OVH Community, your new community space.

rDNS and Raid Controllers

Myatu
28-05-2010, 20:40
I'm sure it can be done. Just go to the RIPE website and create a new "mnt-domain" object for yourself. Then give this object ID to OVH, along with the desired rDNS destination and they can add you. Then all you need to make sure of is that it passes all the RIPE tests (which may be different from ARIN). There's plenty of details on this on RIPE's website (www.ripe.net).

Speedy059
28-05-2010, 01:30
Don't think you understand what I'm asking as it doesn't matter if a DNS server is in OVH or anywhere else. DNS records have to be propagated to the world root dns servers anyways. It's just easier for us if we can use our own DNS servers for our IP's for rDNS records. We do not want to use OVH dns servers since we have to login to the manager and add them manually.

I'm having a very difficult time getting an answer for this from the forums and support ticket. Nobody seems to know anything about this. 4 data centers in the USA know exactly what this is about as we currently use them for this very purpose.

NickW
28-05-2010, 00:04
Quote Originally Posted by Speedy059
Don't want to use that, just want to use our DNS servers... It's more efficient and gives us better management control of our DNS servers since we use 4 other datacenters. All other datacenters let us use our own DNS servers for reverse DNS records, I hope OVH does too.
Would the rDNS servers be on OVH hosted servers? It might be easier for them to let you if they were.

Speedy059
27-05-2010, 21:47
Don't want to use that, just want to use our DNS servers... It's more efficient and gives us better management control of our DNS servers since we use 4 other datacenters. All other datacenters let us use our own DNS servers for reverse DNS records, I hope OVH does too.

Razakel
27-05-2010, 21:26
Oops, I don't think I made it clear regarding the IP's. Lets say I bought the IP's from you, how would I go about having those IP's setup to use our dns servers for reverse dns entries? We don't want to use the OVH manager since our software has nothing to do with it and uses our dns servers.
I'm not sure if this is any help, but OVH has a SOAP API you can use to update reverse DNS, amongst other things:

http://www.ovh.com/soapi/en/?method=...dReverseModify

Speedy059
27-05-2010, 19:54
Oops, I don't think I made it clear regarding the IP's. Lets say I bought the IP's from you, how would I go about having those IP's setup to use our dns servers for reverse dns entries? We don't want to use the OVH manager since our software has nothing to do with it and uses our dns servers.

So it's not possible to purchase a raid card for a hybrid server what-so-ever?

Neil
27-05-2010, 11:42
I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to have your own entire /24 block pointed to your own rDNS servers so you can handle all reverse dns entries for each IP? We want this since our control panel allows our clients to add their own rDNS hostname for their IP's and it gets added to our DNS servers. This saves us time and support requests. We would rather not use OVH rDNS servers for our IP's, but our own. If we do have to use OVH dns servers for the IP's, can we put a "IN NS" dns record for each IP so it passes the request on to our dns servers?

2) When ordering a server, I do not see an option for a Raid Controller. Does this mean it is not possible to have a raid controller, or is it something that can be added afterwards by contacting sales?
For number 1 it is complex to use your own IP Block outside of OVH, we would recommend you transfer it to OVH then you can just control the rDNS from the OVH Manager, you would not need to contact us just select the IP and change the reverse from the Manager.

2) RAID Controllers are only available on EG Servers and above, and must not be a Hybrid server.

Speedy059
26-05-2010, 19:18
I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to have your own entire /24 block pointed to your own rDNS servers so you can handle all reverse dns entries for each IP? We want this since our control panel allows our clients to add their own rDNS hostname for their IP's and it gets added to our DNS servers. This saves us time and support requests. We would rather not use OVH rDNS servers for our IP's, but our own. If we do have to use OVH dns servers for the IP's, can we put a "IN NS" dns record for each IP so it passes the request on to our dns servers?

2) When ordering a server, I do not see an option for a Raid Controller. Does this mean it is not possible to have a raid controller, or is it something that can be added afterwards by contacting sales?