OVH Community, your new community space.

SLA for hardware failure

marks
22-07-2010, 10:21
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
While I'm here, would it be possible to let us (in the Managerv3) know what datacentre each server is in? (or already possible somehow?) At the moment I judge it via a traceroute and see the routers (rbx1, etc) before the last hop ( lame I know) - if that's how the routers are named (by datacentre).
In the manager, you've got the bay number: e.g.: 09D07

Then, you go to :
OVH Manager >> your server >> Server State >> Real time Monitoring >> Real Time Monitoring >> VMS

You'll see all the rooms in all datacentres. You can look in the datacentres looking for your bay number

HandsomeChap
22-07-2010, 09:20
Hey well to be able to create a redundant server to cover if one went faulty, that would imply I would have a working server in the first place, but that was my exact problem if arrived faulty

Nonetheless its working fine now after speedy intervention of just over 2 hours ticket opened -> machine back online with all 4 drives installed and working so really my question was answered and the issue was also resolved, but if we want to keep talking, do many people here use the free backup space in any useful way, perhaps to backup just the core system files? I wrote a simple script to tar what I want but I've just tested it and its not working properly when I try to restore it.

Regarding different DC, I called up ages ago wanting to get a 2nd server in the same DC as the 1st and they said that was possible to do, basically if automated setup put the machine in a different DC and I wasn't happy with the latency (I was using openfiler for iscsi and wanted as low as possible) then they would manually create one in correct DC. Not sure if thats the same policy as now?

ictdude
21-07-2010, 22:53
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
I guess this wouldn't be available for KS customers........

While I'm here, would it be possible to let us (in the Managerv3) know what datacentre each server is in? (or already possible somehow?) At the moment I judge it via a traceroute and see the routers (rbx1, etc) before the last hop ( lame I know) - if that's how the routers are named (by datacentre).
If you use the MoM software of OVH it shows you the datacenter the server is in. ftp://ftp.ovh.net/MoM/MoM.exe

LawsHosting
21-07-2010, 22:24
Quote Originally Posted by marks
For extra security, you can order your servers spread all over our datacentres. E.g.: you can have a server in rbx-1, another in rbx-2 and another one in rbx-3. If any one is interested on this possibility, give us a call to the support.
I guess this wouldn't be available for KS customers........

marks
21-07-2010, 10:51
Well i just dont take a risk and have 2 servers. If one goes down and repair takes longer then the SLA i have my second server. OVH has i think real good price so i just have a second one. So then my stuff is still in the air up and runing. My second Backup server has no hardware raid is cheaper but can handle the stress to run when ever server 1 is down. It give me time until server one is ready again. If you keep it redundant less troubles when stuff go wrong.
If you really want to build up a critical failproof server (infrastructure), you always need physical redundancy (there is no other way you'll get 100% availability):

a) you can have a configuration where the backup servers takes over when the main one is down, or

b) you can have a cluster of servers running at the same time and loadbalance them using:

b.1) IP Load Balacing

b.2) through vRack and use one of your servers to balance the load or use the Cisco ACE load balancer (http://www.ovh.co.uk/items/ace_load_balancing.xml)
For extra security, you can order your servers spread all over our datacentres. E.g.: you can have a server in rbx-1, another in rbx-2 and another one in rbx-3. If any one is interested on this possibility, give us a call to the support.

Myatu
20-07-2010, 21:44
@HugeServer: While we're on the topic of non-UK countries, double check your signature. It's gibberish.

ictdude
20-07-2010, 20:24
Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeChap
I thought it should have come under 4 hours SLA, why did the tech tell me 2-3 days? Already I can see the server has been rebooted and the fourth drive is visible, cable not fully connected maybe? Super fast intervention, just a shame support via telephone is so confusing, jump through hoops even for point blank obvious, then incorrect info given leading to severe annoyance.
Well i just dont take a risk and have 2 servers. If one goes down and repair takes longer then the SLA i have my second server. OVH has i think real good price so i just have a second one. So then my stuff is still in the air up and runing. My second Backup server has no hardware raid is cheaper but can handle the stress to run when ever server 1 is down. It give me time until server one is ready again. If you keep it redundant less troubles when stuff go wrong.

HandsomeChap
20-07-2010, 20:24
Maybe thats why I couldnt get UK on the phone, looking after all the other countries support instead

Winit
20-07-2010, 19:57
OVH UK forum is where it's at!

HugeServer
20-07-2010, 19:12
Quote Originally Posted by Euan
Why do people insist on contact the UK support when its regarding other companies? If you sign up with the DE company then why not contact them?

I think the UK support should stop wasting your time responding to people who seem to think they can contact any of the companies when its quite clear that you must contact your specific support team.
chill out When you were a OVH Support, so you can do it by your self.

Euan
20-07-2010, 16:53
Why do people insist on contact the UK support when its regarding other companies? If you sign up with the DE company then why not contact them?

I think the UK support should stop wasting your time responding to people who seem to think they can contact any of the companies when its quite clear that you must contact your specific support team.

Neil
20-07-2010, 16:06
Quote Originally Posted by HugeServer
Hello Neil,

Can you please check this ticket too? #497213 It is about a dos attack and the server is down since one day, and no body answer to the ticket
Sorry, I see it was being looked into yesterday and is a complex issue, it is something you need to contact the German support about.

Neil
20-07-2010, 16:05
I thought it should have come under 4 hours SLA, why did the tech tell me 2-3 days? Already I can see the server has been rebooted and the fourth drive is visible, cable not fully connected maybe? Super fast intervention, just a shame support via telephone is so confusing, jump through hoops even for point blank obvious, then incorrect info given leading to severe annoyance.
It is possible it could 2 - 3 days but very unlikely, Kimsufi is not top priority and if it was opened as a general ticket possible, because you opened the ticket the correct way, by using the form and correct tabs it went straight through to the datacentre and was done in less than 3 hours. The drive was dead and has been replaced.

HugeServer
20-07-2010, 14:36
Hello Neil,

Can you please check this ticket too? #497213 It is about a dos attack and the server is down since one day, and no body answer to the ticket

HandsomeChap
20-07-2010, 14:34

Neil
20-07-2010, 13:47
Anyone have a clear direct link for SLA for hardware failure?

For the second time in a row I've ordered an OVH server that has arrived physically incorrect, last time it was missing 4gb ram, this time its either only got 3 out of 4 hdds or else one is dead already. (Setup was about 2 hours ago so thats pretty impressive time to failure!)

Phoning up support telling them tw_cli (it has hardware raid) is only reporting 3 drives connected resulted in: "its probably showing up wrong" (err yeah ok, the hardware raid card can only read 3 drives but I'm suuuuure theres 4 really and its just hiding one or something ) and to check in rescue mode and ring back.

Ok so I jump through this hoop, rescue mode booted, and yes, hey presto, that is also reporting one drive missing. Return phone call, ok we are sorry about this, we will be able to fix this for you ......in about 2-3 days time?!?!?! I ask is this not under SLA and a fix for 4 hours, cant understand what he is saying in frenglish but basically sounded like our techs are busy, 2 days for this sort of low level request.

Again I am left feeling pretty let down, server arrives misconfigured/broken AGAIN and the time frame for fix is several days not hours, now I could accept it if they were actually interested and went along the line of "your new server is important, we will swap out drive ASAP" not "you are low priority, we have your money now so you can wait while we service new signups"*

*OK I kind of embellished that but thats how I feel.

Tried a couple of times to get through again to UK tech support in the hope of a better resolution but no luck, always france, is something happening at ovh today?
Hi

I see you have opened a ticket and an intervention is automatically been opened to should be done today, our SLA for Kimsufi servers is at the bottom of the website.

When the intervention has been completed and the ticket has been closed you can then contact us about compensation.

maksis
20-07-2010, 13:32
There was one hd missing from my EG Hybrid server and it was added 4 hours after creating the incident ticket

YouWhat
20-07-2010, 13:28
its just hiding
Did you look under the cushions on sofa?? The sofa always seems to accumulate and hide everything, couldnt find my wallet earlier, the sofa tried eating it!!

HugeServer
20-07-2010, 13:24
OVH unfortunately does not answer on the SLA Guarantee, They only are saying that, but they do not do that. I have got many servers down more than 4hours, Hardware failure and network failure, but OVH just told me no

HandsomeChap
20-07-2010, 12:59
Anyone have a clear direct link for SLA for hardware failure?

For the second time in a row I've ordered an OVH server that has arrived physically incorrect, last time it was missing 4gb ram, this time its either only got 3 out of 4 hdds or else one is dead already. (Setup was about 2 hours ago so thats pretty impressive time to failure!)

Phoning up support telling them tw_cli (it has hardware raid) is only reporting 3 drives connected resulted in: "its probably showing up wrong" (err yeah ok, the hardware raid card can only read 3 drives but I'm suuuuure theres 4 really and its just hiding one or something ) and to check in rescue mode and ring back.

Ok so I jump through this hoop, rescue mode booted, and yes, hey presto, that is also reporting one drive missing. Return phone call, ok we are sorry about this, we will be able to fix this for you ......in about 2-3 days time?!?!?! I ask is this not under SLA and a fix for 4 hours, cant understand what he is saying in frenglish but basically sounded like our techs are busy, 2 days for this sort of low level request.

Again I am left feeling pretty let down, server arrives misconfigured/broken AGAIN and the time frame for fix is several days not hours, now I could accept it if they were actually interested and went along the line of "your new server is important, we will swap out drive ASAP" not "you are low priority, we have your money now so you can wait while we service new signups"*

*OK I kind of embellished that but thats how I feel.

Tried a couple of times to get through again to UK tech support in the hope of a better resolution but no luck, always france, is something happening at ovh today?