OVH Community, your new community space.

Extra BW issues

mks
22-10-2010, 06:29
It's true and it sometimes take them 24 hours to process the bandwidth order. In that 24 hour period, already 300GB of the 2TB is already consumed at 10mbit!

bsdMan
22-10-2010, 05:55
Ive noticed the same exact BUG / CON when ive bought more traffic. First off they should allow us to buy in 1TB increments as is alluded to on the dedicated server sales page (14.90 / TB)

second, and relevant to this thread is how you get charged the high 2TB 30 GBP price for the traffic that you use at 10 Mbit/sec this is very weak on OVH's part and i cant believe they wont change their policy on this, they are wrong and tons of their loyal customers here have pointed that out, no change from OVH.

mks
10-08-2010, 21:18
I just purchased my 2TB extra bandwidth but I have already consumed 500GB over my limit. So I guess I am only going to get 1.5TB at 100mbit?

And my bandwidth has not been added to my server yet. I thought it is instant? It is over 5 hours since I paid!

Thelen
10-08-2010, 11:53
Quote Originally Posted by layman
What do you want? You were told that over-limit traffic no matter if its 10Mbit or not, still counts if you buy more BW.

You bought 2TB, your used BW was 11.5TB, you used it up and now have to pay again to get 14-12.6TB=1.4TB.

For every 2TB after 10TB, no matter which speed it was used at, you have to pay for it when you buy more BW.

I agree this policy sucks!
Well what I want is for this policy to have been made clear. I didn't purchase the data willy-nilly after knowing it would do nothing, I purchased 2TB and then noticed it was barely even 500GB at full speed.

Andy
08-08-2010, 20:59
I felt sick reading it at one point, but that might have something to do with the headache...

Either way, I'm surprised to hear this from OVH since it's a very lame practice to say the least.

mvegetto
08-08-2010, 05:16
It's disgusting to read all this

layman
08-08-2010, 01:13
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
Further update:
Reinitialisation : 2010-08-07
Excess : Yes
Consumed this month : 12.62 TiB

Apparently my extra BW disappeared (it was shown before), thank you very much OVH for taking my 35GBP and giving me nothing back!
What do you want? You were told that over-limit traffic no matter if its 10Mbit or not, still counts if you buy more BW.

You bought 2TB, your used BW was 11.5TB, you used it up and now have to pay again to get 14-12.6TB=1.4TB.

For every 2TB after 10TB, no matter which speed it was used at, you have to pay for it when you buy more BW.

I agree this policy sucks!

Thelen
07-08-2010, 11:31
Further update:
Reinitialisation : 2010-08-07
Excess : Yes
Consumed this month : 12.62 TiB

Apparently my extra BW disappeared (it was shown before), thank you very much OVH for taking my 35GBP and giving me nothing back!

Thelen
05-08-2010, 13:20
Ah well I don't know Finish so....

But as I asked, just wanted it confirmed or not

Neil
05-08-2010, 10:41
Oh wow, this is great:
http://forum.ovh-hosting.fi/showthread.php?t=187

Apparently 'internal' is now only servers on the same account?

Don't know if this also apply to UK, but I haven't read the TOS or whatever, so wouldn't know if you can/have change this...
If you thread the thread then you will see the Finish Technician asks 'Kertoisitko meille, että mistä löysit tämän tekstinpätkän? / Please tell us that, where did you find this snippet of text? '

AKA, untrue.

Thelen
05-08-2010, 01:22
Oh wow, this is great:
http://forum.ovh-hosting.fi/showthread.php?t=187

Apparently 'internal' is now only servers on the same account?

Don't know if this also apply to UK, but I haven't read the TOS or whatever, so wouldn't know if you can/have change this...

Thelen
05-08-2010, 01:10
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Sorry, but please explain to me where I am lying. I have explained 10Mbps unlimited, however if you choose (yes you choose) to restore it to 100Mbps/1Gbps then the traffic that you have exceed will be taken away from the traffic you have brought, this is not a bug. Exceeding your usage is a plenty remember.
Lying is strong word, misleading is probably better...

Sure, we can change that. I am not sure how the wording will go but we can get that added to the Kimsufi and OVH Websites.

Edit: Added to Kimsufi site, will be added on the OVH website in the near future.
But that is just stupid!!!!!!!!!!

Why are you giving the customer the option to waste money?

If they have used 2TB over, and they purchase 2TB, they get nothing from it?

You are basically just taking free money?

NickW
04-08-2010, 22:11
Ok, at least it's now clear.

However the concept is still dispicable.

Scenario: You're on a 1000Mbps Kimsufi with 3TB traffic.

You consume your 3TB in 3 days (average around 100Mbps for 3 days) and are limited to 10Mbps.

You consume a further 2TB in 20 days (average around 8Mbps) and then decide you need the port restoring to 1000Mbps. Buy 2TB traffic and oh dear, still at 10Mbps. Where is the justification in paying an additional £30 to get sod all?

Winit
04-08-2010, 20:37
The whole point is that it takes community effort to expose OVH and get things sorted.

Neil
04-08-2010, 16:20
Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
We know it's not a bug and we know it's done intentional, that's the problem. It's just unfair.

We infer from "Optionally, a flow rate of 100 Mbps (or 1 Gbps if you have opted for the 1G switchport) will be allocated for the purchase of an additional TB of traffic." that the all additional traffic bought is usable at the full line speed.

It's deceptive not to have the actual rules explained before making a purchase.
Sure, we can change that. I am not sure how the wording will go but we can get that added to the Kimsufi and OVH Websites.

Edit: Added to Kimsufi site, will be added on the OVH website in the near future.

unclebob
04-08-2010, 16:13
Sorry, but please explain to me where I am lying. I have explained 10Mbps unlimited, however if you choose (yes you choose) to restore it to 100Mbps/1Gbps then the traffic that you have exceed will be taken away from the traffic you have brought, this is not a bug. Exceeding your usage is a plenty remember.
We know it's not a bug and we know it's done intentional, that's the problem. It's just unfair.

We infer from "Optionally, a flow rate of 100 Mbps (or 1 Gbps if you have opted for the 1G switchport) will be allocated for the purchase of an additional TB of traffic." that the all additional traffic bought is usable at the full line speed.

It's deceptive not to have the actual rules explained before making a purchase.

Neil
04-08-2010, 15:55
WOW, now apart from lying blatantly to the community, now you actually attack one of the members!

Also, now we know why this has happened, further, is because of the recent counting internal BW as external. IE, I got fked twice lol.

Speedy059
04-08-2010, 14:56
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Speedy, someone in the French forums posted a quick guide for this. Simply do a Google on "site:forum.ovh.com proxmox vrack" and it should pop up. Basically, it allows you to assign the RIPE IP to any VM, without having to modify the VM at any stage (so set & forget); the only requirement is a proper setup of the host. Hope this helps.

The problem is that the node has to be setup a certain way to accept X amount of IP's. If that VM is restored/transferred to another server in the same vlan/vrack the IP doesn't work anymore as the IP will only work on the node with the very specific settings. This is not going to work for us, we want the IP of the VM to work on any server in the vlan like it does for us everywhere else.

Thelen
04-08-2010, 13:31
Makes sense, since you are not a genuine company and continue to create fake nic handles and buy from resellers.
WOW, now apart from lying blatantly to the community, now you actually attack one of the members!

Also, now we know why this has happened, further, is because of the recent counting internal BW as external. IE, I got fked twice lol.

Myatu
04-08-2010, 12:04
Quote Originally Posted by Speedy059
Only constructive suggestion I have is to make the vrack more friendly for virtual technologies. Having to do all this bridging of eth's is very impracticable at larger scales. We really would like to have our IP's on 1 vlan with our servers able to pull IP's for the VM's.
Speedy, someone in the French forums posted a quick guide for this. Simply do a Google on "site:forum.ovh.com proxmox vrack" and it should pop up. Basically, it allows you to assign the RIPE IP to any VM, without having to modify the VM at any stage (so set & forget); the only requirement is a proper setup of the host. Hope this helps.

Neil
04-08-2010, 11:26
Quote Originally Posted by turbanator
lol arguing with OVH staff on these forums is like talking to a brick wall let it go. When the owner doesn't take any initiative in learning the most commonly spoken language in the world and still wants to do business with US and Canadian clients with no official support for them, what do you expect from his staff?
It currently limited orders being accepted at there own will, we have not advertised it, customers are doing that for us.

Speedy059 has explained the process, but if you got ovh.us it may give you a clue...

Come on these are just bad business and marketing procedures. As i said its of no use talking to them if u got some more money take your business somewhere else. I am waiting for some reviews on rapid speeds new Gbit servers and then i will switch over too.

Neil with all due respect you should stop defending OVH by any means possible. You are a nice guy and all and have been helpful but the staff on these forums inclusive of you were hell-bent on saying OVH did not count internal traffic towards monthly quota even after 100s of irrefutable proofs by various customers stating otherwise. Guess what happened to that? I don't think after that any of us over here really would believe in OVH's honesty.
There was a problem and it was fixed see, http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=4016 - you even talked about it yourself on the forum.

OVH has grown because of p2p as simple and as straight as that. No matter how much you hide it or claim otherwise, the matter of the fact is that No Genuine company would want to do business with one of the worst customer support possible
Makes sense, since you are not a genuine company and continue to create fake nic handles and buy from resellers.

Speedy059
04-08-2010, 08:32
I want to be fair, as I think I have been unfair to OVH. Our OVH server is performing very well and we haven't had any issues with the network other than those planned outages we had last week. We will be getting more servers in a few days since I honestly haven't had any issues lately. The server must have good top notch hardware as this server really is getting pounded to see what it can handle. I'm not sure if I could get these same prices anywhere else. I may get the same prices somewhere else, but I doubt it'll come with the same addon options and prices as I get here.

Only constructive suggestion I have is to make the vrack more friendly for virtual technologies. Having to do all this bridging of eth's is very impracticable at larger scales. We really would like to have our IP's on 1 vlan with our servers able to pull IP's for the VM's.

turbanator
04-08-2010, 04:09
lol arguing with OVH staff on these forums is like talking to a brick wall let it go. When the owner doesn't take any initiative in learning the most commonly spoken language in the world and still wants to do business with US and Canadian clients with no official support for them, what do you expect from his staff?

Come on these are just bad business and marketing procedures. As i said its of no use talking to them if u got some more money take your business somewhere else. I am waiting for some reviews on rapid speeds new Gbit servers and then i will switch over too.

Neil with all due respect you should stop defending OVH by any means possible. You are a nice guy and all and have been helpful but the staff on these forums inclusive of you were hell-bent on saying OVH did not count internal traffic towards monthly quota even after 100s of irrefutable proofs by various customers stating otherwise. Guess what happened to that? I don't think after that any of us over here really would believe in OVH's honesty.

OVH has grown because of p2p as simple and as straight as that. No matter how much you hide it or claim otherwise, the matter of the fact is that No Genuine company would want to do business with one of the worst customer support possible

Speedy059
03-08-2010, 10:18
Well they must respond to you since May they have refunded 4 orders of yours, I hate to think how much money we have lost
This is because I'm very unfamiliar with the practice of OVH....took me a month to figure it out as I wasn't 100% sure what I was ordering. EX: Ordering the vrack, I had no idea that wasn't VM friendly. It seems if you want to use a vrack it has to be for regular dedicated servers and not for emerging technologies like virtual machines. Yes it was possible to put IP's on OpenVZ on the vrack, but it would require tedious work for each VPS to manually configure the IP's like that. This is not the same kind of vlan I was expecting, as all the other DC's have it so the IP's are assigned to the vlan and then they work when you have a server/vm mount the IP's.

Neil
03-08-2010, 09:46
How could the customer service levels drop when there hasn't been any? I thought the "new business plan" was to introduce customer service. USA clients don't get any responses from ovh.ie. If we do, it's a non-helpful reply and we have to then wait another 24-48 hours to get another reply. We had an /24 block offline for nearly 2 weeks because of the non-existent support from ovh.ie. We lost so many clients because of this since their services were not online because the IP's wouldn't work. They are hardly ever in office, and when they are in office they will only answer 1 question per day...
Well they must respond to you since May they have refunded 4 orders of yours, I hate to think how much money we have lost

Neil
03-08-2010, 09:46
Clearly we do pay for BW at that speed, why else would otherwise my brand spanking new 2TB of traffic suddenly be only 500GB?

I'm glad you actually said "then your over usage is then taken away from your new additional bandwidth" rather than 'it is a bug' or some such bull. Gives us proof you know this is what happens and by design, so now we can rip you a new one

I don't continue to run into this issue, I simply have the need to buy more BW on occasion. Sometimes I am on the ball and purchase before the 10TB limit is hit, sometimes a day later, sometimes weeks later as is the case here. Perhaps if you didn't have such poor BW shaping controls or indeed bad BW shaping policies in the first place, this wouldn't happen...

Will be interesting to see how rapid does with their new servers, if they can manage to get a few different spec'd ones, I'm going to bet there will be a wholesale rush away from OVH, and you'll be stuck with hundreds if not thousands of servers. Maybe if you fix this issue, and make BW cheaper to purchase, you won't loose millions...
That means you used 1.5TB over your allowance listed on the website, you could of ran at 10Mbps free until the end of the month, but you choose to restore the connection to full speed.

I can give you proof if you give me a server address that it is designed like this...

raxxeh
03-08-2010, 07:35
How could the customer service levels drop when there hasn't been any? I thought the "new business plan" was to introduce customer service. USA clients don't get any responses from ovh.ie. If we do, it's a non-helpful reply and we have to then wait another 24-48 hours to get another reply. We had an /24 block offline for nearly 2 weeks because of the non-existent support from ovh.ie. We lost so many clients because of this since their services were not online because the IP's wouldn't work. They are hardly ever in office, and when they are in office they will only answer 1 question per day...
Back when i had my first box with ovh during 07, i had a few hardware issues with it, each and every time i had a ticket open it was replied to in less than 2 hours, fixed in less than 4 hours.....

I recently had an issue with a server i've had for a year now with network issues, it took 3 weeks to even get recognition of the issues, then a further 2-3 weeks for them to tell me what was going on, in the end i found out it was some bull**** they have pre-loaded into their windows os's that was causing the issue....

thus from my PoV, there was customer service previously. now there is not.

Speedy059
03-08-2010, 07:31

raxxeh
03-08-2010, 05:37
What new business plan?
Introducing limits. customer service levels dropped. i've been using OVH services since late 06/early 07

what OVH is now is a ****ing joke compared to what they used to be

Speedy059
03-08-2010, 05:24
What new business plan?

raxxeh
03-08-2010, 04:39
Will be interesting to see how rapid does with their new servers, if they can manage to get a few different spec'd ones, I'm going to bet there will be a wholesale rush away from OVH, and you'll be stuck with hundreds if not thousands of servers. Maybe if you fix this issue, and make BW cheaper to purchase, you won't loose millions...
OVH's new business plan seems pretty laughable to alot of people tbqh,

Thelen
03-08-2010, 04:29
You don't pay for bandwidth at that speed, you can run until the end of the servers month unlimited no problems, you only pay if you want it restored to 100Mbps/1Gbps and if you do then your over usage is then taken away from your new additional bandwidth.

If you continue to run into this issue, then recommend you take the auto renew 2TB which is added onto your server each month, that way it will not be limited in the first place.
Clearly we do pay for BW at that speed, why else would otherwise my brand spanking new 2TB of traffic suddenly be only 500GB?

I'm glad you actually said "then your over usage is then taken away from your new additional bandwidth" rather than 'it is a bug' or some such bull. Gives us proof you know this is what happens and by design, so now we can rip you a new one

I don't continue to run into this issue, I simply have the need to buy more BW on occasion. Sometimes I am on the ball and purchase before the 10TB limit is hit, sometimes a day later, sometimes weeks later as is the case here. Perhaps if you didn't have such poor BW shaping controls or indeed bad BW shaping policies in the first place, this wouldn't happen...

unclebob
02-08-2010, 22:11
I agree, this is such a con.

Winit
02-08-2010, 21:42
So it isn't unlimited 10Mb/s after all. What a con.

Speedy059
02-08-2010, 17:25

Yep, it really wouldn't be difficult to get BBB to investigate them, it isn't just false advertising it is deceptive business practices.
BBB doesn't investigate anyone. They are just a mediator between two parties to communicate and come to a resolution, if possible.

Neil
02-08-2010, 15:12
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Marks, that's stupid. It should never be taken from your EXTRA paid bandwidth when it's classed as unlimited at 10Mbps. You shouldn't have to pay for bandwidth at that speed. If you do it should be made VERY CLEAR on the site.

Yet another mis-sold product from OVH. Sorry I had to say that but sadly it's true.
You don't pay for bandwidth at that speed, you can run until the end of the servers month unlimited no problems, you only pay if you want it restored to 100Mbps/1Gbps and if you do then your over usage is then taken away from your new additional bandwidth.

If you continue to run into this issue, then recommend you take the auto renew 2TB which is added onto your server each month, that way it will not be limited in the first place.

mvegetto
02-08-2010, 15:10
I have got to agree here aswell, this is false advertisment.

Thelen
02-08-2010, 13:27
Quote Originally Posted by marks
so, you're saying that since the server was limited you did 1.5TB of traffic? at 10Mbps?
If it was part of the margin we give when it goes over the monthly traffic limit, then yes, that's automatically discounted from the traffic you purchase.
Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. I've paid 33GBP for 500GB extra traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by NickW
Precisely.

And that means you've paid for that bandwidth at 10Mbps too rather than the advertised "normal" speed, so it's false advertising.
Yep, it really wouldn't be difficult to get BBB to investigate them, it isn't just false advertising it is deceptive business practices.

For those interested, this is what it said:
Your dedicated server xxxx.ovh.net is about to pass 95 %
of outbound traffic allowed in the month :
- Monthly Quota : 10.00 TiB
- Extra Quota : 525 GiB
- Trafic Used : 11.49 TiB

So I don't know exactly what I used, and since OVH shaping is a little slow it is possible I used only 1TB @ 10Mbps (500GB on 1 day that it took them to shape), but I don't think that is very likely since it would be immense extra cost to OVH (though, at 33GBP per 2TB, they can afford it)

NickW
02-08-2010, 13:02
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Marks, that's stupid. It should never be taken from your EXTRA paid bandwidth when it's classed as unlimited at 10Mbps. You shouldn't have to pay for bandwidth at that speed. If you do it should be made VERY CLEAR on the site.

Yet another mis-sold product from OVH. Sorry I had to say that but sadly it's true.
Precisely.

And that means you've paid for that bandwidth at 10Mbps too rather than the advertised "normal" speed, so it's false advertising.

Andy
02-08-2010, 12:46

marks
02-08-2010, 11:22
So server used 10TB and was shaped. Then did another 1.5TB over the course of 2 weeks.

I purchased another 2TB to use since it was still 1 week to go, HOWEVER I'm only getting 500GB of it!
so, you're saying that since the server was limited you did 1.5TB of traffic? at 10Mbps?
If it was part of the margin we give when it goes over the monthly traffic limit, then yes, that's automatically discounted from the traffic you purchase.

I might need to buy extra bandwidth for this month but I have to buy them in increments of 2TB???
the price for TB is £14.90, but you can only buy: 2TB, 10TB, 20TB, ... and so on.

mks
02-08-2010, 04:34
I might need to buy extra bandwidth for this month but I have to buy them in increments of 2TB???

Thelen
02-08-2010, 00:35
So server used 10TB and was shaped. Then did another 1.5TB over the course of 2 weeks.

I purchased another 2TB to use since it was still 1 week to go, HOWEVER I'm only getting 500GB of it!

I'm guessing this is yet another of OVH dodgy practice, but seems a bit useless to purchase extra BW, if it counts against the extra BW you used at shaped speeds. IE, I just paid 33GBP basically for nothing!