OVH Community, your new community space.

OVH Ticket Support - Poll

raxxeh
06-08-2010, 14:41
Quote Originally Posted by glidewave
Yep, yet again, a server just stopped responding out of the blue (same issue again which occurs seemingly on any sp-storage in particular), couldn't even do a hardware reboot prior to intervention - after an hour it still hadn't rebooted. Now back into (seventh) circus circle of hell getting assistance.
My sp storage is fine, had issues for the first month but since that there has not been any issues with it.

glidewave
06-08-2010, 11:29
Yep, yet again, a server just stopped responding out of the blue (same issue again which occurs seemingly on any sp-storage in particular), couldn't even do a hardware reboot prior to intervention - after an hour it still hadn't rebooted. Now back into (seventh) circus circle of hell getting assistance.

anonbit
31-07-2010, 01:24
anything new on this?

maybars
30-07-2010, 11:03
I am also struggling with this "Bad configuration regarding your server ..." IP routing on virtualization. However I have 2 blocks in that server second block has no problem. I have 4 VMs with 4 different IPs from the same of first block. 2 IPs are always being blocked by the system. When I opened an incident, they also requested 20 EUR. I see the issue as; this "Support" thing is just became an "Intimidation". I got my first response in 48 hours. After 24 hours from my second response again a "Money Request" came up for software diagnosis This is not a software support that I request. This is truely about your routers and everybody suffers from this issue. Besides, If I made a wrong configuration why the other 3 servers are running without warning mails and 2 of them are being blocked always. They have the same configuration. However OVH is persistent to charge money. Sometimes it becomes really hard to understand OVH. No matter how long you are working with OVH or how many servers you have, always the same result!

glidewave
29-07-2010, 13:16
Rapidspeeds, you know full well they wouldn't give that much information the first time round .... You have to go in circles for a few (if not several) days first

J.

RapidSpeeds
29-07-2010, 09:59
I don't understand why anyone in their right mind would pay that for someone who can hardly speak English to tell them whats wrong with a server.

Will the engineers point the customer in the right direction as to how to solve the problem? or where to find the answer?

I also think it would be a great idea if you had some sort of Common Problem list that users could refer to once they had paid for this service - so the actual engineer is not taking the time to sort the issue, but helping the customer to help themselves, rather than go 'it's raid degradation, good luck fixing it - money please'

Thelen
29-07-2010, 04:15
Yes that is very true.

It would be like selling a car that runs out of fuel after 10Km, then telling the customers it is their job to get a mechanic to look at it, when clearly if EVERYONE is affected, it is the companies problem...

glidewave
28-07-2010, 18:17
Quote Originally Posted by marks
unfortunately, our servers are unmanaged, and we simply don't have enough engineers to be doing software diagnosis. That's up to the system administrator.

We posted an idea that could be interesting for this subject discussed here. Have a look and let us know what you think abou tit:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4217
That is a cop out. When a repetitive issue occurs over and over on multiple servers (and customers) it is beyond the "unmanaged" mantra. Additionally, you already do diagnosis in the first place when an incident is opened - you just don't give the result.

While 20 euro is "reasonable", the track record of Ticket support is not. This is not an isolated view either.

marks
28-07-2010, 17:56
Quote Originally Posted by glidewave
Ah yes, the logs, the logs that show no issue! Same thing occurred last time, even pasted the logs into the ticket and YOU had no clue.

No one said "long explanation", ANY explanation is helpful.
unfortunately, our servers are unmanaged, and we simply don't have enough engineers to be doing software diagnosis. That's up to the system administrator.

We posted an idea that could be interesting for this subject discussed here. Have a look and let us know what you think abou tit:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4217

Thelen
28-07-2010, 17:10
Marks I wasn't meaning the network problems in general obviously they are fairly specific problems and we all had fair warning from Oles and you guys that this type of thing would happen due to old/outdated hardware. But it still is a problem that 10% of my servers crash on a weekly basis...

glidewave
28-07-2010, 16:08
What I said in my message is that you could get plenty of that information yourself from the same machine: logs, check the kernel is running on, ....
Or you can call us in the support and we can try to find out more. But the engineers won't be doing a long explanation, specially if the info can be found by the customer himself.
Ah yes, the logs, the logs that show no issue! Same thing occurred last time, even pasted the logs into the ticket and YOU had no clue.

No one said "long explanation", ANY explanation is helpful.

marks
28-07-2010, 15:20
What I said in my message is that you could get plenty of that information yourself from the same machine: logs, check the kernel is running on, ....
Or you can call us in the support and we can try to find out more. But the engineers won't be doing a long explanation, specially if the info can be found by the customer himself.

glidewave
28-07-2010, 14:26
@glidewave: your server was found down and just didn't restart by itself, and a simple reboot didn't fix the problem. It was showing "creating initial devices nodes".

The engineers tried to boot up once again from fedora11_64, and it worked.

but all these things can be found out by yourself when the system is back online in the logs and checking what's kernel that the system has booted in,

@thelen; the network problems we had in the last few days are another thing. We're working on them so that it doesn't happen again, and coming out of these issues with a stronger and resilient network.
We'll keep you up to date
@marks
And yet it takes a hammer to get such information out of Incident Support. Your wonderful tone indicates you think I hadn't tried a hard reboot, yet I had 2 times (1st time didn't even work even though CP showed it did, ie conf was shown on the page, but no email confirmation), why is it tooth pulling to get this information in the tickets? You'd think after 2 drive failures, 2 faulty OS reloads, some sort of help beyond "software diagnosis" would ensue. This comes from frustration, not vindictiveness.

jonlewi5
28-07-2010, 11:35
The only major issue iv had was one server i have had a ****y PSU. Kept failing reinstallation and rebooting itself. The ticket was created automaticly, and an engineer fixed the issue without any intervention from myself.
This was also very late at night, i just saw the ticket had been created, got up in the morning and all was well.

So i personally have never had any problems with support and found them to actually be really really good.

marks
28-07-2010, 09:57
@glidewave: your server was found down and just didn't restart by itself, and a simple reboot didn't fix the problem. It was showing "creating initial devices nodes".

The engineers tried to boot up once again from fedora11_64, and it worked.

but all these things can be found out by yourself when the system is back online in the logs and checking what's kernel that the system has booted in,

@thelen; the network problems we had in the last few days are another thing. We're working on them so that it doesn't happen again, and coming out of these issues with a stronger and resilient network.
We'll keep you up to date

Thelen
28-07-2010, 08:04
I dunno about that going offline, though recently there has been network problems...

As for incident, I have about 5 servers that crash every week, 2 in the same rack that crash both at the same time.

glidewave
28-07-2010, 06:40
If you've had a situation with your server that resulted in the creation of an "Incident"; Tell us your story. Because I'm betting I'm not alone in the fact the majority get cookie cutter, non-helpful responses resulting in customer frustration. For instance going around for nearly 2 weeks on a true hardware failure Plus, why do dozens of servers go offline (like today) to the rest of the world at 08:20:43 CEST 2010?

I've been with OVH for 2 years, why is it so ridiculous to help people or tell customers what is going on?

It is ironic that the global dns OpenDns, cant' resolve any OVH address'

Jon.