OVH Community, your new community space.

VirtualBox ipfailover setup help

Berilac
24-04-2010, 21:07
Yeah thats what I left that as, as per default already there;

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto etho
etc
etc

Myatu
24-04-2010, 14:47
Good stuff, glad it worked

As for "auto lo eth0", you can use these on separate lines (ie: "auto lo" and "auto eth0").

Berilac
23-04-2010, 21:39
Thanks Myatu

So I remove the eth0:0 entry on the host /etc/network/interfaces

Add the failover IP to the guest /etc/network/interfaces select bridged in the guest network adaptor, attached to eth0 and enter in the virtual mac in advanced.

Sounds too easy haha, will give it a try.

## edit##

Yep that worked a treat many many thanks Myatu.

The only thing that didnt work was the auto lo eth0 bit in the config following this link http://help.ovh.co.uk/BridgeClient restarting the network failed with that entry
So I just left it as auto lo

Myatu
23-04-2010, 14:23
You can't use the same IP on both the host and inside the VM. So either define it on the host, and route it (using NAT) to your VM (which uses something like 10.0.2.3), or use bridging mode and assign the IP to the VM itself. When bridged, it should be bridged with eth0 on the host. Also take care to use the virtual MAC / IP failover combination as assigned by OVH - if you don't do this, your server will be removed from the network.

Berilac
22-04-2010, 22:22
Can any one help with the assignment of ipfailover to VM's?

Running VirtualBox3.01 on a Ubuntu 9.10 server. Have setup and installed Ubuntu 8.04 on a guest machine, for test/setup purposes. I am trying to assign an IPFailover to this VM. But for the life of me I cant figure out what needs doing. There seems to be a lot of info out there, but for VMware etc and not VirtualBox, and I cant seem to get it to work.

I have created a virtual mac in OVH>Manager and added the failover IP to /etc/network/interfaces on the host as:

auto eth0:0
iface eth0:0 inet static
address 1.2.3.4
netmask 255.255.255.255
broadcast 1.2.3.4

On the guest machine I have altered the /etc/network/interfaces to mirror the above but as eth0

The failover IP is pingable from the host and shows up in ifconfig on host.
ifconfig on guest shows 1.2.3.4 as the IP address

When selecting bridged mode eth0 shows up and dummy0 ?
Can anyone point me in the right direction please?