OVH Community, your new community space.

I love you <3

NickW
22-08-2010, 19:01
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpeeds
Myatu, you never surprise me - that's a fantastic idea actually... very simple, but would be very effective for the end user.

Our HP J9022A switches cost £1800 (bulk buy discount) and we need 3 per rack so I can definitely say in the next few months I might implement that idea when some money rolls in - got a lot of server equipment money to recoup.

hrmm, you have me thinking now...
Damn, why 3 per rack?

RapidSpeeds
22-08-2010, 18:09
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
@RapidSpeeds - if you can do 2 NICs per server, one of those on an switch for internal traffic only, you'll be a step ahead (one of the things missing with OVH, and overloading switches meant for both in- and external traffic).
Myatu, you never surprise me - that's a fantastic idea actually... very simple, but would be very effective for the end user.

Our HP J9022A switches cost £1800 (bulk buy discount) and we need 3 per rack so I can definitely say in the next few months I might implement that idea when some money rolls in - got a lot of server equipment money to recoup.

hrmm, you have me thinking now...

Winit
16-08-2010, 20:37
Quote Originally Posted by Iray
lol... It would seem there is some tag teaming going on here..

or Winnt == RapidSeeds.
Tag teaming yes. Duplicate accounts no. :P

Iray
16-08-2010, 00:14
lol... It would seem there is some tag teaming going on here..

or Winnt == RapidSeeds.

RapidSeeds
15-08-2010, 13:42
This is coming from rapidSEEDS
I own a planting website and I sell my patented plant hormone formula for fast growth.

RapidSeeds
15-08-2010, 13:41
Quote Originally Posted by Winit
I suppose the fact he runs a crimeware site had nothing to do with it.
lol
Winit might be the only smart user on these boards. At least he can see the hypocrisy behind that git's organization.

Winit
14-08-2010, 19:02
Anyways, FDCServers suck - my friend who owns ryan1918.com had a server with them and they actually terminated it as he was 'using too much bandwidth.
I suppose the fact he runs a crimeware site had nothing to do with it.

NickW
14-08-2010, 12:28
RapidSpeeds, for a moment I though it was you lol.

Just take it as a compliment that he wants to be like you in every way.

Myatu
14-08-2010, 11:10
@RapidSpeeds - if you can do 2 NICs per server, one of those on an switch for internal traffic only, you'll be a step ahead (one of the things missing with OVH, and overloading switches meant for both in- and external traffic).

Thelen
14-08-2010, 03:30
Heh firstly yea, OVH should do something about this copycat, indeed all the forums should slap him :P

It will be interesting to see what happens with you. OVH did what you are doing but to a much larger scale, 3 years ago, not sure how well it worked out (they started enforcing their BW shaping on the newer servers cos they were running out of BW) PLUS they have a whole other business side to balance out the negatives. But maybe you've just caught the beginning of drop in prices so maybe it will work.

With 8 racks, that probably is big enough that someone couldn't come along and use half your BW from a bunch of servers, especially with most of the servers already gone. On the face, it is a brilliant plan, since most/all of the people will probably be using on the similar tracks, so I anticipate a high level of internal traffic. And then you can also be roughly sure what BW will be used as well because of that, but we'll see

RapidSpeeds
14-08-2010, 00:06
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSeeds
Thelen go back to your illegal torrents
omfg - get that signature changed, why do you want to pretend you are us RapidSeeds?

You register a name as close as possible to us after our tld has been registered, then you post in every forum I talk in when you are active, then you change your signature to a carbon copy of ours - you also told a customer you WERE me.

It's sad & pathetic with a hint of funny.

Winit
13-08-2010, 23:39
10char

RapidSpeeds
13-08-2010, 23:09
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSeeds
This is coming from rapidSEEDS

RapidSpeeds
13-08-2010, 23:08
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
157.89Mbps x 40 = 6Gbps. Purely a guess on my part.... Same as the power usage, which I was understating to get information out of you :P Never underestimate someones ability to play dumb when information and business secrets are concerned :P

And yea I've looked at the carriers and fibers and IXs, in fact for about 100 different POPs around the world. I'm yet to find one that will sell me 10GE for less than 8000GBP even WITH pretending I'm a huge CDN startup with a requirement for 6x10GE fully committed. Only one that comes close is FDC and their dedicated server packages, which if you assume a short hardware ROI, is about 8k GBP.

I'm guessing you're just paying for some partial commit, plus high oversell factor (though providing 10-15TB per server is very good), since my calculations are almost to the pound now. I find it funny you saw Evo instead of LW since LW is the far more public and well known brand, people will see Evo and say WTF is that?
Heh, I don't mind disclosing our figures, just not on ovh forums as they are nice enough to let me discuss it.

Well Thelen, we bought 8 racks to begin with (there's only 41 servers left) - we also made a commitment plan for future months, so we are commited and not leaving anytime soon.

I was a Sales Manager for Telewest, then NTL:Telewest and left before it became Virgin Media. So through my experience, I managed to secure some nice discounts on rackspace, bandwidth and power; better than I could have ever imagined.

We are going to lose money for several months, as it costs alot for rackspace, power, hdds, ram, switches, cpu's, apc power bar (32A) & the actual servers themselves - we just used every bit of profit we had made from OVH servers (about £9 profit per server) and before anyone starts, we charge a higher price as we look after our customers and install 99% of what they ask etc - but we had to buy in bulk, this stuff isn't cheap, although it's worth it in the long run.

You obviously know it's cheaper to buy wholesale - if I were to go through Leaseweb, I would have had to pay agent comission for whoever sold me it - but as I dealt with the Business Development Manager, and we have built up a good relationship, it's worked out great for us.

Anyways, FDCServers suck - my friend who owns ryan1918.com had a server with them and they actually terminated it as he was 'using too much bandwidth.

Besides - that's a US network, and the speed files from these .NL servers are just as fast inside the USA as they are, and much faster outside the EU.

RapidSeeds
13-08-2010, 20:32
157.89Mbps x 40 = 6Gbps. Purely a guess on my part.... Same as the power usage, which I was understating to get information out of you :P Never underestimate someones ability to play dumb when information and business secrets are concerned :P

And yea I've looked at the carriers and fibers and IXs, in fact for about 100 different POPs around the world. I'm yet to find one that will sell me 10GE for less than 8000GBP even WITH pretending I'm a huge CDN startup with a requirement for 6x10GE fully committed. Only one that comes close is FDC and their dedicated server packages, which if you assume a short hardware ROI, is about 8k GBP.

I'm guessing you're just paying for some partial commit, plus high oversell factor (though providing 10-15TB per server is very good), since my calculations are almost to the pound now. I find it funny you saw Evo instead of LW since LW is the far more public and well known brand, people will see Evo and say WTF is that?

Thelen
13-08-2010, 14:06

RapidSpeeds
13-08-2010, 12:24
What, you have 40 servers per rack? Based on the specs, you must have the 2nd 16A rail active (or if is by default then purchasing something like 20A) right?

BW wise, assuming you got 100 orders, that is only 10,000GBP a month income, and last I checked 10GE costs MINIMUM of 8,000GBP from the ****tiest of the **** provider. How the hell is this a sustainable business plan, when 5 servers can use 50% of your whole bandwidth (per 10GE). Though, I guess maybe you guys have just done a 10GE peer with OVH and AMSIX direct?

Also, lulz @ still saying EvoSwitch vs LW. They are both the same company, just different brands.
Thelen, you need to read before you start on a rant.

It's a mix of 25 & 30Amp racks (believe it or not the quad core servers use the 25Amps (38 of them) and the dual core use the 30amps.

When did I say 40? I also said it's 6Gbps guaranteed per rack, which is fantastic anyways, and we bought 10G trunks as we can scale bandwidth from one rack to another, ensuring our you always get the best possible speeds. People need to eat and sleep, and do other things like work to pay for servers, which is why every network including OVH oversell - except with these, theres no setup fee, unmetered bandwidth, and a superior network.

Yes, of course I know Leaseweb is owned by the same company EvoSwitch are (Parent: OCOM) and Leaseweb's servers are based in EvoSwitch, which in fantastic - Have you looked at the carriers, fibers & ixps?

I am not going to talk about this on OVH forums again - thats the setup.

Thelen
13-08-2010, 11:30
What, you have 40 servers per rack? Based on the specs, you must have the 2nd 16A rail active (or if is by default then purchasing something like 20A) right?

BW wise, assuming you got 100 orders, that is only 10,000GBP a month income, and last I checked 10GE costs MINIMUM of 8,000GBP from the ****tiest of the **** provider. How the hell is this a sustainable business plan, when 5 servers can use 50% of your whole bandwidth (per 10GE). Though, I guess maybe you guys have just done a 10GE peer with OVH and AMSIX direct?

Also, lulz @ still saying EvoSwitch vs LW. They are both the same company, just different brands.

RapidSpeeds
13-08-2010, 10:36
You are right, one of the people we hired pointed this out - he's going to make a new one after the manager is completed.

I do like it though, shame it's a $60 template... Most our sales come from IRC, but if we want to be taken seriously, need to look professional, so I know what you mean!

Speedy059
13-08-2010, 10:30
RapidSeeds, your deals look great. But why do you share the same template as http://www.onepartner.com/ ? I think it would help to separate yourself from anyone else. Don't get me wrong, I like both your sites.

RapidSpeeds
13-08-2010, 09:55
That's not me, it's a copycat - Myatu pointed him out to me, but nice to know we are worth copying.

It's 6Gbps per rack, as we bought 10G trunks and are splitting them, but 157.89Mbps is guaranteed to all server if every single server was in use and maxing out their connection, but that's highly impossible and it's called managed overselling, exactly like OVH do with their 503000Mbps network / 72,000 servers = 6.98Mbps guaranteed per server, but then again they have a larger network to scale from :]

Anyways, we recieved the .nl servers today, and they launch next week - just perfecting the manager - just wait for reviews if anyone is cautious - and you are correct, it's EvoSwitch.

turbanator
13-08-2010, 05:44
rumour has it RS 1Gbit unmetered plan is behind a switch with 2Gbit dedicated shared with x number of servers but its just a rumour

its not LW its evoswitch

Thelen
13-08-2010, 05:30
He's drunk.

He's drunk and excited so many people sign up with his new LW plans and leaving OVH crappy service

Winit
12-08-2010, 21:05
Inspired by?

RapidSeeds
12-08-2010, 20:03
Just wanna say that I love you, OVH.
You have your ups and downs, but I am grateful of your cheap price.

Thank you