come with 750GB (the size of the hard drive) of FTP space on ftpbackXX.ovh.net, yet with my kimi C-05G it only comes with 100GB of FTP backup space when the hard drive is 500GB?
Probably costing too much.

gregoryfenton
16-04-2010, 14:37
Talking about backup

why when I had a "Start 100M large ++" server did it come with 750GB (the size of the hard drive) of FTP space on ftpbackXX.ovh.net, yet with my kimi C-05G it only comes with 100GB of FTP backup space when the hard drive is 500GB?

Neil
16-04-2010, 14:35
Quote Originally Posted by RimBlock
Hi Neil,

I was thinking about backing up the whole drive with rsync and not just the data area (excluding temp files and various thow away stuff like OpenVZ template files).

On main drive corruption you just push a new install to the drive and refresh it from the second drive or just repair the corrupted files.

On hardware failure you up the creek wearing a banana skin hat.

Point taken about the free backup but that is limited to 100GB on servers with 1+TB disks .

On the other hand, if a bad file or corruption brings the server down you cannot revert to a previous version of the file with mirroring.

Mirroring with backup is of course the prefered.

The point about not having a viable OS on the second drive is well taken.

Cheers
RB
I take your point about the corruption was well, it is all catch-22. But there is reason we deploy all servers with RAID 1 which is because of hard drive failures and making it quick and easy to restore. Especially as you are running VPS, there would be no downtime if the hard drives are hot swapped.

But it is up to you, we can only advise

RimBlock
16-04-2010, 14:14
Hi Neil,

I was thinking about backing up the whole drive with rsync and not just the data area (excluding temp files and various thow away stuff like OpenVZ template files).

On main drive corruption you just push a new install to the drive and refresh it from the second drive or just repair the corrupted files.

On hardware failure you up the creek wearing a banana skin hat.

Point taken about the free backup but that is limited to 100GB on servers with 1+TB disks .

On the other hand, if a bad file or corruption brings the server down you cannot revert to a previous version of the file with mirroring.

Mirroring with backup is of course the prefered.

The point about not having a viable OS on the second drive is well taken.

Cheers
RB

HandsomeChap
16-04-2010, 11:31
I think neil meant to say raid 1

Neil
16-04-2010, 11:16
Hi

It is best to have a mirror if you want up time, and then make use of the free ftp backup to backup your data.

Also if the OS is on one drive and the backups are on the second and the OS drive fails then it could be difficult to recover your backups anyway.

RimBlock
16-04-2010, 04:05
Hi,

So most of the servers come with two drives and in a lot of ways, creating a mirror (raid 1) seems like the way to go but ....... if given to choice between mirroring and backing up to the second drive with something like rsync, which is better.

Mirroring is meant to give a copy of the drive so you can jump to the second drive if the first fails but backing up to the second drive will give access to historical changes whilst maybe not being quite up to date.

Of course it is best to have both with the backups being duplicated, one being locked in a safe, one being shot to the moon with a dedicated team of astronauts ready to return it, another put in a submarine and guarded by our very own Royal Navy and maybe the last in a drawer at your dads house .

So mirror or rsync to the second drive ?

RB