OVH Community, your new community space.

EG Best Of - Help, please!

LLM
01-06-2010, 01:21
Oh, I see. I'm all set now.

Thank you again!

Myatu
01-06-2010, 00:06
No, you're doing it correct. At that point, simply enter "/" as the mount point and use the remainder (739000). With Raid 0 (which you have already selected), this will automatically become 2x 739000 when you click the "Add the partition" button.

LLM
31-05-2010, 23:59
Thank you both, you're both being very helpful.

I seem to have come unglued, though. I've followed Myatu's instructions, and I'm here: http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2...00531at224.jpg

I still only seem to have the rest of the 750GB drive available, as I can only configure / for 739000. Am I doing something wrong?

stoner
31-05-2010, 23:24
lmao myatu u explained it much better than me though.. Glad to be able to help on something, so dont go stealing my thunder lmao

Myatu
31-05-2010, 22:49
The quickest method is to go to your OVH Manager and re-install Ubuntu 10.04...

Select the server, "Services" on the left hand side, "re-install / change OS".

When you come to the page asking for "Choose partition", select "Personalized layout of partitions" and use RAID.

You need at least a "/boot" partition (mountpoint "/boot"). OVH expects that to be a RAID 1 partition (which means the same partition is mirrored/backed up on the 2nd HD). If you make this partition about 5 GB (5000 MB), in many cases this should be sufficient.

Then the 2nd partition you configure is swap space (partition type: "Logic", Mountpoint: "swap"). A general rule of tumb is that this is 1.5x the amount of RAM you have. However, since you have two HDs, you divide that value in half (as this will be spread evenly between the two HDs). So say you have 8 GB RAM, the suggested size would be 12 GB. But you enter 6 GB (6000 MB). In actuallity, the 1.5x rule is based on "hey-day" models, so you could surely do with less than that. Let's say 0.5x as a minimum (so 8 GB RAM = 4 GB swap = specify 2 GB [2000 MB] in the OVH manager).

The remainder of the space you can use as the root mount point (mountpoint "/"). Now the point here is that instead of RAID 1 (a mirrored copy on the 2nd HD) you use RAID 0 (both HDs seen as one big HD).

Verify that everything is according to your wishes (if in doubt, you could even show us a screenshot of your final partition settings) and click "Launch installation" and wait for it to finish (you'll receive an e-mail with the new password).

Hopefully this will help.

PS: Creds to stoner - didn't see his response at the time...

stoner
31-05-2010, 22:16
U need to reformat it using the ovh manager.. From there u will get the option to select ur own partitions.. Do /boot as raid 1 as it has to be (about 5 -10gb) should be enough then 2gb as swap and the rest as raid 0 and u will have about 1.2tb for space left

LLM
31-05-2010, 21:59
Hi,

Please excuse me for sounding dumb, but I'm very new to all of this server stuff!

I recently leased one of these servers on the basis of it having two 750GB. To make it affordable, I will share it with another person.

So, I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this - how can I configure the server to use both drives? I am not concerned with the redundancy of RAID as these files will change regularly and will be 'backed up' locally.

I have tried to use the OVH Manager but I cannot see how to do it.

So, in summary:

• How can I use both drives on an EG Best Of server?
  • Will the drives appear to Ubuntu 10.04 as 'one big drive', or would I need to assign one user to each drive? If so, how?

Thank you for the help!