OVH Community, your new community space.

General Request: extra DNS Server entry for domains

NickW
31-12-2011, 20:13
I would like to bring this point up again, as I would now like more than 5 DNS servers listed on my OVH domains.

The reason for this number DNS servers is not ultra extra extra redundancy, but for performance.

Good DNS recursors (such as those used by your ISP, OpenDNS, Google Public DNS etc.) remember which of the DNS servers listed for a domain they recieved the fastest response from (ie the closest) and will tend to send future authoritive DNS requests to that server unless it goes down of course. (Google "Bind server selection algorithm" for more info)

I currently have more than 5 geographically disperse nameservers to take advantage of this.

The reason the really big guns don't use so many DNS servers is that they use anycasted IP addresses for their authoritive DNS servers, eliminating this need and making thinks potentially even faster still.

marks
17-08-2010, 09:52
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Consideration is not an option! You have the power to make things happen marks, I've seen it
of course! All these things that talked about here in the forums are sum up and pass in weekly reports to our developers/network engineers. I can tell that everything is read over. But again, that doesn't mean that everything will be developed.

But the method is quite like this: the more you push, the more we insist. And we do like to develope things alongside the customer. One example: the idea of the vrack came through customer collaboration.

Myatu
16-08-2010, 20:28
Thanks Even better what Andy says

Andy
16-08-2010, 18:48
Consideration is not an option! You have the power to make things happen marks, I've seen it

marks
16-08-2010, 17:56
yes, that's correct, we hold the record! But that's only because we want to show off

yes, I'll pass it on to our headoffice to be considered.

Myatu
16-08-2010, 17:34
Well, I'm neither the BBC, Google nor Microsoft But it is quite funny you'd mention that, given that OVH.net uses 10 DNS servers.

At any rate, can this be considered or no? My other registrar does support it, so I'd have to move the domain otherwise.

Andy
16-08-2010, 12:33
I don't see why it should be your choice how many he wants to use - it's his domain so he should have every right to use as many as he wants.

marks
16-08-2010, 12:31
bbc and google use 4 DNS servers. I've seen Microsoft uses 5.

Honestly, I think 5 should be more than enough

zydron
16-08-2010, 10:12
Well I have seen 4 nameservers (everydns provided 4)
but 6 is over-overkill

Ultra extra redundancy, h'm maybe, but that is also possible with 5, and besides the weakest link is in this case the root dns of your tld registry, if that shuts down, say goodbye to your 6 nameservers!

Iray
16-08-2010, 00:16
Wow. I have never seen anyone use more than 3 name servers.

Why would someone use so many? Ultra Extra redundancy

zydron
15-08-2010, 21:32
where the heck do you need 6 nameservers for 0.0?
/me uses 2 nameservers

Myatu
15-08-2010, 20:25
Would it be possible to add 1 extra entry for a domain's DNS servers (currently limited to 5). Please and thank you