OVH Community, your new community space.

Feature Request: Load Balancing infrastructure for Virtual Machines.

Myatu
31-08-2010, 07:32
Quote Originally Posted by zydron
I thought today about an another feature for the OVH cloud.

Is it possible to manage in near future the cloud (mC and DC) via API?

Then I can automate a lot of things (video transcoding, but halt nodes when idle and power up when there is a task).
I want that functionality too And it looks like the OVH Labs already cobbled things up to test for us:

Edouard Vanbelle wrote:

Vous l'aurez voulu

pour obtenir une session:
https://ws.ovh.com/sessionHandler/r1/soap.wsdl

pour gérer les fonctions de bases du cloud:
https://ws.ovh.com/cloud/core/r2/soap.wsdl

pour gérer le miniCloud:
https://ws.ovh.com/cloud/miniCloud/r1/soap.wsdl

les endpoints sont fournis dans chaque wsdl.

Attention c'est actuellement en Alpha..., pour le retour d'expérience
merci d'utiliser labs@ml.ovh.net
Looks like it's all there. Now to build my own interface

zydron
30-08-2010, 21:16
I thought today about an another feature for the OVH cloud.

Is it possible to manage in near future the cloud (mC and DC) via API?

Then I can automate a lot of things (video transcoding, but halt nodes when idle and power up when there is a task).

yonatan
24-08-2010, 12:04
another thing which is about IP's and load balancing
I use Windows to host my websites (asp.net)

Windows has a native load balance solution but I believe this isn't going to run at OVH.

I can only assign an IP to a fixed IP (I know I can swap it), and the router load balancing is all done by the router on a round robin scale or something like that.

is it possible to assign an IP number to an (un)limited number of servers, so that I can use the webfarm functions of Windows?
this also might get covered if this feature is developed, as the IP addresses will be "floating"

zydron
23-08-2010, 18:15
another thing which is about IP's and load balancing
I use Windows to host my websites (asp.net)

Windows has a native load balance solution but I believe this isn't going to run at OVH.

I can only assign an IP to a fixed IP (I know I can swap it), and the router load balancing is all done by the router on a round robin scale or something like that.

is it possible to assign an IP number to an (un)limited number of servers, so that I can use the webfarm functions of Windows?

Myatu
23-08-2010, 17:52
That would be very nice - a floating IP. You could even use your own heartbeat monitor if need be, but if it's all done by OVH, even better (ease of admin).

Oh, PS, Zydron: The cloud servers are supposed to get a HA range (with auto-failover)

yonatan
23-08-2010, 17:42
thats exactly what it did, still stable and smoothly!
umm , ill have to re check this then .. for some reason its slow for me, like freezing from time to time.

how much resources did u give that vm?
on what type of hardware?
i might be an old disk .. :\

ok ok back to main topic... load balance for VM !!

zydron
23-08-2010, 17:39
thats exactly what it did, still stable and smoothly!

yonatan
23-08-2010, 17:14
I believe that I don't share such experience, I run currently a whole virtualized windows network for my study (VMWare), it runs stable and smoothly!

edit: and another feature for cloud that was promised but not implemented yet, a smarthost for sending mail.
try running a domain controller

zydron
23-08-2010, 16:50
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
windows on a virtual platform is buggy and laggy i don't recommend that.
I believe that I don't share such experience, I run currently a whole virtualized windows network for my study (VMWare), it runs stable and smoothly!

edit: and another feature for cloud that was promised but not implemented yet, a smarthost for sending mail.

marks
23-08-2010, 16:27
is this also possible with the cloud servers?
another very good point. I'll pass it on to the developers. Same as before: it's not possible at the moment

yonatan
23-08-2010, 16:10

another feature request
cloud server with windows (OVH license and our own SPLA licenses)
basically cloud is vmware, i was referring to openVZ/kvm with host-only networking.
but this feature should cover also virtual macs, so sounds like it can work on cloud if/when developed.

windows on a virtual platform is buggy and laggy i don't recommend that.

zydron
23-08-2010, 15:56

another feature request
cloud server with windows (OVH license and our own SPLA licenses)

marks
23-08-2010, 15:48
I'll pass your idea to the developers/oles. I think it's very interesting.
That's, of course, because it's not implemented yet.

yonatan
23-08-2010, 11:17
Hello,
I would like to start using the " Load Balancing infrastructure "
but not to balance from 2 hardware server , but balance two Virtual Server.

actually i need to get the system to probe with OCO on port 79 the Virtual Server itself, and not the hardware server, so if one container drops, the load balancer can route the IP to my other hardware node(s) and everybody will be happy.

currently i run it at " activeHard " but , this means if the main hardware node is up , nothing will be re-routed.
but if the container is stuck ( any kind of reason ) , the monitor does not know about the status of the virtual server, and thinks the server is OK because the hardware is rock solid (MG/HG).

when using OCO, also - this probes only the Hardware server ( NS ) and not the virtual machine.

it is possible to put oco on the virtual server and forward port 79 ( in host only configuration ) with iptables.
but if we are working in bridged mode , this is not possible at all.
also, in this way, we are limited to 1 virtual server being balanced because OCO can track only one port.

but if i want to separate the services.
an example setup would be

A. vps main IP ( ip to monitor )

B. load balance IP ( ip to balance )

1 vm apache
2 vm dns
3 vm mx

this is just an example for utilization of such service.

another example would be , the possibility to provide end clients with "light" websites , who don't need a whole server to power the website, a "light" load balancer. ( light in price and light in resources )

the overall benefit is for us all - load balancer without the need to buy 2 extra hardware servers waste less electricity, gives us more options and overall better service experience.

what are your thoughts about this kind of setup?

oles?