OVH Community, your new community space.

running tor on rps

unclebob
28-04-2010, 23:12
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
ok, well i have no clue about that, i used it once just to see what's all the buzz is about, waste of time slow network, i see no benefit in this.
you might try asking OVH support about the t&c, i just know that proxies usually attract un-wanted traffic which will break the t&c for sure.
central ? non-exit? have no clue what that is ... good luck with that mate!
FYI, an exit node allows traffic outside of the Tor network, allowing users relative anonymity on the internet. If you run a Tor node with an exit policy that does not permit any traffic, all connections made will only be to other Tor nodes. All traffic on Tor goes through three nodes before it reaches its destination; if you are not an exit node, your configuration acts as an entry or 'central' node. This way, there is no way* for your server's IP address(es) to be implicated in abusive uses of the Tor network.

*Almost no way.

john_tor
28-04-2010, 23:08
cheers unclebob, don't know why that didn't come up.

it's mostly just an intellectual question regarding whether it can work, not sure i'm THAT bothered about helping them out

and yonaton, you're right it is slow, but it's not necessarily about the performance, it's a proof of concept. it's nice to know that it is possible to be close to anonymous in this day and age. even if it isn't perfect

yonatan
28-04-2010, 22:49
ok, well i have no clue about that, i used it once just to see what's all the buzz is about, waste of time slow network, i see no benefit in this.
you might try asking OVH support about the t&c, i just know that proxies usually attract un-wanted traffic which will break the t&c for sure.
central ? non-exit? have no clue what that is ... good luck with that mate!

unclebob
28-04-2010, 22:48
FYI:
Quote Originally Posted by Fozle
TOR is not allowed on the Ovh network, as it is against French legislation which demands the conservation of all logs that enable the identification of a website editor or participant.
Quote Originally Posted by runa
It sounds like this is just the case for exit nodes. Am I right?
I ran a non-exit Tor node for over a year without hearing a peep out of OVH.

john_tor
28-04-2010, 22:09
was asking more on the 'running a tor relay' side rather than looking for proxy, as a search didn't come up with any tor related posts.

a central, non-exit node would only produce encrypted traffic, no sensitive requests and nothing i can see which will void the t+c's above ...?

yonatan
28-04-2010, 21:34
If you need a proxy,
Install a Squid Cache and configure proper ACL + user/password facility.
tor is just pure rubbish.

fozl
28-04-2010, 17:56
It depends.

T&C here: http://www.ovh.co.uk/customerspace/termsofservice/

john_tor
28-04-2010, 17:40
for bandwidth issues or exposure issues?

fozl
28-04-2010, 17:10
We don't like TOR no.

john_tor
28-04-2010, 16:59
any objections/issues?