OVH Community, your new community space.

What percentage of OVH is BitTorrent?

Thelen
15-07-2010, 09:59
dedibox.fr runs a similar idea to OVH.fr

They assume the users will use mainly internal traffic (which costs them jack all compared to international), hence why they offer Gbit unlimited and the like.

Even if french (regardless of which host) torrent, they are probably doing most of the traffic inside EU, which again is cheap.

Iray
14-07-2010, 23:04
Woooh their! Be careful now! Otherwise America will come and carpetbomb you with Freedom and Democrazy.

tim2718281
14-07-2010, 22:20
Quote Originally Posted by stoner
IWithout DMCA notices for the server in question I can see no reason why OVH would have the right to enter a server to "spy"
DMCA gives service providers no protection outside the USA, so there is no reason why service providers outside the USA should follow the DMCA procedures - doing so only gives them protection in the USA.

marks
13-07-2010, 16:54
So Marks are you saying that only the UK customers use any of your servers for illegal content.
the problem is mainly outside France, that's one of the reasons why the plans are different in France. It's just different markets, or different types of customers in different countries.

stoner
13-07-2010, 16:44
Quote Originally Posted by marks
we have a problem with customers doing that, and we're aware of it. At the moment, we act on the ones we receive proofs for.

In any case, that's a problem in the UK, and right now we're a bit less than 4% of the servers that OVH has.

So Marks are you saying that only the UK customers use any of your servers for illegal content.

Thelen
11-07-2010, 14:59
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
We complain because they suck up the bandwidth for legitimate people. While it may be OVH's problem, it shouldn't be. Torrents are a real resource hog as they take up so many connections. They suck up router CPU and as a result the legitimate connections slow down. The network is designed for web hosting and file hosting, not torrent p2p sharing which uses a lot more resources.
TBH, "legitimate" people don't pay $60 a month for their web hosting.. They pay many hundreds, and they get reliability. If you are outside of EU and trying to host on OVH, or any EU really, mega phail...

Oh and Lemon, I have about 50/50 C5G and EGBof with misc others.

_Lemon_
01-07-2010, 16:14
Quote Originally Posted by marks
good maths

May I ask approximately what distribution do people purchase the servers in? Is it anything like my account? (mj43227-ovh) Mostly, C-05G, a lot of EG BestOF and a few HG servers?

freshwire
30-06-2010, 00:58
I will rent another 3000 and then I will rent half the UK servers

marks
29-06-2010, 13:51
good maths

_Lemon_
29-06-2010, 13:17
Only 4%?

A recent figure gave OVH around 70,000 servers at the start of the year. That means there is approximately 3k servers served by the UK subsidiary...

marks
29-06-2010, 11:16
What percentage of OVH's bandwidth uses the BitTorrent protocol?
we have a problem with customers doing that, and we're aware of it. At the moment, we act on the ones we receive proofs for.

In any case, that's a problem in the UK, and right now we're a bit less than 4% of the servers that OVH has.

Oles report a year or so ago indicated 20% if I remember rightly.
that would have referred to the UK, and right now, it's much lower. Therefore, the percentage of the whole datacentre is much much (much much) lower than that: 20% of 4%

stoner
29-06-2010, 07:48
I fully agree makno.. I dont want OVH to go trawling through servers and i'm sure without proper reason its not just a breech of there contract but also privacy laws aswell. I have had OVH accuse me of illegal content simply on the assumption utorrent was running on my server (funny thing is, it was rtorrent running on it) Without DMCA notices for the server in question I can see no reason why OVH would have the right to enter a server to "spy"

makno
29-06-2010, 00:29
Quote Originally Posted by stoner
Some funny threads about torrents popping up on here. Just trying to get my head around why people would attack (hmm maybe a bit to strong a word) some1 just talking about them, when there is clearly people in this forum that rent servers to sell out as seedboxes and even advertise the fact in there sigs. Now thats just plain silly. Why dont OVH go after them people to begin with?
i think the whole point in renting a dedicated/unmanaged server is that you use it for what you want. Offcourse if what you do is against the law than that's a different matter but until you are proven guilty you should be considered innocent. would it be right for ovh to search all servers and go through all datas to check if you run a seedbox? i think that would be a breach of the terms of contract (if i rent a house from you it doesn't mean that you can come in any time without warning). On the other hand the distribution of copyrighted material is in violation of the terms of service and as andy/marks stated people should report them but unless those renting out seedboxes are reported for such activity i don't see the point for ovh to go after them.

stoner
28-06-2010, 22:48
Some funny threads about torrents popping up on here. Just trying to get my head around why people would attack (hmm maybe a bit to strong a word) some1 just talking about them, when there is clearly people in this forum that rent servers to sell out as seedboxes and even advertise the fact in there sigs. Now thats just plain silly. Why dont OVH go after them people to begin with?

NickW
28-06-2010, 20:56
Quote Originally Posted by Speedy059
Ah ok, so you just like to hang out on a server providers forums that you have no affiliation with and talk about torrents.
I'm discussing torrents because that's the subject of the thread .

Speedy059
28-06-2010, 19:13
Ah ok, so you just like to hang out on a server providers forums that you have no affiliation with and talk about torrents.

NickW
28-06-2010, 17:17
Quote Originally Posted by Speedy059
Ya...I would go ahead and check NickW servers for illegal torrents.... Private or Public, still illegal.
I never said otherwise. The difference between private and public is the number of connections, not legality. I have never and will never imply this . However there is absolutely no evidence that I transfer copyrighted material with an OVH server or that I even rent one.

I do not like your accusations.

Speedy059
28-06-2010, 16:51
Ya...I would go ahead and check NickW servers for illegal torrents.... Private or Public, still illegal.

NickW
28-06-2010, 13:22
Totally depends on how many peers or seeds the torrent has and how many torrents the user runs at once. My server gets about 40 connections/sec, a single torrent might get 400+ connections/sec, multiply that by 10 active torrents and there is 4000+ connections. Each connection uses CPU on the routers and leaves one less connection for legitimate website traffic.
Public trackers, yes. Private trackers, no. Seedboxes are used the majority of the time for private trackers as it's the the best way to compete with the other users for ratio. Torrents are sat idle 95%+ of the time on private trackers because of the high number of seeds compared to people downloading a particular torrent (usually nobody). And a fair proportion of the other seeds will be seedboxes anyway so as soon as there is peer downloading a particular torrent, boom it's finished in minutes because their connection is most definitely maxed out. Other seedbox or home connection.

Here's a quick example. I currently have close to 600 torrents seeding on by box. Only 13 of them are connected to peers and 1 peer each. That's 13 open connections. Of that only 1 of them is actually uploading any data and it's doing around 150KB/s. You telling I'm putting more strain on the network than an active web server?

Torrents are probably part of the reason some connections within OVH and outgoing to the Internet as so slow at times. I wouldn't want to ban torrents, but they are causing an issue for sure.
I wouldn't deny it's probably part of the reason.

One of the reasons OVH put in a £50 setup fee was partly due to torrents and trying to stop people using them as fly-by-night seedboxes.
I 100% agree. Though I'm sure the fly-by-night email spammers were a bigger target considering they get IP addresses blacklisted too.

Remember people, if you find a seedbox in a peers list, you can report it to ovh's abuse address, abuse@ovh.net. And yes, I know that's being hypocritical because you're downloading the torrent yourself - I don't care
Naturally .

marks
28-06-2010, 11:47
Remember people, if you find a seedbox in a peers list, you can report it to ovh's abuse address, abuse@ovh.co.uk.
The email address is: abuse@ovh.net

yes, report any server you've got proofs for it has copyrighted material. We can't do anything against the server without proofs that there is something in it.

Andy
28-06-2010, 08:53
Quote Originally Posted by NickW
No more connections than a web server.

With seedboxes, the upload to other seedboxes is over in a flash. The longer connections to home users are still doing hundreds of KB/s anyway, so not much different to a web download.
Totally depends on how many peers or seeds the torrent has and how many torrents the user runs at once. My server gets about 40 connections/sec, a single torrent might get 400+ connections/sec, multiply that by 10 active torrents and there is 4000+ connections. Each connection uses CPU on the routers and leaves one less connection for legitimate website traffic.

Torrents are probably part of the reason some connections within OVH and outgoing to the Internet as so slow at times. I wouldn't want to ban torrents, but they are causing an issue for sure.

One of the reasons OVH put in a £50 setup fee was partly due to torrents and trying to stop people using them as fly-by-night seedboxes.

Remember people, if you find a seedbox in a peers list, you can report it to ovh's abuse address, abuse@ovh.net. And yes, I know that's being hypocritical because you're downloading the torrent yourself - I don't care

Speedy059
28-06-2010, 02:24
Sigh...I wish they would just ban the bit torrent announcers. BUAHAHHAHHA

NickW
28-06-2010, 01:44
We complain because they suck up the bandwidth for legitimate people. While it may be OVH's problem, it shouldn't be. Torrents are a real resource hog as they take up so many connections. They suck up router CPU and as a result the legitimate connections slow down. The network is designed for web hosting and file hosting, not torrent p2p sharing which uses a lot more resources.
No more connections than a web server.

With seedboxes, the upload to other seedboxes is over in a flash. The longer connections to home users are still doing hundreds of KB/s anyway, so not much different to a web download.

Andy
27-06-2010, 23:37

NickW
27-06-2010, 18:59
Some of you just don't get it do you. It's our concern because it's people like that who degrade the network for everyone else. That's why we're moaning about it.
People pay for access to the network and they use it. What is thgere to complain about. It's more OVH's fault/problem if they can't handle the traffic.

Andy
27-06-2010, 14:24
Some of you just don't get it do you. It's our concern because it's people like that who degrade the network for everyone else. That's why we're moaning about it.

*Mikee*
27-06-2010, 14:11
I total agree with tim! I'm fed up with others coming on here moaning about other people's doings
Quote Originally Posted by tim2718281
But why would anyone care what other OVH customers are doing with the service they are paying for?

What matters is whether you are getting the service you are paying for. It makes no difference to you whether another customer's 30mbps traffic is BitTorrent or streaming videos or whatever.

tim2718281
26-06-2010, 23:46
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
Bring on the Deep Packet Inspection Technology!!
But why would anyone care what other OVH customers are doing with the service they are paying for?

What matters is whether you are getting the service you are paying for. It makes no difference to you whether another customer's 30mbps traffic is BitTorrent or streaming videos or whatever.

rickyday
25-06-2010, 18:16
Bring on the Deep Packet Inspection Technology!!

Winit
21-06-2010, 21:35
Unable to use DPI, next!

RapidSeeds
20-06-2010, 13:00
and most bittorrent clients accept encrypted connections by default
20% unencrypted.. .

encrypted bittorrent must be huge. interesting.

Andy
20-06-2010, 12:24
I understand what you mean but you still can't distinguish what is and what isn't torrent traffic. The server in question could be doing lots of encrypted data transfers which includes HTTP, FTP and BitTorrent.

Either way it's hard to correctly throttle or ban BitTorrent without the risk of interfering with other protocols.

Thelen
20-06-2010, 12:23
That is true. It would be impossible to tell how much there really is.
What, so normal web servers have thousands of encrypted connections to completely random places on the internet, pushing tens of thousands of packets per second?

OK then....

Read http://books.google.com.au/books?id=...page&q&f=false it will explain how it is really easy to work out what sort of traffic is what.

Andy
20-06-2010, 11:56
That is true. It would be impossible to tell how much there really is.

Winit
20-06-2010, 11:43
Unencrypted... :P

_Lemon_
20-06-2010, 02:23
If even 50% of the current BitTorrent traffic on OVH did move away, wouldn't that just leave OVH's transit connections even more overloaded? Thereby damaging it for all who's left on OVH?

That's assuming the 50% that moved wants to talk to the other 50% still.

Andy
19-06-2010, 23:19

zydron
19-06-2010, 23:05
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpeeds
Try 60%+

Why you think it's free internal traffic between ovh/kimsufi servers - it's definitely not because websites are sending data to each other..
because ovh only needs to pay traffic if it goes over the border
thats why internal and ingoing traffic is free

Winit
19-06-2010, 20:14
75%+ of traffic.

RapidSpeeds
19-06-2010, 19:51
Try 60%+

Why you think it's free internal traffic between ovh/kimsufi servers - it's definitely not because websites are sending data to each other..

collard41
19-06-2010, 19:27
haha.

I can imagine about 30% of the network must be for bittorrent.

RapidSpeeds
19-06-2010, 19:25
mate, you are having a giraffe?

RapidSeeds
19-06-2010, 19:03
What percentage of OVH's bandwidth uses the BitTorrent protocol?