OVH Community, your new community space.

Personal VLAN?

Thelen
05-08-2010, 01:38
250 VPS orders a month?

PM me your site, that seems an extremely high amount, I don't know even if OVH sell that many lol.

Speedy059
06-07-2010, 02:40
Selling VM's on OVH servers is possible, however you can't put servers in a cluster under a vlan. You have to buy a normal server, and then buy a smaller block of IP's to be assigned to that server.

With emerging technologies like VPS's (Probably considered "emerging" 5 years ago) I'm shocked that their vlan/vrack doesn't fully support this. If more people would ask about this, I'm sure they can fix it.

Myatu
05-07-2010, 13:58
David,

After 3 years in business, you should know better. You can't assume that all data centers around the world are the same. You're making the case harder for yourself with your unwillingness to put in any effort to make changes on your end -- even after giving pointers how to -- simply because of your assumption that "everything must be the same". The fact that there are numerous other clients with OVH who have no trouble selling VPS/VM services seems to underscore this. So to make your own errors appear as OVH's fault is, in my opinion, audacious.

PS: This is the forum for UK customers. US customers are to use the Irish forum.

Speedy059
05-07-2010, 04:24
Myatu, I suggest you staying out of my threads if you are going to have the audacity to say my issues as "user error". We have deployed hundreds of servers and thousands of VPS's to understand how things need, and should, need to work in a network with a cluster of servers. I have been trying to get things fixed for almost a month with these people and I'm way to frustrated to have someone give me their opinion.

First of all, their VRACK/VLAN are not like the traditional VLAN's that other datacenters offer. We sell hundreds of openvz VPS's each month, and the IP's are added automatically as a venet in the VM's. However, with OVH vlans, you can't simply add IP's as you normally do. In fact, I'm not sure if the IP's will even work on openvz vm's unless you put them in bridge mode with eth0. And having to manually do that with hundreds of VPS's monthly is impractical. I feel like I was lied to and spent nearly $1000USD in the last month with these people getting the servers and vrack and IP's setup. Only to find out that their vrack/vlan is not capable of offering support for such appliances. This is the first time I've ran into a DC with such a weird setup for a vlan and then to offer it as a "professional" service. What-a-joke.

The only way you can offer traditional VM's here in OVH is to have your IP's directly assigned to your servers, and not to a vlan/vrack here at OVH.

Myatu
04-07-2010, 23:15
Not sure if "user error" falls under an SLA, regardless of the ticket status. The Irish don't have a 24-hour number either, unlike us

Can't you put the server in rescue mode and redo the IP configuration?

Andy
04-07-2010, 22:58
I suggest you ask for a refund on the basis of downtime and no support breaking the SLA agreement.

Speedy059
04-07-2010, 21:59
Quote Originally Posted by NickW
The support staff don't.

Your servers are only allowed to break Mon-Fri 9am-5pm.
I guess your right, made a ticket Friday night with "Critical status" since everything is offline due to IP's being assigned incorrectly....still no reply. Have had about 100+ hours of downtime this week, even if their staff is active they still don't reply.

NickW
03-07-2010, 15:18
The support staff don't.

Your servers are only allowed to break Mon-Fri 9am-5pm.

Speedy059
03-07-2010, 15:01
Also, does OVH work on the weekends?

I should of got with hetzner.de as they currently have better deals

Speedy059
03-07-2010, 02:23
Sure someone here has used a vrack/vlan for servers to use for virtualization. Not everyone uses this place for torrents right? I can't seem to get an answer from any of OVh staff about whether their vlan/vrack supports virtualization containers.

Speedy059
03-07-2010, 00:56
I'm getting fed up with all this downtime, I wish they would just listen and reassign my /24 to our 1 server. I give up on this vrack as it's not ready for professional use involving hundreds/thousands of vlans. Having to manually configure each VM via command line to work with their 1 IP is very impractical and something I don't want to touch with a 10ft pole.

Speedy059
03-07-2010, 00:49
When an IP is assigned to a VM, it is given venet0:# for the IP. This is performed everytime the VM is rebooted or when it's created. We can't make manual configuratinos to each VM since we have to many coming in-n-out to do manual configurations. Why doesn't OVH vlans work like normal vlans? I don't understand why all these custom configurations are needed on servers in order for them to work. I regret for even messing with this as it has been a complete disaster.

Speedy059
03-07-2010, 00:17
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
I haven't used OVH's Vrack, but I think that instead of a venet device, you use a veth device due to some intricacies of a VLAN. That would obviously mean that the IP has to be either assigned within the container or via a DHCP that spits out the RIPE IP addresses.

You can also use the "/etc/network/interfaces.tail" file within a VZ container (on Debian/Ubuntu bases systems) to do additional configuration (and this can be set from outside the VZ if need be). This would also be where you would add the additional routing details to make the IP routable to/from the "outside world".

"tcpdump" is your best friend in diagnosing these issues
That seems reasonable if we were only going to setup a few VPS's. We get roughly 250 VPS orders each month and we use HyperVM to manage our openvz while we build our in-house control panel. A VLAN is suppose to work in such a way that the IP's can be routed to whatever server/vm mounts them. We have our own VLAN in 4 other datacenters and everything works fine. Having to do all these work around for openvz VM's is completely unpractical when you have VPS's coming and going every day.

Myatu
02-07-2010, 20:43
Quote Originally Posted by Speedy059
I have looked at the following tutorial: http://help.ovh.ie/RipeVrack

However none of that applies to OpenVZ VPS's or any other VPS infrastructure since the vzctl adds the IP to the VM upon start up from the configuration file. All of these other configurations aren't possible for VM's, I think?
I haven't used OVH's Vrack, but I think that instead of a venet device, you use a veth device due to some intricacies of a VLAN. That would obviously mean that the IP has to be either assigned within the container or via a DHCP that spits out the RIPE IP addresses.

You can also use the "/etc/network/interfaces.tail" file within a VZ container (on Debian/Ubuntu bases systems) to do additional configuration (and this can be set from outside the VZ if need be). This would also be where you would add the additional routing details to make the IP routable to/from the "outside world".

"tcpdump" is your best friend in diagnosing these issues

Speedy059
02-07-2010, 16:10
Quite irritating that they haven't fixed this vrack issue and they will be going home soon for the weekend to leave me high-n-dry. If this happens then we are out of here and will need our $700 back.

Speedy059
02-07-2010, 15:58
OVH Staff: Please look at vrack2098. We are losing clients and getting chargebacks since your service you gave us isn't working.

Speedy059
02-07-2010, 07:55
Starting to think maybe it's not possible to do what I'm wanting to do with OVH vlan setups. Is there a way to put my IP's back to 1 server so I can at least get my clients back online?

I thought OVH vlan would work the same way as our other 4 datacenters vlans work, you assign an IP block to the vlan, and all the servers VPS's can use one IP from the block of IP's. I hope I didn't waste $700 here at OVH and that this isn't possible.

Speedy059
02-07-2010, 03:03
I have looked at the following tutorial: http://help.ovh.ie/RipeVrack

However none of that applies to OpenVZ VPS's or any other VPS infrastructure since the vzctl adds the IP to the VM upon start up from the configuration file. All of these other configurations aren't possible for VM's, I think?

Speedy059
02-07-2010, 02:52
I must not be getting something right, so I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions.

I purchased a personal VLAN for 2 servers that I have setup. These servers run openvz VPS's. For this VLAN, I assigned it a /24 block of IP's. OVH shows all the correct information, tells me that the vlan is configured and that my /24 is assigned to that vlan.

However, whenever I add IP's to any of the servers they are unpingable. I have tried to add IP's to the VPS's themselves, and to the servers directly as a different eth.

No matter what I try, the IP's assigned to that vlan just wont work on any of the servers. Does anyone have any ideas? The IP's were working fine when they were assigned to a single server directly.