OVH Community, your new community space.

Query: Demo1G

kingofsplooge
21-07-2008, 22:51
I don't mind the sub-domain bit for now, since the Demo1g was going to be that anyway xxx.ovh.co.uk etc.

I'll email you shortly, if not tonight - tomorrow, just busy at the minute (packing up from the day's work).

Thank you,

Palad1n
21-07-2008, 19:21
Hi,

If the Domain is not registered, OVH can do it, I personally use UKReg.com as their Panel is great.

Then you assign the Name Servers to my servers and within 3 days you will be on-line (maybe earlier depending on DNS).

Of I can give you a sub-domain .mymaindomain.com, which will not costs you anything, then if you take off you can get your own domain name....

I have 4 Dedi Servers with OVH, 3 VPS in UK, 1 VPS in US (backup DNS etc.)
So Moving it is not a problem.

kingofsplooge
21-07-2008, 18:04
Palad1n,

One question before mailing you.

1st would be, do I need to register the domain with anyone?

Apart from that, the traffic, like i say, would be from 1 view monthly/yearly, to me uploading to update the actual site.
Its more of a base for me to learn HTML etc, and then I can go from there.
With the server side of things, could it be hosted anywhere, just incase it does become too problematic for you.

I do appreciate your offer bud.

IainK, yeah, I've been using Freecycle for sometime now, but because of publicity, its become spoilt by people asking for laptops, motorbikes and cars etc.
I've even seen requests recently for 360's, ps3s and wiis.

Its a shame the moderators can only moderate so much. The forum would've made it so much easier.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you Palad1n.

IainK
21-07-2008, 11:01
Freecycle is an interesting movement, just a shame it's all powered by yahoo groups!

Palad1n
20-07-2008, 21:44
E-Mail me at :

hosting 'at' palad1n 'dot' 'org'

I will need :

Contact E-Mail: (no hotmail/AOL)
Contact Name:
MSN/ICQ No.:
Domain Name:

I will send you account details and you can add mail users, subdomains etc
Server has Fantastico so you can install forum's etc. with a few clicks

When setup you will just need to point DNS to my server.

Will see how it goes but if it starts hurting my server, may have to remove service, but I will give you plenty of warning.

Cheers

kingofsplooge
20-07-2008, 21:18
Hi again people.

Right, I've had word from Freecycle HQ, and they've told me that if Belfast FC were to go onto Forums, they'd lose the Freecycle name.

So unfortunately, the forums aren't going to happen.

Palad1n, if your still ok for very little traffic for a small webpage, I would greatly appreciate it.
Let me know if your ok with this still?

Thank you,

kingofsplooge
20-07-2008, 14:01
Just to add to the above, the member base currently sat at 6524, is the total registered, however with any forum, I'm sure people register with the intent to use, then forget passwords, create another account etc, creating a larger base.

Because the Freecycle movement has people looking for free stuff all the time, the members will constantly change too.
I've seen over the past few months a trend, where people register, mostly because a friend of a friend has said they got a TV for free etc, or even seen a newspaper mentioning about it, once they get the item they want (even if they don't) they'll not bother closing the account, but just leave the site completely.

kingofsplooge
20-07-2008, 13:16
Well, the forum I would need to check how many members there currently is, and since I'm not the owner of the original Belfast group, I wouldn't know how to predict future member numbers.

My own personal site, is just mainly for me to mess about with, while I'm learning HTML, use it for prospective employers etc, so they can see my work.
The Demo1G is great for that, but my question about the security check hasn't been answered. (I need to know if they'll need a Landline to confirm who I am, or can use a Mobile, since I currently don't have a Landline).

Onto the forum again, basically, the numbers currently are : 6524
We have 154 new members (unsure of when this is counted: daily, weekly, monthly etc).

As long as we can have a few main categories, such as:

Cafe - General chat
Swapshop - Swapping / Loaning of items
Freecycle - Recycling of items

and pushing it a bit now, it would need to have some sort of image host (although thats not entirely neccesary, since if needed, we could use Imageshack, Photobucket etc.

If I can get some offers, even from OVH, i'd be able to suggest this at a stronger point for the current owner of the group.

Thanks Palad1n for the offer, looking forward to hearing back from you.

Palad1n
20-07-2008, 12:38
Hi,

How much traffic would you be expecting?

I *MAY* be willing to host a free site and forum if the volumes are OK.

kingofsplooge
20-07-2008, 12:36
Still nothing since I posted this....

Shame.

Well, to add to this, I was just wondering what OVH's position would be on supporting a free organisation called Freecycle.
Since they currently use Yahoo Groups, and the daily emails of spam is becoming something quite cumbersome, I've been contemplating seeing if we could first find a decent webhost that would be willing to host either a very cheap forum site for Freecycle Belfast, or even better, a free site.

The Freecycle Belfast wouldn't be for me, but the Freecycle movement, and the Demo1G would be for me personally.

Hopefully someone will reply.

kingofsplooge
03-06-2008, 13:44
Hi all,

About to "purchase" the free Demo1G pack, along with possibly "purchasing" the other packs (blog, Photo and attachments), since I'm currently messing about with learning HTML.

The Demo1g would only really be used as a profile page about me.

My question is this (more aimed at the OVH team, unless others could shed some light),

The contact telephone number that you use, does this have to be a landline?

When I was ordering the Demo1g last night, it came up saying that I would need to be phoned, to confirm my identity etc, its strange you do this for webhosting, but yet not for servers.

I currently have no home telephone number, and only have a mobile, and would hope that OVH could confirm via mobile.

Thanks,