OVH Community, your new community space.

10.04 LTS server?

froonylose
12-07-2010, 11:35
10.04 LTS server giving new and upgrading users an extended range of applications that can be easily installed at launch, 10.04 exists in both desktop and server form. I think that 10.04 LTS (Long Term Support) may be a good choice.

melat0nin
18-06-2010, 10:46
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Theoretically yes, but we think you will need to run 1 or 2 commands in SSH but we need to test it first. Maybe none at all
Cool no problem, I am comfortable with the terminal

Neil
18-06-2010, 10:44
Quote Originally Posted by melat0nin
Thanks

Once the kernel is available, does that mean an upgrade to 10.04 can be done without any trouble? Presumably there's no need to wait for the build to be release?
Theoretically yes, but we think you will need to run 1 or 2 commands in SSH but we need to test it first. Maybe none at all

melat0nin
17-06-2010, 18:58
You could, but an RPS with a custom kernel is not very good because it has to load it from the SAN. Which takes along time, maybe 30 minutes before the server will boot.

The OVH Kernel, bring security and drivers mainly, but you can compile your own with our config file, ftp://ftp.ovh.net/made-in-ovh/bzImage/2.6.34-2/

The kernels should be live in the next 48 hours, which then should allow you to upgrade from 9.04, 9.10 to 10.04 - but we need to check first, you might need to run 1 or 2 commands.

A new build of 10.04 for the RPS is probably a few months away...
Thanks

Once the kernel is available, does that mean an upgrade to 10.04 can be done without any trouble? Presumably there's no need to wait for the build to be release?

Neil
17-06-2010, 17:47
You could, but an RPS with a custom kernel is not very good because it has to load it from the SAN. Which takes along time, maybe 30 minutes before the server will boot.

The OVH Kernel, bring security and drivers mainly, but you can compile your own with our config file, ftp://ftp.ovh.net/made-in-ovh/bzImage/2.6.34-2/

The kernels should be live in the next 48 hours, which then should allow you to upgrade from 9.04, 9.10 to 10.04 - but we need to check first, you might need to run 1 or 2 commands.

A new build of 10.04 for the RPS is probably a few months away...

melat0nin
17-06-2010, 16:53
Hi

Before we can support the RPS we need to fix a kernel issue first http://status.ovh.net/?do=details&id=43 - once this is fixed we can then deploy Ubuntu for Dedicated Server, and then for RPS. Unfortunately I cannot give a date for the OS on the RPS, but once you see it on Dedicated Servers you will know it is close.
Is it possible to upgrade without using the OVH kernel? What benefits does the OVH kernel bring?

Also, why do we need Plymouth on servers? They are headless by default, so where's the need for boot splash packages?

Can you give a rough indication as to when it will be available (days/weeks/months)?

Thanks

Neil
17-06-2010, 16:46
Hi

Before we can support the RPS we need to fix a kernel issue first http://status.ovh.net/?do=details&id=43 - once this is fixed we can then deploy Ubuntu for Dedicated Server, and then for RPS. Unfortunately I cannot give a date for the OS on the RPS, but once you see it on Dedicated Servers you will know it is close.

melat0nin
17-06-2010, 16:17
Hi all

When will 10.04 LTS server be available on RPSs? I am creating a site for my company and it would be good to have a 3-year supported OS on it. 8.04 is a bit old now for up-to-date packages, and 9.04 will stop being supported in October.

Any ideas? Is it feasible/easy to upgrade from 9.04 (which I have installed just now) to 10.04? I read something on the French OVH forum about installing the iscsi packages.

Any tips much appreciated