OVH Community, your new community space.

RPS backup?

Razakel
18-11-2010, 14:17
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Rather than an RPS you may be better off with a Kimsufi, it offers more in the way of hardware for the price, and I believe you also get 100GB backup FTP space as well.
Yeah, you do.

I'm honestly not sure why anyone would go for an RPS versus a Kimsufi at the same price point. A dual Atom with 1GB RAM vs a Celeron D with 2GB and a proper disk? Why would you pick the first?

Andy
17-11-2010, 12:26
Rather than an RPS you may be better off with a Kimsufi, it offers more in the way of hardware for the price, and I believe you also get 100GB backup FTP space as well.

melat0nin
10-08-2010, 11:36
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Hi

Should not it just copies the your 'virtual' hard drive to another storage server , what have you changed though?
Nothing special, just set up DNS/Apache etc manually.

Does that mean it simply takes a copy of everything that is there regardless of configuration/contents?

EDIT: going back to the Standard backup cost, is the £38.50+vat backup complete, i.e. the server would be restored completely to its backed-up state (with the need of course to set up the database from a MySQL dump)? In that case it might be cheaper, because the likelihood of needing to restore a backup is small, the cost is low over the long-term, instead of doubling our hosting package cost.

Does this make sense?

have emailed support to ask

Neil
10-08-2010, 11:29
Quote Originally Posted by melat0nin
Sounds fine. How would the migration work? We are currently on RPS I (Standard) and would want to move to Premium. The server is custom-configured Ubuntu server 9.04, would we need to do anything in the transition?
Hi

Should not it just copies the your 'virtual' hard drive to another storage server , what have you changed though?

melat0nin
10-08-2010, 11:20
Hi

It only backs up the files, so I recommend you do a cron task that dumps the database every 24 hours into a folder, so then that folder would be backed up with the database dumps.
Sounds fine. How would the migration work? We are currently on RPS I (Standard) and would want to move to Premium. The server is custom-configured Ubuntu server 9.04, would we need to do anything in the transition?

Neil
10-08-2010, 11:13
Hi Neil

I've been looking at the Premium RPS, I think that's a good deal. Can I ask whether the backup included with that would backup MySQL too? We are running Ubuntu server 9.04 with custom configuration at the moment - how would that migrate over? Is extra software required on the server for backup, or is it done at hardware level (or something else)?

Thanks

Laurence
Hi

It only backs up the files, so I recommend you do a cron task that dumps the database every 24 hours into a folder, so then that folder would be backed up with the database dumps.

melat0nin
10-08-2010, 09:40
Its a one off fee when you contact us, so if you suddenly make a mistake you contact us, We say what snapshots are available (yesterday, day before that etc) you choose and we create an FTP Account and you can login and download the files (MySQL depends on your config). There is normally 5 backups and are done daily.

If you are that concerned about backups you should take out a higher level RPS package.
Hi Neil

I've been looking at the Premium RPS, I think that's a good deal. Can I ask whether the backup included with that would backup MySQL too? We are running Ubuntu server 9.04 with custom configuration at the moment - how would that migrate over? Is extra software required on the server for backup, or is it done at hardware level (or something else)?

Thanks

Laurence

Neil
09-08-2010, 17:29
Neil

Can you be more specific - is that a yearly cost? What does it provide us with? Does it backup MySQL too? How often is it done, and how many backups are kept?

Thanks!
Its a one off fee when you contact us, so if you suddenly make a mistake you contact us, We say what snapshots are available (yesterday, day before that etc) you choose and we create an FTP Account and you can login and download the files (MySQL depends on your config). There is normally 5 backups and are done daily.

If you are that concerned about backups you should take out a higher level RPS package.

melat0nin
09-08-2010, 17:01
Hi

We do backup the storage servers, but they are not really designed for individual restoring, if you only have Standard then you have to pay for us to generate a backup with FTP Access.

This currently costs £38.50 without VAT, and please note that the backups maybe older than 24 hours.
Neil

Can you be more specific - is that a yearly cost? What does it provide us with? Does it backup MySQL too? How often is it done, and how many backups are kept?

Thanks!

Neil
09-08-2010, 16:55
Hi

We do backup the storage servers, but they are not really designed for individual restoring, if you only have Standard then you have to pay for us to generate a backup with FTP Access.

This currently costs £38.50 without VAT, and please note that the backups maybe older than 24 hours.

melat0nin
09-08-2010, 15:48
Hi all

Do RPSs get automatically backed up by OVH? I can't find any concrete information in the help documents - it all relates to web hosting.

Even if it does, do you guys use third-party backup tools? If so, what do you use? I was pondering making use of Amazon S3, but I'd like to hear any thought people have first.

Cheers