OVH Community, your new community space.

Cloud Computing continued

Myatu
29-06-2010, 18:44
Heh, I had posted a new blog entry yesterday covering some of that... It's here.

jonlewi5
29-06-2010, 15:04
Iv been using one as the host machione for nagios, been working really well, but turned it off as im running out of points and need to get some more

zydron
29-06-2010, 14:44
currently I don't use them, but you can easely set them up and play with it

it will be charged with your loalty points, which I think you have.

you need 24 points per day.

elvis1
29-06-2010, 01:13
how many ? any specs about the usage you have been giving to them?

thanks

zydron
25-06-2010, 07:13
I have, they are realy nice

elvis1
25-06-2010, 03:19
any one testing the cloud boxes?

zydron
13-06-2010, 22:35
same here, I have some nice ideas where an api is a must have

Myatu
13-06-2010, 21:43
Good, definitely looking forward to that!

Razakel
13-06-2010, 19:35
Apparantly cloud functions will be added to the SoAPI some time in the next month or so.

zydron
10-06-2010, 17:32
I believe you must use a smarthost, for sending e-mail

but what is the address of that server?

jonlewi5
10-06-2010, 15:51
Is there anyway of allowing a vm to send mail?

I dont mind confirming my address or whatever you need as it seemed like the ideal platform for my nagios host.

But obviously being out and about im not always in front of my machine to monitor.

Cheers

uzadmin
09-06-2010, 08:01
very well
please make snapshot backup and restore to 100 gb ovh ftp backup spase

jonlewi5
07-06-2010, 20:53
Thanks very much Myatu.

Very informative as per usual

Cheers

Myatu
07-06-2010, 20:38
Quote Originally Posted by jonlewi5
So have a few questions, the "default" system setup is the o/s of your choice, 5gb HDD and 256 meg, right?
If i left it like that, it would be £7.20 per 30 days ?
Yep.

As for the choice of OSes, it is slightly different from dedicated servers. Debian 5 64 & 32 bits, Centos 5.4, Ubuntu 9.1 64 bits (server only) and 10.04 (server, desktop and with JBoss or Glassfish) and two OVH-fraweworks (Java and Ruby).

What is the actual value of the "loyalty points"?
1 pence. VAT is already paid (either when you top up your points or when you earn points through other types of orders, like a dedicated server renewal).

As the whole point of the cloud is you pay for what you use, Would i get charged if none of the vm's where turned on?
There's no charge when the VM isn't used. For instance, I have only used my VM for about 1 1/2 hours to play and has been turned off for the rest of this week... I've been charged 2 points (£0.02).

And also on the consumption page, is that projected use?
Good one As far as I can tell, it's not "estimated" but actual use.

What the score on bandwith usage?
It's included in the fee (in other words, unlimited).

jonlewi5
07-06-2010, 18:03
Apologise for asking this, but im still getting a little confused by the whole pricing points system.
So have a few questions, the "default" system setup is the o/s of your choice, 5gb HDD and 256 meg, right?
If i left it like that, it would be £7.20 per 30 days ?

What is the actual value of the "loyalty points"?

As the whole point of the cloud is you pay for what you use, Would i get charged if none of the vm's where turned on?

And also on the consumption page, is that projected use?

oh and a little edit,
What the score on bandwith usage?

Im just having a little bit of trouble getting me head round it, cheers

Myatu
07-06-2010, 17:14
Yes, the mC is the first of a "range" of solutions. At first I didn't like of all these different options, but it's making sense now. So the "VPS" is in the works, as well as a "dC" range (work horses for databases, backup space, etc.). There'll also a high-availability solution...

The mC (through kimsufi.co.uk) for £7.20 per 30 days would get you 256 MByte RAM guaranteed, 5 GB RAM and unmetered BW at a minimum of 100 Mbps. If you want 512 MBytes of guaranteed RAM, it's £14.40 per 30 days (0.02 per hour, US$ 20.89 according to XE).

So you don't have to worry about the BW charges (which is Rackspace's money maker), and total usable memory is much larger (2 GByte total - Rackspace wants $87 for that). A benefit too is that OVH uses SSDs to swap out non-guaranteed memory... Oh, and 4x CPU cores

elvis1
07-06-2010, 16:29
If I am getting stuff correctly : OVh is proposing both cloud AND VPS solution? if so thats great!

Mc is quite nice but not THAT good. Take a know ( and reliable example )

In my case:
-HDD: 1 gig would suffice.
-Ram: 256 (512 would be great).I can set the amount I want ( guaranteed) right?
-BW: unmetered then?

Cost would be?
7.20 GBP = 10.4294 USD

What would be the big differences with a provider like rackspace then? BW included (rackspace charges extra for it) and be able to have more swap ram?

Myatu
07-06-2010, 15:42
The VPS Oles proposes is a 1Ghz core machine with 5GB storage space and 50 GB of traffic. Proposed was a fee of 72 Euros for 3 years (so 2 Euros a month). If you need more space at any given point, you wouldn't have to upgrade to the next-larger plan as with most traditional VPS services, but incrementally increase whatever you need (which is what Oles meant with the VPS+Cloud).

The mC currently comes 4x 2Ghz cores and a guaranteed amount of RAM (ie., 256 MB, 512 MB, etc). But you get a total of 2 GB of RAM - whatever is not guaranteed RAM is shared between actual RAM and SSD, depending on the usage on the host server. The storage is 5 GB but cannot be expanded at this time. The minimum network speed is 100 Mbps, whilst I have been able to burst it to 300 Mbps. These mC's are 0.01 per hour per 256 MB of guaranteed RAM (so all the above, but with 512 MB of guaranteed RAM is 0.02 per hour). A basic machine is thus 7.20 per 30 days - but remember, 4x 2 Ghz cores and 2GB total RAM. That's a price I have yet to see anywhere else.

elvis1
07-06-2010, 14:52
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Indeed. But part of it is, I think, that Oles doesn't want to be "just like the rest". In that, he has succeeded IMO.

Here's the bit from the mailing list where Oles opened the conversation about the VPS. It's still ongoing, so expect changes to the final results:

(PS: Machine translation with minor fixes):

Many thanks Myatu. I think he is trying to please everyone with this super mixed solution. When solutions are so mashuped (IMHO) few people find it useful. It s like cooking a small cake (done with the traditional ingredients) and have as an option to add slices of meat ( being exaggerated of course) if you are hungry.

What I am trying to say : is it useful to have a VPS+cloud solution all in one and call it cloud? Does this satisfy client needs? Who this will be useful for?

In my case I need 24/7 512 megs , 1 core and unmetered connection. I pay 6 US bucks for a US unmetered 10 megabit connection ( and they dont pride themselves of having tons of 10 gig pipes and do some cheap peering, they just colocate servers in a DC).
those extra 2 gig from swap would be lovely and I would then pay an extra If I stay most of my time for something like over 1 gig 95% ( like the way BW is billed when it is not unmetered).
Being monitored 24/7 and billed even for hdd access is not my taste at all. I would prefer to have hard limits established into my account instead of being able to encounter a very big surprise at the end of the month ( I can t monitor my server usage during the day as most can due to lack of time).

I guess the cloud wont be for me and I will have to wait for the old fancy VPS

Quote Originally Posted by zydron
And not forget, the price is 2 1/2 times higher than first announced
{local currency} 2,99 was first announced per month, and now it is {local currency} 7,20
yeah, it was something like 2 euros back in time. I do not know current prices, though

Myatu
07-06-2010, 13:14
Quote Originally Posted by elvis1
What I mean is that at first they talked about a product that was like a VPS that now seems not to be available.
Indeed. But part of it is, I think, that Oles doesn't want to be "just like the rest". In that, he has succeeded IMO.

Here's the bit from the mailing list where Oles opened the conversation about the VPS. It's still ongoing, so expect changes to the final results:

(PS: Machine translation with minor fixes):
The idea is following: one mixes a vps…… with the cloud…

- by default you have 1 core X 1.00GHz + 256Mo of RAM
and
if you have needs to increase the power of the vps, you can make it on a cloud, click and it is made. Payment in points of what you consume in more and during time that you chose to make

example of price: you have already an good idea of the price which one practices

- you have 5Go discs understood in the offer
and
you have the disc of 10To and you can go until 10To real. each hour one takes the state of your disc and one looks at what you occupy moreover. payment in point.

example of price: 0.10Euro /Go-mois i.e. that if you used 6Go instead of 5Go just during 1 hour it is an equivalent of 0.0014Go-month… the cloud what.

- traffic understood 50Go /mois
and
you can determine the traffic max which you do not want to exceed in the month (alias the size of the connection network of your cloud is bridled with X Mbps (X varies between 100Kbps and 1Gbps) but one does not speak about that, one speaks Go, i.e. fastening is intelligent and can change each hour according to what you asked AND if it is seen that you will exceed it… and thus will prevent that you exceed it…

example of price: 0.15Euro /Go of which you decided

- you have 36 months engagment alias 3 years. under these conditions one can propose there to you this concept with 2Euro HT/mois alias 72Euro for 3 years. and what you DECIDE to pay moreover it is moreover.

With you the mailing list…

zydron
07-06-2010, 08:00
And not forget, the price is 2 1/2 times higher than first announced
{local currency} 2,99 was first announced per month, and now it is {local currency} 7,20

elvis1
07-06-2010, 00:35
There's talks on the Cloud mailing list regarding a VPS service (Cloud = Utility computing, VPS = virtual server with fixed resources).

Many thanks Myatu. Fact is that OVh promises plenty of stuff ( take a lot to accomplish , changes things in the middel and to ad up most juicy stuff is in French ). What I mean is that at first they talked about a product that was like a VPS that now seems not to be available.

Best Regards

Myatu
06-06-2010, 02:51
There's talks on the Cloud mailing list regarding a VPS service (Cloud = Utility computing, VPS = virtual server with fixed resources).

elvis1
05-06-2010, 23:44
Quote Originally Posted by freshwire
Those who want fixed monthly are usually those who will want to use more than their fair share! Current pricing is best
thats stupid. I have had almost 8 VPS or so and I get what I pay for. what is the complication of having unmetered connections and set memory and disk limits? xen is your friend mate

zydron
05-06-2010, 11:15
indeed now we can create large clusters without the overhead we would have if we use traditional dedicated servers.

We can add and remove cloud VMs on the fly, and pay it per hour.

The only think I like to see is this:
Loadbalancing (with static IP for it).
Custom images.
Smarthost for mail.

With custom images we can create one image with our own software configuration.
for me it is apache or nginx as webserver and php as language + a custom file transit system (I call it: Remote File List Controller), so that all servers have the correct files.
Without this solution, I need to install every cloud VM manual, which could be a pain when you need to install a huge amount!

If this is possible, I will use this service for sure, because of the flexibility!

maybars
05-06-2010, 10:45
For the first time I would like to congratulate OVH with this hour based pricing. Because by this option it cares customers. Please be rational. From now on, we don't have to pay that we are not using.

freshwire
30-05-2010, 09:20
Quote Originally Posted by elvis1
when will you be able to have a FIXED monthly price? what would be the price for a 512 megs as the Mc and how much BW is included?
Those who want fixed monthly are usually those who will want to use more than their fair share! Current pricing is best

elvis1
30-05-2010, 02:24
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
For the Manager V5 see http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4103 we are almost there, I am not sure about re-downloading the keys though

Regarding the pricing the miniCloud which will be on the Kimsufi website will start at 1p an hour for 256mb of RAM and 5GB storage, so that would cost a maximum of £7.20 - still cheaper than a Kimsufi by quiet some way.

So no monthly pricing yet, but it maybe on the bigger cloud ranges.
when will you be able to have a FIXED monthly price? what would be the price for a 512 megs as the Mc and how much BW is included?

tallen
29-05-2010, 13:05
It's bad how they kill all the clouds, then expect us to accept a contract which is in French, they've not translated any of the managerv5.

You know, the majority of the people on the internet speak english. Why don't you just hire a translator for articles. I mean there's sites out there where you can get a human to translate your articles for very cheap.

It's ridiculous that a company like OVH still haven't sorted out translating news articles or the manager properly. I mean the grammar in most news releases is so bad, it doesn't even make sense.

MicroChip123
28-05-2010, 19:52
Uhm, this is all in € as well. So what now? EDIT: Scratch that, it won't even accept payment
Bye cloud.

I better do a backup of mine before ovh delete it.

Myatu
28-05-2010, 19:22
Uhm, this is all in € as well. So what now? EDIT: Scratch that, it won't even accept payment

Neil
28-05-2010, 14:31
Quote Originally Posted by tallen
Yeah the managerv5 badly needs translating and also it'd be nice if you could redownload SSH keys from the OVH site. Otherwise, accidentally delete it and there's no way you can access your server!

Also, is there actually going to be any monthly pricing models? Or is it all per hour?
For the Manager V5 see http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4103 we are almost there, I am not sure about re-downloading the keys though

Regarding the pricing the miniCloud which will be on the Kimsufi website will start at 1p an hour for 256mb of RAM and 5GB storage, so that would cost a maximum of £7.20 - still cheaper than a Kimsufi by quiet some way.

So no monthly pricing yet, but it maybe on the bigger cloud ranges.

tallen
28-05-2010, 13:59
Yeah the managerv5 badly needs translating and also it'd be nice if you could redownload SSH keys from the OVH site. Otherwise, accidentally delete it and there's no way you can access your server!

Also, is there actually going to be any monthly pricing models? Or is it all per hour?

MicroChip123
28-05-2010, 07:29
Cloud Computing result
Hello
Beta / gamma tests continue a few more hours.

To access the manager v5:
https: / / www.ovh.com/managerv5/

You can:
- "Start" your cloud
- "Stop it"
- Then "delete"
- You can also do "evolve" hot

In use, you have "current use.
This is the cost of all your Cloud "/ hour". Then
Consumption of the day "(from 0:00:00 to 11:59:59 p.m.)," Weekly "
(Sunday through Saturday 0:00:00 23:59:59) and
months.

Sequel:
---------

During the day, we will implement the contract
and activating prepaid account for the cloud. Those
who do not accept the contract will no longer
connect to the manager v5. Then at midnight to their
Cloud will be stopped (it will remove some
later). If you do not have the Cloud,
will be able to accept the contract.

Those who will accept the contract, it is estimated that
are interested in the Cloud at OVH. They may
continue the tests for free until Monday. The
limit of 5 will be released until Cloud Cloud 99.
We want to test the behavior of the manager with
Cloud and validate all of the new manager v5
simply. The last little bugs ... In
Basically, the gamma continues ...

In the day Monday, we will launch the site
Cloud Kimsufi.com and everyone can accept
Cloud the contract (which can use the account
"Prepaid" in Ovh for Cloud). Then start
play ...

Regards
Octave
The cloud v5 thing needs to be translated.

oles@ovh.net
28-05-2010, 05:24
Hello,

Beta / gamma tests continue a few more hours.

To access the manager v5:
https://www.ovh.com/managerv5/

You have the following possibilities:

- "Start" your cloud
- "Stop"
- then "remove"
- you can also do quick "evolves"

In usage, you have "current usage". This is the cost of all your Cloud "/hour". Then use "by day" (from 0:00:00 to 11:59:59 p.m.), "Weekly" (from Sunday to Saturday 0:00:00 23:59:59) and monthly.

Continued:
---------

During the day, we will implement the contract and activate the prepaid accounts for the cloud. Those who do not accept the contract can no longer connect to the manager v5. Then at midnight their Cloud will be stopped (it will be removed later). If you do not have the Cloud, you'll be able to accept the contract.

Those who will accept the contract, it is understood that they are interested in the OVH Cloud. They will continue testing for free until Monday. The limit of 5 Clouds will be increased to 99 Clouds. We want to test the behavior of the manager with Cloud and validate the new manager v5 simply. The last little bugs ... Basically, the gamma continues ...

On Monday, we will launch the Cloud site on Kimsufi.com and everyone can accept the Cloud contract (which will permit the use of the OVH "prepaid" account for the Cloud). Then start to play ...

All the best,
Octave