OVH Community, your new community space.

EG BestOF - SwitchPort

Thelen
31-07-2010, 14:28
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Right, it's spelled "morons". But nevertheless, along with the use of words like "phail" and "douche" -- which are quite common in North America rather than the UK, admittedly -- I don't think anyone could have a normal conversation with you.
I know how to spell, clearly it isn't a typo, and clearly you aren't part of that culture. Doesn't mean you have to be a snooty uppity arrogant pom that treats the rest of the world with derision.

Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
We tried, but point made, end of discussion
What, you mean you tried to apply your total non-knowledge of the points of discussion to make a point that is completely wrong?

anonbit
31-07-2010, 01:25
settle down children

Myatu
29-07-2010, 16:50
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
You are both morans.
Right, it's spelled "morons". But nevertheless, along with the use of words like "phail" and "douche" -- which are quite common in North America rather than the UK, admittedly -- I don't think anyone could have a normal conversation with you. We tried, but point made, end of discussion

Thelen
29-07-2010, 04:13
You are both morans. If you'd actually done 25x230 you'd see it = 5750, EXACTLY WHAT I SAID IT DID.

And I'm not even American either, so epic phail once again.

Just the fact you admitted UK2 use only 26 servers on 16A is admission I was right all along, and you were just trolling :P

I love the fact you totally ignoring my response to your original blunder.

Euan
28-07-2010, 23:32
Quote Originally Posted by Euan
don't talk about what you don't have a clue about please.
Refer once again to this Thelen.

USA is an entirely different ball game to Europe.

Myatu
28-07-2010, 21:43
Do keep in mind Europe uses 230V - you did use that in your Watt calculation, but somehow you are underestimating it elsewhere. 32A@230V (25A nominal on 80%) is 67A@110V (54A nominal). That's enough to fill a 42U rack; I know UK2 works with an average of 26 servers per 16A@230V for example.

But the biggest issue isn't really the power, but the heat generated. Blade servers are the most difficult ones to cool, followed by 1U units, due to the hardware density. You can stick about 60 blade servers in a 42U cabinet, but you'll be running at the top end of your power capacity due to the cooling requirements (just a cold aisle isn't going to cut it). In fact, if you have limited amperage, you're better off using 1U or larger units instead.

Thelen
28-07-2010, 17:12
Heh, you seemed to miss the point as well. I'm not saying you CAN'T put 40 servers in a rack, clearly as a major DC you can do that because YOU decide how much power goes to a rack.

But on the smaller scale, you are limited and clearly even with OVH housing you are as well.

But by all means reveal this magical power technology you have that allows you to have 40 EG BestOf in a rack and only use 10A of power

Me, with my 3 racks, I have difficulty using up more than about half the space, and that includes about 6RU of switching/routing/cable management, before I run out of the 15A allowance. Given a full rack costs $2099 and comes with 10Mbps unmetered and 15A, paying $999 for another 10A is stupid, especially since the 10Mbps unmetered is worth $2000 as well and is basically half price in a rack.

marks
28-07-2010, 10:12
just to add up to the conversation, you can check yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLkFwXiK1vQ

it's not the latest datacentre (video from 2008), but you can count the servers per rack yourself.

Thelen
28-07-2010, 08:23
You are the one that has no clue what he's talking about. You can only fit 40 servers in a rack if you have a **** load of extra power. The standard full rack at EvoSwitch comes with 10A, the biggest comes with 25A. OVH allows you to order 10A more for 600 euro, so even then you may as well just buy another half rack since it costs the same and you get more bandwidth as well.

Unless you are putting Atoms or ARM based, no way in hell you will be able to power 40 servers in a rack and there is tonnes of documentation and studies done by people like Google that confirm these power density issues. 25A is 5750W, = 38 Atoms, or barely 20 Xeon based. The number of servers is really irrelevant, clearly you've never run anything like this so wouldn't know.

A single HP DL785 is only 7RU, and with a cost of $400,000 has more RAM and HDD than 64 'normal' Xeons. You say that isn't economically viable? LOL you are a douche.

Oh and if it wasn't economically viable (presumably because of the wasted space as you implied), why is it every time a datacenter says it is full (FDC in Dallas, Softlayer as well, Collo4dallas, etc), it is always due to lack of further power (or sometimes UPS capability), rather than actual floow/rack space??

rickyday
26-07-2010, 18:22
You lot are like a load of old women!

PS My Penis is bigger than all of yours!!

And if you dont believe me I will post a photo as proof!

Euan
25-07-2010, 18:08
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
30 racks at EvoSwitch is only 300 servers, not 1600... At least, certainly not 40/50 per rack with only 20 amps...

Anyway, new rapidspeeds site looks good, much better than the old one

On another nother note, I've never seen more than 200Mbps to internet, BUT I've seen full Gbit duplex within OVH network, just need to be on a good torrent tracker.

Oh and I LOL at you saying EvoSwitch vs Leaseweb, since clearly LW has FAR better branding/reputation >_>

Anyone who puts 10 servers in a rack is not making any money at all, it is not in anyway economically viable. You can easily put 40 servers a rack and I have seen that in production before. Infact even OVH does so if not more, don't talk about what you don't have a clue about please.

Thelen
25-07-2010, 14:29
What if we act like a foolish man?

Winit
24-07-2010, 22:37
Act like a fool and I will shoot you down. Act like a man and I will leave you alone.

Thelen
24-07-2010, 22:11
30 racks at EvoSwitch is only 300 servers, not 1600... At least, certainly not 40/50 per rack with only 20 amps...

Anyway, new rapidspeeds site looks good, much better than the old one

On another nother note, I've never seen more than 200Mbps to internet, BUT I've seen full Gbit duplex within OVH network, just need to be on a good torrent tracker.

Oh and I LOL at you saying EvoSwitch vs Leaseweb, since clearly LW has FAR better branding/reputation >_>

RapidSpeeds
24-07-2010, 13:11
Quote Originally Posted by Winit
Sure you did. Everybody should check the dedisales website before they take it down out of embarrassment. It looks awful. It also features stolen images!
Well, Andy who is a respected member on this forum (respected by me at least and actually contributes positively unlike you) still has the owner in his signature as an ovh reseller.

Not that it's any of your business, but about 15% of my sales come from the website (and I know the same applied to slayer).

The clients we had/have are acquired via a completely different method - so who cares how his site looks, he was one of the first resellers there was and had a lot of customers.

We make a mini fortune, and I don't care how anyone feels about it, we have nothing to apologise for - as we offer support with the servers, which benefits the customers who are not 'gurus', who run into any problems or need advanced trouble shooting.

We might have just been 'ovh resellers' at one point, but not anymore - I won't forget my roots and how fortunate we are to be in this position and that's all thanks to OVH.

Winit
24-07-2010, 11:41
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpeeds
Think you forget we bought over dedisales as well.
Sure you did. Everybody should check the dedisales website before they take it down out of embarrassment. It looks awful. It also features stolen images!

RapidSpeeds
24-07-2010, 02:45
OVH Staff members know how many we have, and we make enough, that's all that matters

Think you forget we bought over dedisales as well.

I find it laughable that you care - you keep on with your day job and I'll do the same

Neil
23-07-2010, 17:23
Quote Originally Posted by jonlewi5
Thats what she said...?

jonlewi5
23-07-2010, 15:21
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
It doesn't matter how many servers you have, its how you use them.
Thats what she said...?

Neil
23-07-2010, 14:33
Quote Originally Posted by Euan
RapidSpeeds - you have a 50 quid template and WHMCS to handle your billing, to possibly even claim you have the funds to own / operate 40 racks in EVOSWITCH; I find laughable.

Throwing around numbers constantly does not mean you have a large amount of servers, I can say that I have 10 thousand servers with OVH but theres no way I am going to prove it nor offer proof to people I don't know.

To possibly think you have roughly 1,600 servers is beyond laughable as a seed box seller. Stop playing the ' business man ' when you are clearly someone who has got business through reselling servers and now trying to act like a business.
It doesn't matter how many servers you have, its how you use them.

Euan
23-07-2010, 14:00
RapidSpeeds - you have a 50 quid template and WHMCS to handle your billing, to possibly even claim you have the funds to own / operate 40 racks in EVOSWITCH; I find laughable.

Throwing around numbers constantly does not mean you have a large amount of servers, I can say that I have 10 thousand servers with OVH but theres no way I am going to prove it nor offer proof to people I don't know.

To possibly think you have roughly 1,600 servers is beyond laughable as a seed box seller. Stop playing the ' business man ' when you are clearly someone who has got business through reselling servers and now trying to act like a business.

YouWhat
23-07-2010, 12:53
Quote Originally Posted by andy
i love flaming and trolls, they brighten my day
lol

Andy
23-07-2010, 12:35
I love flaming and trolls, they brighten my day

Winit
22-07-2010, 21:29
Don't comment on things you know nothing about when your two pence is not relevant to the topic and you just want to be a nuisance as usual.

I like to provoke arrogant immature cretins.

RapidSpeeds
21-07-2010, 20:48
Quote Originally Posted by Winit
You must be right because you use the word 'bud' and throw out fictitious numbers.
Exactly how many servers do you have again? one if you are lucky.

Don't comment on things you know nothing about when your two pence is not relevant to the topic and you just want to be a nuisance as usual.

When are you going to post something useful/helpful?

Winit
21-07-2010, 20:41
You must be right because you use the word 'bud' and throw out fictitious numbers.

RapidSpeeds
21-07-2010, 00:13
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
They can't. It's called managed overselling. Basically it means that they know not every single person is going to max out their bandwidth at the same time, so it's possible to offer such speeds.

No datacenter can guarantee the speeds yet all will offer such speeds anyway. OVH is no different.
Andy, I know how it works - we have 30 racks in EvoSwitch bud, and we obviously won't have 40Gbps per rack.

I am simply stating, it's not advertised as burstable - we know from having about 70+ of them.

They do not give you 1000Mbit ever, and I have been using OVH servers for a few years, I have the old ones on the Guaranteed bandwidth of 200Mbps but I have more of the latter ones, and they are no different bud.

A while ago, I posted speeds of a few speedtests on here with a 100Mbps RPS out performing a EG BestOF (on it's so called 1Gbps connection) - that's not right.

• Internal to OVH servers (about 350Mbps if you are lucky)
  • OVH to internet (same as a 100Mbps most of the time, 150-220Mbps at other times [peak and off peak] times)
  • Internet to OVH (always impressive, about 500-600Mbps)

/blah

tim2718281
20-07-2010, 18:11
They can't. It's called managed overselling. Basically it means that they know not every single person is going to max out their bandwidth at the same time, so it's possible to offer such speeds.

No datacenter can guarantee the speeds yet all will offer such speeds anyway. OVH is no different.
I guess the question is, if I have a 100 million bytes of data in memory to get to 200 users on random networks, each of who has a 5mbps connection, how long will it take?

To get the data to one user would take about 3 minutes. With a 100mbps server port it would take about 30 minutes to get the data to 200 users. But with a 1gbps network port, the server ought to be able to deliver the data to 200 users on 5mbps ports as fast as to one user on a 5mbps port.

Well, we all know network efficiency is not perfect.

Still, will the time required be the closer to the 3 minutes for a network speed of 1gbps, or 15 minutes for a network speed of 200mbps which rapidseeds claims he knows for a FACT is the speed limit on an OVH 1gbps server?

Andy
20-07-2010, 12:26
How can you guarantee me 1Gbps on a 501Gbps network when you have 70,000+ servers sold?

RapidSpeeds
19-07-2010, 15:52
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
The current servers on the website are 1Gbps but If you exceed 15 TB / month, the connection will be limited to 10 Mbps. Then you can purchase more to restore.

Some customers do have older servers which are 200Mbps unlimited.
Neil,

I know for a FACT those servers are NOT 1000Mbps upload - internally to other OVH servers it's faster (300Mbps), but 98.5% of the time it's 200Mbps if your lucky.

How can you guarantee me 1Gbps on a 501Gbps network when you have 70,000+ servers sold?

Neil
19-07-2010, 15:12
Quote Originally Posted by darkfyre
Thanks for taking the time to clarify that Neil

Ill be placing an order for one later this week, looking forward to my 1gbps in/out :-)
Well that is the connection, but obviously hard drive speeds and RAID do bring that down, but your server will have a 1Gbps switch.

Quote Originally Posted by tim2718281
I think that's on certain network contracts unavailable in the UK.
True, you can find the list here, https://www.ovh.co.uk/items/framewor...ing.xml?gm=pop

tim2718281
19-07-2010, 14:41
Remember, you only get 200Mbps to internet with a 1Gbps OVH/Kimsufi server - still a fantastic price though.
I think that's on certain network contracts unavailable in the UK.

darkfyre
19-07-2010, 14:33
Thanks for taking the time to clarify that Neil

Ill be placing an order for one later this week, looking forward to my 1gbps in/out :-)

Neil
19-07-2010, 14:25
Quote Originally Posted by darkfyre
so to clarify .. the website says:

But for any traffic leaving the server ill be restricted to 200mbps ... doesnt seem right to me.
The current servers on the website are 1Gbps but If you exceed 15 TB / month, the connection will be limited to 10 Mbps. Then you can purchase more to restore.

Some customers do have older servers which are 200Mbps unlimited.

darkfyre
19-07-2010, 13:47
so to clarify .. the website says:

SwitchPort:1 Gbps
Guaranteed bandwidth:1 Gbps
But for any traffic leaving the server ill be restricted to 200mbps ... doesnt seem right to me.

RapidSpeeds
19-07-2010, 13:10
Are you sure? I thought this only applies to FR users? With it being traffic series now I'd expect you to get the full 1Gbps, otherwise it defeats the point
FR users get 300Mbps - everyone else only gets 200Mbps.

You only get 2x 100Mbps guaranteed, so the upload speed is basically double that of a Kimsufi/SP 100Mbps - downstream is much better though.

Andy
19-07-2010, 12:36
Remember, you only get 200Mbps to internet with a 1Gbps OVH/Kimsufi server - still a fantastic price though.
Are you sure? I thought this only applies to FR users? With it being traffic series now I'd expect you to get the full 1Gbps, otherwise it defeats the point

RapidSpeeds
19-07-2010, 09:58
It's only the Kimsufi range that have the Switchport option available.

Anything beyond an EG has a 1Gbps switchport connection.

YouWhat
18-07-2010, 16:24
Yes, that is correct as it not there in the small print underneath the description and they would have to state it otherwise, also the switchport isn't listed in the professional use options either, so would say for certain from what the site says that the £15 a month doesn't need to be paid as an extra for this server

Andy
18-07-2010, 11:50
I believe that is correct, it comes as standard.

darkfyre
18-07-2010, 09:34
Hey guys,

Maybe a silly question, but im trying to make 100% sure before i buy.

The EG BestOF http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/eg_best_of.xml does come with a 1 Gbps NIC and switch access ?

I dont have to pay the extra £15 for professional use to use it ?

Anyone who has one able to confirm either way for me please?

Thanks