OVH Community, your new community space.

Virtual MACs not working?

Myatu
21-04-2010, 17:58
"We offer high quality and low prices! Pick one."

marks
21-04-2010, 13:45
The issue here is not about the product but the reparation and intervention times when there is a problem.

For kimsufi servers, there is no maximum reparation time for Level 2 interventions.

If you want quick intervention/reparation times guaranteed by SLA and if broken get compensations, go to ovh.co.uk. That's the biggest difference between both servers.

iMx
21-04-2010, 09:27
Section 13 states:

13 Implied term about care and skill

In a contract for the supply of a service where the supplier is acting in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the supplier will carry out the service with reasonable care and skill.

The supply of my service was not carried out with reasonable care/skill, under a full change management process these errors would not occur - or if they did, testing after changes would invoke a roll back of said change.

Myatu
19-04-2010, 22:27
The thing is, they aren't selling you any goods (there's no transfer of ownership), so that section does not apply. The portion that applies is in the Supply of Goods and Services act of 1982, which states that OVH is bound to its contractual agreement with you. In this case, OVH and you agreed to a SLA in respect to the issue.

makno
19-04-2010, 22:27
i can see a wagon of paracetamol being delivered to oles

iMx
19-04-2010, 21:40
They're a UK registered company, under the sale of goods and supply of services act, they have to refund for the period of time - SLA or no SLA.

Provisions relating to the United Kingdom
1 Implied term about quality

(1) In section 14 of the [1979 c. 54.] Sale of Goods Act 1979 (implied terms about quality or fitness) for subsection (2) there is substituted—

“(2) Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality.

(2A) For the purposes of this Act, goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances.

(2B) For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—

(a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,

(b) appearance and finish,

(c) freedom from minor defects,

(d) safety, and

(e) durability.

iMx
19-04-2010, 21:22
Technically, under the sale of goods act, this service wasnt fit for purpose for for 4 days... They advertise virtual mac's, its part of the included service and it wasnt working....

rickyday
19-04-2010, 10:34
Quote Originally Posted by iMx
Seems to have finally been fixed, will i get time credited for the 4 days it wasnt working?
Not on a Kimsufi no.

Ill start growing hair if you do!

iMx
19-04-2010, 09:20
Seems to have finally been fixed, will i get time credited for the 4 days it wasnt working?

iMx
19-04-2010, 09:15
Phoned 5 times over the weekend, most of the calls werent even logged by your support/service desk team - so each time i had to go through that i had phoned X times before...

On Sunday, up until 14:00BST when i got fed up, i was told there are no engineers in the office - however they expect someone might turn up this afternoon?! No engineers?!

iMx
17-04-2010, 09:45
A VM that IS working:

10:42:57.895189 arp who-has rbx-63-gw.routers.ovh.net tell mambo.xxxx.com
10:42:57.896093 arp reply rbx-63-gw.routers.ovh.net is-at 00:00:0c:07:ac:01 (oui Cisco)

So i know the Xen bridge is set correctly...

iMx
17-04-2010, 09:43
This is a dump from the Xen dom0 (host), on the eth0
bridge. The VM that will not work is billabong, i
receive no ARP reply from your switch/gateway:

10:39:38.432770 arp who-has rbx-63-gw.routers.ovh.net tell
billabong.xxxx.com
ping 10:39:39.432771 arp who-has rbx-63-gw.routers.ovh.net
tell billabong.xxxx.com
10:39:40.432736 arp who-has rbx-63-gw.routers.ovh.net tell
billabong.xxxx.com

Its like im blocked at layer 2? Has some ACL/filter
kicked in?

Neil
16-04-2010, 17:45
Thanks Neil, will it be worked on over the weekend? I got to 5 days (i joke not) last time, and had to look for an alternative.....
The incident team works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. So it is possible that it will be looked at the weekend, but OVH servers come first.

iMx
16-04-2010, 16:56
Thanks Neil, will it be worked on over the weekend? I got to 5 days (i joke not) last time, and had to look for an alternative.....

Neil
16-04-2010, 16:02
Spoke to the UK support guys on the phone, said they would try and chase this..... really dont want to be without 2 of my VM's over the weekend

All info has been provided, and was in fact provided once before, but i got so tired of waiting i used proxy ARP instead... But i want to get virtual MAC's working.

I live in hope!
The ticket will be looked at, however please bear in mind it is a Kimsufi and is not a top priority server.

iMx
16-04-2010, 15:55
Spoke to the UK support guys on the phone, said they would try and chase this..... really dont want to be without 2 of my VM's over the weekend

All info has been provided, and was in fact provided once before, but i got so tired of waiting i used proxy ARP instead... But i want to get virtual MAC's working.

I live in hope!

iMx
16-04-2010, 13:43
PS i should add that the set up works fine on 1 VM, but not the other. The issue is with your switches/virtual macs.

iMx
16-04-2010, 13:37
Ticket number 422747, please anything you can do to speed this along...

iMx
16-04-2010, 13:32
I confirm that i see the ingress ICMP echo request to the VM, however i receive no response at the source of my ping.

Please escalate my case to your network engineering team to review the configuration asap.

marks
16-04-2010, 11:30
normally, for cases like this, we ask the customer to run the tcpdump in the VM, while pinging the machine from a third machine:

# tcpdump host

Basically, if it's an ACL issue, you could see the pings requested coming into, and the ping echo coming out of the VM, but no response would reach the machine pinging.

Could you run that to make sure that this is the problem at this point?

iMx
16-04-2010, 10:02
Is it just me, or are there always constant problems with the virtual MACs? Last time i just found a way around using them, but now i need to...

From my ticket

##
I have a installed your XenServer 5.5 build, however the VM
is not working the virtual mac is correctly set up in the
portal, and is correct set on the VM:

02:00:00:00:0a:c1

The IP address is also set to the correct address -
94.23.154.157, with a /32 subnet mask. I have followed
your below guide:

http://help.ovh.co.uk/BridgeClient

Can you please ask your network team, to check the virtual
mac set up on your switch? I can ping the above VM, from
the host xen server - so the issue is with your switch.
##