OVH Community, your new community space.

IP's and Custom Partitioning

tim2718281
12-06-2010, 15:00
Quote Originally Posted by marks
I find interesting what you're trying to do, though I don't see the reason why you would like the OS in the SATA. What are the advantages of this setup for you?
Generally, the reason one wants SSDs is to provide fast access to frequently-read data.

Because SSD space is more expensive than rotating disk space, then usually the amount of SSD space is a fraction of the amount of rotating disk space. And so one may not want to use up SSD space on data accessed infrequently, such as the operating system.

I'm asking so because if the option to get the OS installed in other drives must be give, it'll have to be developed.
I'd have thought OVH already had a method of installing the OS on the rotating drives; after all, OVH offers rotating-drive-only systems. Isn't it possible to offer the same OS installation process for hybrids as for rotating-disk-only systems, and leave the SSDs alone for the customer to set up after the OS is installed on the rotating disks? (And similarly, to offer the same OS installation process as for SSD-only systems, and leave the customer to set up the rotating disks after the OS is installed on the SSDs.)

Winit
07-06-2010, 21:52
Install using rescue-pro.

Speedy059
07-06-2010, 10:10
The previous customers already know this, so this is for the new ones.

OVH provides unmanaged servers and delivers the server with the OS of the customer's choice installed.

That is with only a few modifications form the original and Speedy059 is right, there is no option of choosing where to install it when you have 4 drives.

I must say that, so far, that wasn't a problem at all as our servers come only with 1 or 2 drives. It's only for the Hybrid range that it could be a possibility. Right now, the OS is installed in the SSD drives in RAID 1, and access is given to the SATA drives in RAID 1 too.

I find interesting what you're trying to do, though I don't see the reason why you would like the OS in the SATA. What are the advantages of this setup for you? I'm asking so because if the option to get the OS installed in other drives must be give, it'll have to be developed.

Installation options can be huge and OVH offers free and unattended installations (you can install your server at any time you want through the manager). To offer this functionality we necessarily have to limit the option, though we are open to consider extra functionality in the installation process.

All feedback will be appreciated.
You guys will see a growing trend of people complaing about not being able to install the OS on their preferred hard drives. I have quite a few reasons why I want the SSD's untouched by the OS, it has mainly to do with our services we offer to our clients and will only work if we can get the OS on to the sata's and not the SSD's. I would rather talk privately as to why exactly, but there should be other clients wondering why they can't install on other hard drives. Should be something that is developed since you guys have servers with more than 2 hard drives now.

marks
07-06-2010, 09:59
The previous customers already know this, so this is for the new ones.

OVH provides unmanaged servers and delivers the server with the OS of the customer's choice installed.

That is with only a few modifications form the original and Speedy059 is right, there is no option of choosing where to install it when you have 4 drives.

I must say that, so far, that wasn't a problem at all as our servers come only with 1 or 2 drives. It's only for the Hybrid range that it could be a possibility. Right now, the OS is installed in the SSD drives in RAID 1, and access is given to the SATA drives in RAID 1 too.

I find interesting what you're trying to do, though I don't see the reason why you would like the OS in the SATA. What are the advantages of this setup for you? I'm asking so because if the option to get the OS installed in other drives must be give, it'll have to be developed.

Installation options can be huge and OVH offers free and unattended installations (you can install your server at any time you want through the manager). To offer this functionality we necessarily have to limit the option, though we are open to consider extra functionality in the installation process.

All feedback will be appreciated.

freshwire
06-06-2010, 16:32
Quote Originally Posted by Speedy059
This is completely ridiculous that you have to do all this work to get the OS installed on the hard drives YOU want it installed on. I've have never be part of a datacenter that told me I have to use these hard drives for the OS, and these for whatever. Normally I get to choose how I want it, any professional would want to setup their server how they want it. It seems like 1 size fits all approach is being forced on me. I'm currently with 5 other datacenters, and OVH being the first to tell me how to setup my OS.
For most OS you can manually install it as you want. There are tutorials for ubuntu and debian but it should really be possible for all OS.. just some will be more difficult than others.

Razakel
06-06-2010, 13:57
Their prices aren't to far off from other companies. There are companies in Europe and USA who do these prices, and some other will even price match them.
I've not seen any European firms with prices even close to OVH's, aside from one other French firm that only sells to France. Though I suppose Hetzner does come close...

Speedy059
06-06-2010, 05:08
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Well, admittedly you came to the Walmart of hosting, not Macy's.
Their prices aren't to far off from other companies. There are companies in Europe and USA who do these prices, and some other will even price match them.

Myatu
06-06-2010, 02:47
Well, admittedly you came to the Walmart of hosting, not Macy's.

zydron
06-06-2010, 00:32
Maybe because it is an DEDICATED SERVER, not your own server.

that OVH uses her own datacentre is out of the question.
it provides you with a server, and that server is automaticly installed by OVHs system.

If that system is programmed to install it on the first hdd, you can't do a thing!

Speedy059
05-06-2010, 23:59
This is completely ridiculous that you have to do all this work to get the OS installed on the hard drives YOU want it installed on. I've have never be part of a datacenter that told me I have to use these hard drives for the OS, and these for whatever. Normally I get to choose how I want it, any professional would want to setup their server how they want it. It seems like 1 size fits all approach is being forced on me. I'm currently with 5 other datacenters, and OVH being the first to tell me how to setup my OS.

Razakel
05-06-2010, 20:12
The thing is...I don't want anything on the 2xSSd's that relate the OS/swap/boot. So it's possible to use "Rescue Mode" to move things to the other HD's? How can I get into rescue mode without the CentOS CD and KVM?
There's a few threads on installing custom OSes in the How-To forum.

CentOS: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3073
Ubuntu: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3787
Debian: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3011

You can get into rescue mode by clicking on Netboot in the manager and setting it to rescue mode, then doing a hard reboot. It usually takes a while for the email to come through with password info, though.

Doesn't look like it, but would OVH consider ever allowing you to cancel a server for credit towards a new server?
OVH does have quite an annoying habit of changing things without much, or any, notice.

Myatu
05-06-2010, 19:03
Quote Originally Posted by zydron
I don't know how it is done in the UK
He likely ordered from Ireland. Not sure about their laws regarding this...

Myatu
05-06-2010, 19:02
Not sure if you can keep the SSDs completely empty, surely the BIOS boot order would prevent that. But you can keep the /boot partition fairly small (say 5 GB or even less) so it won't take up massive amounts of space (and give server bootup times a little boost).

As for Rescue mode, you enter the OVH manager, select your dedicated server and under services you can change the "Netboot" option. By default it's set to "HDD" but you can select one of OVH's most recent kernels, a virtual KVM or Rescue Mode.

A word of advice on the vKVM: It's in a virtualised environment, which means it does not use your server's actual hardware with the exception of access to the HDD content. So if you were to install an OS like Windows through it, on a subsequent "normal" reboot (from the HDD instead of vKVM) the hardware has changed and may stop the OS from operating properly. Another tip: Make sure to check the "64-bit" box if your installed OS 64-bits (likely so).

And in regards to the credit/upgrade, it never hurts to ask

zydron
05-06-2010, 18:56
I don't know how it is done in the UK

but in the netherlands we have a law (Remote Order, without face to face thingy).
you can cancel an order, until 3 months after purchase (if not mentioned, else 7 days to 3 months)

Speedy059
05-06-2010, 18:06
Did you get an SP-series? On the website it states: "Maximum limit of 32 IPs per server on a 100 Mbps port" in the "Professional Use" options section.
Yep, I see it now. Do not remember seeing that before. I wish in the presales they would of mentioned that.

Doesn't look like it, but would OVH consider ever allowing you to cancel a server for credit towards a new server?

Speedy059
05-06-2010, 17:49
Did you get an SP-series? On the website it states: "Maximum limit of 32 IPs per server on a 100 Mbps port" in the "Professional Use" options section.

As for partitioning, just drop the "/boot" on the SSDs (will be RAID 1 regardless) and the rest you can put on "/". Then in Rescue mode, you move the "/" partition to the HDDs after you've done. Then use a different mount point for the SSDs (which you can return to RAID 0). But as Zydron mentioned, this is a customer specific thing so you're at your own with this.
The thing is...I don't want anything on the 2xSSd's that relate the OS/swap/boot. So it's possible to use "Rescue Mode" to move things to the other HD's? How can I get into rescue mode without the CentOS CD and KVM?

Myatu
05-06-2010, 16:16
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
Admittedly, they have only just changed this.
It is (and one not mentioned in the forums here by staff, AFAICR). So it pays to re-read things before placing an order, to make sure nothing has changed since last time you've read it...

However, there are also a number of inaccuracies on the website... Not sure when the non-French sites are updated like France, but it would pay to go over the text and the fees.

For instance, the e-mail plans - there's no one-time setup fee as shown, at least I wasn't charged such; "points" for the cloud are your loyalty points that accumulate with any type of order (I wasn't aware of this and bought some, but that to the benefit of others I guess ).

These are minor issues that can have a big impact (in other words: loss of sales).

Razakel
05-06-2010, 14:55
Admittedly, they have only just changed this.

Myatu
05-06-2010, 13:29

As for partitioning, just drop the "/boot" on the SSDs (will be RAID 1 regardless) and the rest you can put on "/". Then in Rescue mode, you move the "/" partition to the HDDs after you've done. Then use a different mount point for the SSDs (which you can return to RAID 0). But as Zydron mentioned, this is a customer specific thing so you're at your own with this.

zydron
05-06-2010, 09:56
unmanaged means that you are in charge for updating/administrating the server, not OVH.

about the OS installation place, I have no idea (I only use 1 disk servers).

Speedy059
05-06-2010, 00:11
I just got my first server with OVH, and for some reason the largest block of IP's I can order is a /27 block. On their website it clearly says I can order a /24 block. How they say I can only order a /27 block, is this true? Why wasn't I told during all my pre-sale questions?

Custom Partitioning:
My server came with 2x80GB SSD, and 2x750GB SSD's. The server is setup to have Raid 1 for the 2x80GB SSD, and Raid 1 2x750GB...the OS being installed on the 2x80GB. The problem is that I want to change how this is done. I want to install the OS on the 2x750GB hard drives, and leave the extra 2x80GB SSD's out of a raid and just have them as spare hard drives. How can I do this in the OVH Manager? The OVH Manager assists on installing the OS on the 80GB SSD(s). When I tried to contact OVH, they just told me the servers are unmanaged. Obviously it must be possible to change where the OS is installed by their reply, but how can I do this?