OVH Community, your new community space.

From 20-40Mbps to 0Mbps????

Myatu
20-06-2010, 19:08
Quote Originally Posted by Speedy059
In a business you can't simply listen to your clients complain and then lose them. You have to act on it. So I'm not sure what you are meaning by that.
Sorry, the "Oops, you did it again" was in to this post: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30096#post30055

Speedy059
19-06-2010, 21:01
This issue is still going on after more the a week of bringing it to their attention. Will they offer a refund so I can reorder a server in hopes it'll be on a different network segment so it'll work better. Can't do much with this server if it can't be stable after 5-10Mbps.

Speedy059
17-06-2010, 01:23
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Oops, you did it again...
In a business you can't simply listen to your clients complain and then lose them. You have to act on it. So I'm not sure what you are meaning by that. I'm not complaining here, but in a ticket with OVH to fix it. Here on this forum I'm merely asking for suggestions. For almost 2 weeks this server has been nearly unusable.

Myatu
16-06-2010, 19:03
Quote Originally Posted by Speedy059
They are all complaining ...
Oops, you did it again...

Speedy059
15-06-2010, 23:32
Quote Originally Posted by marks
to put things with the right wording: torrent as a protocol is not forbidden. But distributing illicit content through torrent or any other mean is forbidden.

And no, it looks to me that it's more likely to be something to do with the route of the packets.

Now, I'm aware that the Irish team has asked you some traceroutes from the route this download is going through. They'll have a look. Now that OVH's starting to be opened to North American customers, any issue with the bandwidth has to be looked into.
The thing is that we aren't using this server for North American clientele, it's for our European VPS clients who live in Europe. They are all complaining of outages and can not download/upload anything without the server cutting out. They are having a very difficult time uploading their web content, or anything else they are needing.

The tracert looks fine since that doesn't produce any traffic. The issues is when you try to push 1-8Mbps of traffic it just crawls to a halt. If a tracert would cause 8Mbps of traffic, then it would easily show the issue. Unfortunately that isn't the case.

Our first and foremost concern are our European clients, we don't care about the routing to America as we don't need that. If our clients need to send data to/from America, then they can use our North American servers that we have scattered all over.

Speedy059
15-06-2010, 23:30
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
P2P / torrents are not forbidden, but the abuse of network services is. In Speedy059's case, I'm thinking along the lines of what Andy had said: a faulty driver/kernel or hardware. For example, a certain CentOS kernel was wreaking havoc with bad packets (and thus reducing throughput), which had been fixed in a subsequent kernel update.
It's not drivers, as I would have seen an issue with that firstly. The internal network of OVH can push the server to nearly 800Mbps. It's just that everything out/in is bad.

marks
15-06-2010, 18:24
to put things with the right wording: torrent as a protocol is not forbidden. But distributing illicit content through torrent or any other mean is forbidden.

And no, it looks to me that it's more likely to be something to do with the route of the packets.

Now, I'm aware that the Irish team has asked you some traceroutes from the route this download is going through. They'll have a look. Now that OVH's starting to be opened to North American customers, any issue with the bandwidth has to be looked into.

Myatu
15-06-2010, 18:05
P2P / torrents are not forbidden, but the abuse of network services is. In Speedy059's case, I'm thinking along the lines of what Andy had said: a faulty driver/kernel or hardware. For example, a certain CentOS kernel was wreaking havoc with bad packets (and thus reducing throughput), which had been fixed in a subsequent kernel update.

zydron
15-06-2010, 16:28
The use of p2p programs are forbidden at OVH...

Speedy059
15-06-2010, 13:20
Must have a client on the same switch as me trying to upload/download as many torrents as possible.

marks
15-06-2010, 11:11
If it could be something to do with the server, you would get help from the community with things like Andy said, which most of the cases are very helpful. For these sort of things, the forum is a great tool.

But if you think it's something to do with OVH network that must be looked at, you'll only get that from the IE customer support, in your case.

Speedy059
14-06-2010, 21:03
I have contacted the Irish team, just wanting to know anyone's input in case they say I have to figure it out. Bandwidth test outside of the network are unable to go past 4Mbps. OVH Internal network was pushing AVG 500Mbits, so I don't think it's a driver issue as the capability is there, it just can't do it. We are losing a lot of our European clientele because of this.

marks
14-06-2010, 16:46
if you're looking for support from the community, that's fine, but to get support from OVH, you must go to the Irish team.

I'm aware that they know about your situation and you're checking the issue by email.

Andy
14-06-2010, 13:29
I would suggest a bad network driver. Can you try updating it? Otherwise it could be a hardware fault.

Speedy059
14-06-2010, 12:54
Actually, I'm looking at the graphs. When our server gets to 3-8Mbps, it cuts off and loses connectivity....

Speedy059
14-06-2010, 12:50
This is our first server, and i'm questioning the network that our server is on. The server has 10TB Of allocated bandwidth, but that server will be lucky to push 200-500GB/mo. Every time the server starts to use bandwidth, it quickly loses connection. Is this some kind of rogue QOS they have on their network settings?