OVH Community, your new community space.

Lag spikes with game servers hosted on OVH servers

Winit
07-07-2010, 21:09
Run WinMTR against the server IP for 30 minutes and post the results.

InsaneNutter
07-07-2010, 00:45
The server is an older Kimusufi which we got in July last year:

AMD Athlon LE-1660 @ 2.80ghz
2gigs of ram
250gig 7200rpm Segate hard drive

The CPU usage is no where near maxed out with the game server running, I have also disabled other services so just the UT server is running which makes no difference.

As I can host a UT 2004 server perfectly on an old 1ghz pc with 512mb of ram I don't think its a CPU issue, UT 2004 doesn't appear to be that demanding.

makno
06-07-2010, 21:58
i've had the same problem in the past, everything would be fine an all in a sudden the ping goes to 500+ for everyone. it happened on both dedicated server and/or vps running 1 server instance

yonatan
06-07-2010, 21:50
what kind of server do u use for the game?
CPU / RAM / DISK

are u sure its the connection and not the CPU maybe?
check CPU temp, and in general i good idea would be to run a hardware test in rescue-pro to the hardware.

btw , for games i recommend the i5-ssd

InsaneNutter
06-07-2010, 20:50
Hi,

I am having a problems running an Unreal Tournament 2004 server on multiple different OVH servers.

The problem is every 10 seconds or so massive lag spikes cause the ping of all the players in the game to go up to 900ms+. The game is perfectly playable for 10 seconds then a lag spike happens for a second and the game is then fine for another 10 seconds.

The exact same configuration for the UT 2004 server works fine on a VPS in Germany and also a VPS in the UK. I have even downloaded the UT 2004 server to my computer at home and got a couple of players to join with the server running on my connection at home (Virgin Media 20mbit on Virgins DOCSIS 3 network) no random lag spikes happen hosting on my home connection either.

I am really at a loss as to why this only happens on servers located in OVH's data center.

The UT 2004 server has a lot of players in France, Germany and the UK, the lag spikes happen for all players no matter where they are located.

Here is a traceroute from my home connection to one of the servers at OVH:

All 3 servers at OVH are running Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition with SP2.

I have tried to make this post as detailed as possible in the hope someone might have some suggestions, thanks for taking the time to read.