OVH Community, your new community space.

Connectivity issues through the night?

jonlewi5
16-07-2010, 17:04
Quote Originally Posted by _Lemon_
Sure it went down and these things do happen.

The problem was *why* it went down. A logging server for anti-scan protection system getting a full hard disk? That's... amazing.
Thats exactly what i asked earlier in the thread, but got no response.

_Lemon_
16-07-2010, 16:08
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
What are the chances of their entire network going down? Not that high. This is probably the first time it's ever happened. OVH isn't the only DC to go 100% offline. I've seen LayeredTech go offline, and DediWebHost, both whome I had a server with for some time. They were very unreliable having only 1 tier 1 provider (LT had Savvis and DWH had Cogent). Not the same I know, but you get my point.
Sure it went down and these things do happen.

The problem was *why* it went down. A logging server for anti-scan protection system getting a full hard disk? That's... amazing.

NickW
16-07-2010, 02:16
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
... Darn rats ...
I already posted pictures. Oles has the rats covered :P.

freshwire
16-07-2010, 01:18
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
... Darn rats ...
Do you mean tasty rats?

Myatu
15-07-2010, 17:50
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
What are the chances of their entire network going down? Not that high.
... Darn rats ...

Andy
15-07-2010, 09:21
What are the chances of their entire network going down? Not that high. This is probably the first time it's ever happened. OVH isn't the only DC to go 100% offline. I've seen LayeredTech go offline, and DediWebHost, both whome I had a server with for some time. They were very unreliable having only 1 tier 1 provider (LT had Savvis and DWH had Cogent). Not the same I know, but you get my point.

Thelen
15-07-2010, 09:19
Yea ISP/DC that host their own site and services from their own connection is very stupid and causes lots of lost business.

It really wouldn't cost much to get a CDN based host, aside from great uptime you'd then also have much better speeds and ping response, giving a better view of the company.

But whatever, I'll let you mis-manage your hundred million dollar company

Neil
13-07-2010, 10:55
Quote Originally Posted by mvegetto
I had those issues aswell, even now 5-10 mins ago it happened again. From what I can tell it was again a whole range that went down.

2012 is coming close now, skynet is taking over
Hi, that an issue with the router see http://status.ovh.net/?do=details&id=287 - this is caused by the ARP issue.

Skynet is already online and running, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_%28satellites%29

Tz-OVH
12-07-2010, 20:01
marks, seeing as any trouble at your DC will lead to the entire ovh domain being left inaccessible, perhaps its not a bad idea to host your website/forums off-site?

mvegetto
12-07-2010, 18:17
I had those issues aswell, even now 5-10 mins ago it happened again. From what I can tell it was again a whole range that went down.

2012 is coming close now, skynet is taking over

marks
12-07-2010, 15:16
This is the translation in English:

http://status.ovh.net/?do=details&id=282

Unfortunately, yes, there were 2 cuts:

30 minutes (Jul 12 05:31:54 / Jul 12 06:01:31)
25 minutes (Jul 12 06:45:13 / Jul 12 07:10:40)

The situation was corrected very quick, but it's clear that things like these shouldn't have ever happened.

HandsomeChap
12-07-2010, 14:46
Ah was wondering why I had some outages last night

jonlewi5
12-07-2010, 14:04
Excuse my ignorance, but reading through travaux using chrome to translate, but my understanding was that a script brought down the ovh network, is that right?
If it is, its a bit concerning that a rogue script can kill the network?

Of course, my understanding may be waaaay off the mark

Andy
12-07-2010, 10:53
So the WHOLE datacentre went offline twice for 30 and 25 minutes a time?

marks
12-07-2010, 10:51
yes, there was a short time downtime:

http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=4366 (the English translation will be posted very soon).

Also, more updates will be posted with what measures will be taken for this not to happen again

Andy
12-07-2010, 08:05
Did anyone else have world-wide connectivity cuts throughout the night? My server was reported down from London, USA, France and Sweden through pingdom.com and through friends. This happened 5 times for 20 minute intervals throughout the night. Probably the worst nights sleep I've had in a while with text alerts coming left right and center!

Anyone from OVH vouch for what happened?

Cheers.