OVH Community, your new community space.

Can I reinstall without losing data?

ictdude
10-08-2010, 23:05
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
Ouch,
maybe the "format only the first disk" option would do the trick, then rebuild the array for md3, never tried such a thing so i am not sure if it keeps the second disk or formats it to "raw" , i just got myself another server and shooting backups to that one.

i see you got about 750gb of stuff, so you might want to ( at least ) take some advantage of the ftpbackup ( you got 100gb there ) backup whatever you can at least there...

another option is to download home... or get a second server for backup.

a kimsufi would do the trick.
On internet you have a lot of online-backup posibilities. Why dont use that for the time being. You pay for a month and later restore all data. And it goes from datacenter to datacenter. Down and upload will be ok.
Maybe like www.mozy.com ? More providers like this...

gangsta
10-08-2010, 08:14
There is an option during installation proccess to leave current file system untouched, but I can not confirm that will only overwrite your system partition and won't format the rest.
As for ftp client you don't need to install anything. Simply run the server in rescue-pro mode and use 'mc' and its build-in ftp client to backup your files.
You may also try to use winscp from your home windows install to backup your files.

antdgar
09-08-2010, 22:39
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
Ouch,
maybe the "format only the first disk" option would do the trick, then rebuild the array for md3, never tried such a thing so i am not sure if it keeps the second disk or formats it to "raw" , i just got myself another server and shooting backups to that one.

i see you got about 750gb of stuff, so you might want to ( at least ) take some advantage of the ftpbackup ( you got 100gb there ) backup whatever you can at least there...

yah, i guess it is too complicated. will just sacrifice it.

the problem is I can't install an ftp client, so i cannot backup xD

yonatan
09-08-2010, 22:32
Ouch,

antdgar
09-08-2010, 22:22
I need to reinstall debian

Is it possible to reinstall debian via manager and not destroy the /dev/md3 (home) location?