OVH Community, your new community space.

Backup to FTP via Plesk

Neil
30-07-2010, 17:58
Quote Originally Posted by scorgit
Hi Neil,

I've read the only 1 connection issue versus multiple connections used by Plesk.

I haven't tried using SSH yet. But even if that would work, I surely cannot ask my clients to use an SSH-connection from my server (or am I overlooking something here?) ?

Am I right if I deduct from your answer that the FTP backup facility is in fact of no use to clients / domains hosted via Plesk? And that I'd have to run some sort of SSH-client to log into the FTP-server, once logged in as root on my server (since the backup server is only reachable from the web server itself) ?

I could try that (for myself that is, not for mere mortal users of course), but the added value of having a FTP backup space seems rather futile that way...

Tom
Hi

You would have to SSH in for them, since there is only one user for the FTP backup, so they would see all the FTP Backups - which maybe a security risk for you.

It is not a 'no use', however I will have ftp in using SSH, download the files and extract them manually, correct via the server as well.

We are aware of the issue with Plesk and are looking for a solution.

scorgit
30-07-2010, 16:14
Hi Neil,

I've read the only 1 connection issue versus multiple connections used by Plesk.

I haven't tried using SSH yet. But even if that would work, I surely cannot ask my clients to use an SSH-connection from my server (or am I overlooking something here?) ?

Am I right if I deduct from your answer that the FTP backup facility is in fact of no use to clients / domains hosted via Plesk? And that I'd have to run some sort of SSH-client to log into the FTP-server, once logged in as root on my server (since the backup server is only reachable from the web server itself) ?

I could try that (for myself that is, not for mere mortal users of course), but the added value of having a FTP backup space seems rather futile that way...

Tom

Neil
30-07-2010, 15:40
Hi Tom

With Plesk it requires 2 (or maybe even 3) simultaneous connections, however our ftp backup service only allows 1 connection.

Have you tried connecting to the FTP Backup just via SSH first, if you can, then it is this issue with Plesk control panel.

scorgit
30-07-2010, 14:02
Hi,

I have a dedicated server running W2008 with Plesk 9.3. With it the ability to backup domains, content etc to a specific OVH FTP-server (100 GB of space) has been provided by OVH.
I've been able to set up the FTP, both in OVH manager and in Plesk. Backing up (in passive mode, otherwise Plesk just hangs), a domain is successful (mail is also sent, saying the backup has been successful).

However, what to do next? From the FTP repository I cannot get access to my backups at all...

On deletion of a backup, I get the error:
Error: Permission denied error

On copying to the server repository, I get the error:
Error: pmm-ras error (Error code = 1):
== STDOUT ====================
Transport error: Unable to download remote file 'ftp://servername/backupname.zip': Curl error: FTP: login denied
==============================
== STDERR ====================

On downloading a backup, I don't even get an error, it just keeps on waiting / loading...

I have the FTP repository set up both from home -> Backup Manager screen in Plesk, as well as in the domain screen for which I want to manage the backup. Both deliver the same errors.

Any ideas what I've been doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

regards,

Tom