OVH Community, your new community space.

Recent Price Hike / Contract Change

_Lemon_
16-05-2010, 14:37
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
Nail on the head mate.
True.

Quote Originally Posted by IainK
And those customers that are buying bandwidth that is being used mostly over Transit should pay more for that bandwidth than users who buy TBs and send it all over peering. It's just unfair otherwise.
I have been told that links going over transit takes low priority and is why some connections only get a few KB/s. It also varies server to server because the speeds are dependent on the transit provider (not OVH).

Why is the incentive to purchase more servers instead of differentiating between types of bandwidth and their costs? My guess is that the profit for those nearing bandwidth limits are either in the set up fee or the higher extra bandwidth cost. Good point!

Winit
15-05-2010, 17:51
OVH ripping off no #1 seedbox provider. Oh dear!

IainK
15-05-2010, 16:11
Quote Originally Posted by tim2718281
This odd state of affairs occurs because the price of a server is lower than the price of the included traffic.
Nail on the head mate.

Considering the costs involved: buying the hardware, powering all of the hardware and supporting the hardware vs a few TB traffic and 100mbit/s network connectivity (of which they have 500Gbps) you would think it would incur more costs to provide the server than the bandwidth.

And those customers that are buying bandwidth that is being used mostly over Transit should pay more for that bandwidth than users who buy TBs and send it all over peering. It's just unfair otherwise.

tim2718281
15-05-2010, 08:41
Quote Originally Posted by fozle
Why guess it's true...

There's been no price hike as far as I'm aware, can you provide a link or something to show it?
Oles explained the reasoning behind the price increase (it was for extra traffic; the price went from about 15 pounds/Euros per extra 2TB, to 15 pounds/Euros per extra TB.)

Oles said OVH had found that customers taking additional traffic tended to be those that use a higher proportion of Transit than most customers; so the cost to OVH of their traffic was higher.

That seemed reasonable to me. But he did say the old price would apply to existing servers. Maybe he meant for existing extra traffic purchases (that is, if you're paying for an extra 10TB a month, you'll continue to be charged 75 pounds/Euros for the extra traffic, rather than see the price increased to 150.)

Personally, I'm not sure it always makes sense to pay for large amounts of additional traffic; it may be cheaper to take an additional server, and route through that. This odd state of affairs occurs because the price of a server is lower than the price of the included traffic.

_Lemon_
14-05-2010, 17:59
Quote Originally Posted by Marks
The price change you've quoted was announced on 27/01/2010:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26794&postcount=1

the new price (1TB £14.90) applies to servers bought from that moment, and previous servers can keep on buying the traffic at the old price (2TB £14.90).
Really?! Let's take the first server in my list not rented this year as an example:

Alice-blue's manager page (note the "Creation date" 2009-09-04): http://i41.tinypic.com/21kc9so.jpg

Now take a look at the page purchasing 2TB of extra bandwidth (total: £29.80): http://i43.tinypic.com/s25tlf.jpg

So this is clearly not true.

So, there is NO recent price hike.
Yes there is, I was not referring to the doubling of price that happened ages ago that you just brought up.

I am talking about purchasing 90TB -- larger blocks than 2TB, these used to be lower, but are now all £14.90. They were not all set to this rate after Oles declared it in that forum post.

Not to mention you consider that a notification of customers? Pardon?!

Now, regarding our conversation, I'd appreciate if you quote my words properly: in our email, we were talking about HG servers: therefore 40TB are included in the monthly price and, if you want 70TB, you'll have to pay for 30TB. That is £447.

Where is the problem? that's the right calculation. So, where is the contract change?
Yes you're right here, and I apologise. I did change the quote from you and that's why I put it the "to" in [square brackets] to show this. I must have assumed the prices were different when I read that e-mail (so I hadn't noticed the changes then).

marks
14-05-2010, 17:44
The price change you've quoted was announced on 27/01/2010:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26794&postcount=1

the new price (1TB £14.90) applies to servers bought from that moment, and previous servers can keep on buying the traffic at the old price (2TB £14.90).

So, there is NO recent price hike.

Now, regarding our conversation, I'd appreciate if you quote my words properly: in our email, we were talking about HG servers: therefore 40TB are included in the monthly price and, if you want 70TB, you'll have to pay for 30TB. That is £447.

Where is the problem? that's the right calculation. So, where is the contract change?

_Lemon_
14-05-2010, 17:18
Mentioning a competitor might be seen as a bit disrespectful here.

However yes, they were my exact thoughts too, that is until I realised prices had gone up like this.

unclebob
14-05-2010, 16:40
Hetzner lowered their pricing to €5.90 per TB inc. VAT. Will be interesting to see if OVH react...

_Lemon_
14-05-2010, 11:11
I've misunderstood something maybe, but 14.90 x 90 = 1341 excl VAT...
Now read the quote of what Marc said in an e-mail, he quoted £447 for a server + 30TB. So about 177 for 30TB.

A few weeks ago I was trying to plan out and actually use these servers, my plans show "the OVH server comes with 40TB however the £400 allocation would be for 90TB extra." It was around 410 at that point.

It also seems OVH.com are still getting their 1Gbps love for a reasonable price (select "SLA Business"): http://www.ovh.com/fr/produits/hg_2010_extralarge.xml

fozl
14-05-2010, 10:50
Quote Originally Posted by _Lemon_
Go to purchase extra bandwidth and select 90TB. The price is £1341 (excl. VAT).
I've misunderstood something maybe, but 14.90 x 90 = 1341 excl VAT...

_Lemon_
14-05-2010, 10:41
Why guess it's true...

There's been no price hike as far as I'm aware, can you provide a link or something to show it?
Go to purchase extra bandwidth and select 90TB. The price is £1341 (excl. VAT).

This was said by Marc in an e-mail dated "29/04/10 15:57":

But indeed, the purchase of 30TB extra of traffic per month will bring the server cost up [to] £447/month. But we're talking about 40 TB of traffic (included) plus 30 TB extra.

fozl
14-05-2010, 10:24
Quote Originally Posted by stoner
Well TBH I find working with OVH to be a guessing game most of the time. Sometimes i'm wrong but others i'm right. I presume Lemon being a good person that he is, must of seen this stated somewhere and would not just pull it out of thin air.

Nice to see you could reply to that bit Fozle but nothing on whether the bandwidth counter is working which I would "Guess" is a bit more important.
If you're counter seems to be not functioning, send us an email about it or open a ticket. At this moment you're the only person that's mentioned a problem with it. Either you have a unique problem with the metering affecting only you, or you represent an opportunity to head a wider issue off at the pass as it were.

stoner
14-05-2010, 10:16
Why guess it's true...
Well TBH I find working with OVH to be a guessing game most of the time. Sometimes i'm wrong but others i'm right. I presume Lemon being a good person that he is, must of seen this stated somewhere and would not just pull it out of thin air.

Nice to see you could reply to that bit Fozle but nothing on whether the bandwidth counter is working which I would "Guess" is a bit more important.

fozl
14-05-2010, 10:05
Quote Originally Posted by stoner
Am I missing something. I cant see this anywhere

BUt I guess its true.. Well thank you Lemon for informing the customers about this at least someone is doing there job right. Maybe you could charge £1 for every view of this thread as compensation

Funny how this all comes out when it looks like the bandwidth counting has gone into melt down again.. Has anyone else noticed that the stats in the manager havent updated for the last few days.
Why guess it's true...

stoner
14-05-2010, 08:15
Am I missing something. I cant see this anywhere

BUt I guess its true.. Well thank you Lemon for informing the customers about this at least someone is doing there job right. Maybe you could charge £1 for every view of this thread as compensation

Funny how this all comes out when it looks like the bandwidth counting has gone into melt down again.. Has anyone else noticed that the stats in the manager havent updated for the last few days.

_Lemon_
14-05-2010, 00:39
Dear OVH,

I see that you have recently put up the price for extra bandwidth past 2TB on all servers. I also believe that last month you mentioned you had no plans to change the prices. This was quoted from Marc:

The prices for the traffic is not planned to be changed anymore, and there is no plan to get infrastructure bandwidth anymore.
Where was the 30-day notice as required by the contract you wrote informing me of this change? From your contract:

The Supplier shall be entitled to amend the Conditions at any time by giving notice to the Customer at least 30 days before the changes take effect, such notice to be given by email or by notification on the Supplier's website.
This has happened before when you doubled the price by halving the available bandwidth. It also happened back in early March; particularly this quote from fozle:

Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Acknowledged, good.

So can we trust OVH that there are now internal policies in place to ensure the customers will receive their 30-day notice as outlined in the T&Cs?

And note I do not say "trust" in the lightest sense here as we're standing on very thin ice.

PS.: The website still points to the changed T&Cs.
Yes you can trust that ovh intend to honour our T&C. If there's ever a point at which you feel we have not honoured the T&C then tell us. You have our email address, you have this forum and you have our telephone number.

It's not like we don't inform our customers when we believe that they are in breach of the T&C, (typically we allow 24 hours for them to correct the issue). We aren't shy to be told if you have any issues with your services, our business is basically all about communication afterall.
You claim you want to attract more businesses but how can anyone plan anything with so many changes to your servers? We don't get any notifications and we certainly don't get to rely on the prices staying the same. Why would I want to pay £5066 for a 1Gbps connection? Or just £506 for 100Mbps?

Regards,
Joshua,
MJ43227-OVH