OVH Community, your new community space.

Misconfiguration on Network in Esxi

HugeServer
04-07-2010, 21:46
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Did you check the "/etc" directory of state.tgz? Like "/etc/sysconfig/" or "/etc/network/"?
After I extraced the files, I did not find any files in /etc also /etc is empty.
That is ESXi 4 and it is different with 3

Myatu
04-07-2010, 21:36
Did you check the "/etc" directory of state.tgz? Like "/etc/sysconfig/" or "/etc/network/"?

HugeServer
04-07-2010, 20:00
Don't use ESXi, but looking at the output and what Yonatan said, sda4 seems the /boot and syslinux.cfg will have the commands for booting the system. Probably referring to the ".tgz" files on sda5.

A quick Google turned up this: http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Res...t_password.php -- it's for ESX 3, but it seems to have the same layout as you've shown. And though it speaks of resetting the password, I'd be willing to bet the network configuration can be found in the same "state.tgz" file as well.
Thank you,

Yes I have checked all of the files, and none of them was the network configuration. I have to change the network configuration. not the server password.

yonatan
04-07-2010, 13:59
Don't use ESXi, but looking at the output and what Yonatan said, sda4 seems the /boot and syslinux.cfg will have the commands for booting the system. Probably referring to the ".tgz" files on sda5.

A quick Google turned up this: http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Res...t_password.php -- it's for ESX 3, but it seems to have the same layout as you've shown. And though it speaks of resetting the password, I'd be willing to bet the network configuration can be found in the same "state.tgz" file as well.

From what i have understood, you untargzip it edit the targzip it back and reboot.

but still, they want money for support with esxi so we are alone in this case unless you pay them, or play around with the system files ...

I vote for proxmox or xen

Myatu
03-07-2010, 21:23

HugeServer
03-07-2010, 19:44
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
one of the partitions should contain "tar" files with the configuration.
try playing around there, i did not manage to find documentation about this.
Thank you for replying.

HTML Code:
root@rescue:~# cd /mnt/
root@rescue:/mnt# reset
root@rescue:/mnt# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1/
mount: /dev/sda1: can't read superblock
root@rescue:/mnt# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2/
root@rescue:/mnt# mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3/
mount: /dev/sda3: can't read superblock
root@rescue:/mnt# mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/sda4/
root@rescue:/mnt# mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/sda5/
root@rescue:/mnt# mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/sda6/
root@rescue:/mnt# mount /dev/sda7 /mnt/sda7/
mount: /dev/sda7: can't read superblock
root@rescue:/mnt# mount /dev/sda8 /mnt/sda8/
root@rescue:/mnt#
root@rescue:/mnt# ls /mnt/sda2
downloads  log  var
root@rescue:/mnt# ls /mnt/sda3
root@rescue:/mnt# ls /mnt/sda4
ldlinux.sys  mboot.c32  safeboot.c32  syslinux.cfg
root@rescue:/mnt# ls /mnt/sda5
boot.cfg  cim.vgz  cimstg.tgz  license.tgz  mod.tgz  oem.tgz  pkgdb.tgz  state.tgz  sys.vgz  vmk.gz  vmkboot.gz
root@rescue:/mnt# ls /mnt/sda6
boot.cfg
root@rescue:/mnt# ls /mnt/sda7
root@rescue:/mnt# ls /mnt/sda8
conf  db  etc  opt  packages  var  vmupgrade
root@rescue:/mnt#

yonatan
03-07-2010, 19:10
Quote Originally Posted by HugeServer
Yes I know how to do that. Look at the list of Partitions :

root@rescue:~# mount /dev/sda
sda sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8

I have check all of them, but none of them is the mail partition, also I think it should be a bit different with normal linuxes. isnt it?
one of the partitions should contain "tar" files with the configuration.
try playing around there, i did not manage to find documentation about this.

HugeServer
03-07-2010, 11:58
Quote Originally Posted by freshwire
You should be able to mount the partitions manually when running rescue mode.
Yes I know how to do that. Look at the list of Partitions :

root@rescue:~# mount /dev/sda
sda sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8

I have check all of them, but none of them is the mail partition, also I think it should be a bit different with normal linuxes. isnt it?

freshwire
03-07-2010, 11:13
Quote Originally Posted by HugeServer
Hello,

One of my users has misconfigured his server, which is installed ESXi on that. He has change his Main Server Network, and we are not able to correct this. Because on the Rescue modus we can not access to the main server files. There are 8 Partitions in rescue modus, but none of them is the main partition. I have tried to start the server in vKVM modus to correct this problem but ESXi won't be loaded on vKVM, because of CPU ( vKVM is not main cpu, it is virtual cpu ). Also what do you think? What can we do for that?

Can one of OVH technical correct this issue direct from the server?
You should be able to mount the partitions manually when running rescue mode.

HugeServer
03-07-2010, 08:55
Hello,

One of my users has misconfigured his server, which is installed ESXi on that. He has change his Main Server Network, and we are not able to correct this. Because on the Rescue modus we can not access to the main server files. There are 8 Partitions in rescue modus, but none of them is the main partition. I have tried to start the server in vKVM modus to correct this problem but ESXi won't be loaded on vKVM, because of CPU ( vKVM is not main cpu, it is virtual cpu ). Also what do you think? What can we do for that?

Can one of OVH technical correct this issue direct from the server?