OVH Community, your new community space.

Secondary DNS

OVH.Customer
29-02-2008, 18:08
I think I perhaps need to do the same thing as I am having trouble changing the reverse DNS.

your first name server should be on the first ip that your machine is on (your need to go to the registrar that holds your domain and create a glue / nameserver record for ns1.yourdomain.com to the main ip of your machine.
I've done this and now ns1.mydomain.co.uk points to the IP address of my server. I also have ksxxxxx.kimsufi.com in the DNS records for my domain. What do I need to do with that? Replace it with ns2.mydomain.co.uk which points to an IPv6 address?

loststryk
29-02-2008, 15:26
also note that ns records can take upto 72 hours (normally within 24 hours) to be seen world wide

loststryk
29-02-2008, 15:25
ok lets start again

you have a machine that you host on, are you running plesk ?

you have 1 base ip and you have a ipv6 ip block as well (or so ovh tells us, which gives a few billion IP's to use).

your first name server should be on the first ip that your machine is on (your need to go to the registrar that holds your domain and create a glue / nameserver record for ns1.yourdomain.com to the main ip of your machine.

once you have the ipv6 ip connected to your machine (confirm with ovh the ipv6 ip) add it via plesk (if your using it) then the first ip in that range should be your secondary, again you will need to goto your domain registartr and create a glue / nameserver record for ns2.yourdomain.com

all domains then should be pointed to those nameservers (including the main domain (the one that you used for ns1 and ns2))

Hope that makes sense, and if you have already done this, then let me know where you are now and we will go from there

hope that helps.

Mark
29-02-2008, 15:10
Quote Originally Posted by loststryk
it shouldnt
I think we're at cross purposes here.

I'm looking to get a working secondary nameserver that points to the domains hosted on the server.

Changing DNS settings within Windows on the server under control panel > network connections won't achieve this.

loststryk
29-02-2008, 14:42
it shouldnt, make sure you leave the first dns as your dns (have you created a glue record for your nameservers yet) ?

Mark
29-02-2008, 12:07
Quote Originally Posted by loststryk
change the dns settings in >control panel > network connections then edit the connection and change there
But that wouldn't affect the name servers for the domain(s) hosted on the server would it?

loststryk
29-02-2008, 12:00
i havnt used plesk, the only way i would know is to change the dns settings in >control panel > network connections then edit the connection and change there

Mark
29-02-2008, 11:58
Sorry loststryk, where do I make these changes?

[Server: Win2003/Plesk]

loststryk
29-02-2008, 09:24
Quote Originally Posted by Mark
I hadn't tried either because OVH manager says to use ns.kimsufi.com for the Secondary DNS.

[edit: tried them both now and neither work.]
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ns.kimsufi.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ns.kimsufi.com. 172800 IN A 213.186.33.199

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
kimsufi.com. 172800 IN NS ns.ovh.net.
kimsufi.com. 172800 IN NS dns.ovh.net.

try those

Mark
29-02-2008, 08:54
I hadn't tried either because OVH manager says to use ns.kimsufi.com for the Secondary DNS.

[edit: tried them both now and neither work.]

loststryk
29-02-2008, 08:05
have you tried ns1.kimsufi.com or ns1.ovh.vo.uk ?

Mark
28-02-2008, 23:34
Is secondary DNS actually working?

For ns.kimsufi.com I see:

Tried to fetch SOA record for domain, but DNS server ns.kimsufi.com [213.186.33.199] returned error code Server Failure
DNS server ns.kimsufi.com failed and will be dropped from other tests