OVH Community, your new community space.

OVH Blocking irc.abjects.net now?

Thelen
24-08-2010, 18:28
Such a shame LW servers are almost 50% more expensive

mvegetto
24-08-2010, 15:49
That's OVH for you, I am moving to evoswitch 1 gbit unmetered this week.

Rilly
24-08-2010, 14:40
Its official.. abjects.net is blacklisted as well

Now I need to find a new host, and will most likely lose money this month.. because now I have to get new servers yet i'm already paying for my existing OVH servers...

Of course - nobody will provide me a list of what other servers will be banned.

This really pisses me off.. no warning what so ever.. and it took me 4 days to get an actual official answer.

Thelen
21-08-2010, 17:57
Quote Originally Posted by Rilly
To Clarify... i'm not talking about blocking outgoing IRC connections here.. i'm familiar with the OVH manager and the blocking of 6667 port.

I'm talking about purposely null routing abjects.net IRC server (and another thread indicated undernet irc servers blocked too. All ports / Ips are unreachable. How many other irc servers are they going to be blocking?
Yes I know, what I'm trying to clarify is that this is just an extension of that. IE, previously they thought blocking 6667 was helpful, now they've decided undernet/abjects is all bad, and they should block it entirely since it is hacker ridden and they are just using non-6667 ports.

Euan perhaps I've repeated myself numerous times, but there is only 2 issues I have with them. Both of which are fairly serious regardless of if they are a budget provider. One is a breach of contract, which is, you know, illegal (last I knew it was OK to complain about illegal activities), the other is perfectly legitimate in the contract however not many people had/have realised the extent of what OVH feels they can do.

darkfyre
21-08-2010, 15:09
I guess we will find out on Monday when UK support reply to these threads.

Rilly
21-08-2010, 15:07
Quote Originally Posted by Thelen
The main/only reason they are blocking OUTGOING IRC client connections is because they think it will stop bots talking back to base. Bit stupid though cos botnet run their own IRC, never on the normal IRC ports...

But whatever, yet another reason to leave.
To Clarify... i'm not talking about blocking outgoing IRC connections here.. i'm familiar with the OVH manager and the blocking of 6667 port.

I'm talking about purposely null routing abjects.net IRC server (and another thread indicated undernet irc servers blocked too. All ports / Ips are unreachable. How many other irc servers are they going to be blocking?

Euan
21-08-2010, 12:10
Thelen, you know what? Go and just leave, I think I cannot be the only one bored of your empty ' IM GONA LEAVE GUYS IM GONA DO IT!!!! ' threats, yet no one has reacted nor cared about it. So just leave, shut up and quit crying about the service here at OVH.

You get what you pay for, we pay bottom of the barrel pricing for bottom of the barrel support / service. If you cannot cope with that then go to Leaseweb or another more established superior supplier.

I have had alot of issues with OVH in the past, yet I still know when to use them for what projects, mission critical stuff you do not use OVH for, running development servers certainly.

Thelen
21-08-2010, 10:44
The main/only reason they are blocking OUTGOING IRC client connections is because they think it will stop bots talking back to base. Bit stupid though cos botnet run their own IRC, never on the normal IRC ports...

But whatever, yet another reason to leave.

Rilly
20-08-2010, 22:53
all ports aren't working.. was working 2 days ago on all my servers.. still working on my non-OVH servers.

its like IRC censorship.. I already received an official note from OVH saying they don't want their servers connected or IRC servers that have hacking channels on them..... one single channel on the irc server they don't like *poof* not acceptable...

edit:... unless they are blocking more ports now on OVH manager.. i'll check

didn't help.. all ports blocked..

Razakel
20-08-2010, 22:43
Connections to and from port 6667 are blocked by default. In the manager, under Services, add the server you want to connect to to the IRC filter thingy.

Rilly
20-08-2010, 22:42
I guess they don't want IRC users anymore on their network.. i wish they'd just give warning so I have time to replace servers for my customers.

RikT
20-08-2010, 22:26
Judging by this tracert yes

[root@xxxxxx ~]# tracert irc.abjects.net
traceroute to irc.abjects.net (65.23.157.127), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 94.23.43.254 (94.23.43.254) 0.701 ms * *
2 * * *
3 rbx-56-m2.routers.chtix.eu (91.121.130.56) 0.868 ms 1.073 ms 1.211 ms
4 * * *
5 * * *
6 * * *
7 * * *
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *

Rilly
20-08-2010, 19:27
can anyone confirm officially? i've checked 4 of my servers, and they can't even ping irc.abjects.net yet alone connect

if yes... i'm going to have to move hosts.. frig.. so they allow IRC, as long as you only connect to IRC servers of our choice

edit: note, my servers in other datacentres can reach abjects.net fine